Black People : ADHD and medication

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Blackbird, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    I am Blackbird and I have ADHD. I have had ADHD all my life, going through a constant cycle of uncompleted work, missed deadlines, divided attention, lack of motivation, disorganization and unfulfilled inherent potential. As I aged, I learned to cope with it - sometimes in healthy constructive ways and other times, not so healthy ways. I did learn to mitigate alot of the symptoms to get my GED, graduate from college, hold down relatively steady work, manage a martial relationship, fatherhood and household affairs to become moderately successful owning a multi-million dollar business.

However, because of unfulfilled obligations in Vodou, long overdue, the spirits began to make my life stressful - throwing everything at me but the kitchen's sink. As a result, my mental status began to decline and I fell victim to my ADHD again with its comorbid partners of anxiety and depression. Life became unmanageable and a struggle. I seeked professional help because my ADHD was becoming a big challenge for me. I went to my psychiatrist friend and he prescribed me Adderall. Initially adderall worked wonders. I was more productive, organized, motivated and able to problem solve easier. After 2 months on Adderall, the effects began to moderate. I still was better than a good day with my ADHD symptoms but I lost significant weight. I lost 30 to 35 pounds. Adderall has been in my life for little over a year. Generally, a person is prescribed a 30 day supply so when I run out I try to go 1 to 2 weeks without to eat properly and pick up a few pounds. However, when I am off adderall my ADHD is unbearable, worse than ever before.

I wrote this for those with ADHD who are not on meds. Do your best to manage without the medications. You will thank yourself but if your ADHD is severe or life situations seem too overwhelming, you may want to consider medication. I just advise for you to be wary.

Adderall is a gift and a curse. It really helps me when I am on it but when I am off it my life is hell. I try not to be dependent on any medication but at the moment adderall keeps my sanity. I will get off of it once I complete my initiation into Vodou because my spirits promised things would change for the better. I will keep you all posted.

2. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    My best advice for those with ADHD is to join a local ADHD support group, CHADD is good. Also, make sure you have a balanced diet high in good quality carbs and protein, vitamins and definitely eat nuts. Exercise for at least 30 minutes every morning when you wake. Walking and cardio is great. Fish is very important to your diet as well. Learn the skills regarding time management, coping with stress. Break intensive activities or monotonous activities into small doable segments. Smile and take deep breaths. Love yourself. Give thanks for each day.

3. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    This has been Blackbird's moment on ADHD. My focus is on Vodou for now as I will be going into the djevo this year to get right with my spirits and ancestors and get my life back in balance.

4. KMeister

KMeister Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +242

This is very informative, coming from someone who has walked the walk. I wish you success for today and all your tomorrows.

KM

5. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317

Is a significant loss of weight a side effect? I couldn't afford to lose that kind of weight, myself.

Thanks for keeping us posted, by the way.

6. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Unfortunately Angela, weight loss is a common side effect of most ADHD medications because they are mainly stimulants. Stimulants work on the central nervous system and have the undesirable consequences of both increasing metabolism and suppressing appetite.

The reason stimulants are used is because ADHD occurs due to chemical dysfunction impacting the executive functions that are associated with the frontal lobe of the brain and stimulants are known to increase the functioning to that area of the brain by increasing dopamine and norepinephrine. It has been theorized that people with ADHD either have a low supply of those neurotransmitters or their brains reuptake those neurotransmitters at a faster rate than normal. In either case, a person with ADHD has an impaired functioning in that area of the brain and reduced or inhibited executive functions compared to those without ADHD.

ADHD is a real neurobehavioral condition that can have serious implications to a person's quality of life. It can not be "cured" and it cannot be controlled by merely changing diet or lifestyle in most cases. It is a bonfide illness like diabetes, hypertensiom or asthma - all of which require some form of medication to treat along with lifestyle changes. The best treatment is a balanced approach of diet, lifestyle changes, therapy and medication to control the symptoms.

I wanted to put this in for those who may believe ADHD is a pseudo or imaginary illness. It is not and it real annoys and aggravates those with it, making life extremely difficult to manage sometimes.

7. Angela22

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317

Thanks for that.

I asked because my metabolism is already going overtime, and I have a hard time keeping on weight as it is. I've never taken medication for my ADHD, but in last few years have had a real hold on it. Lately though, that's not been the case, and have just been all over. :10800:

8. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Angela,

I understand. Up until 5 years ago, my metabolism worked overtime too. I was extremely slim and maintained the same weight and size for years. Then all of a sudden I gained 40 pounds in 3 years. I was at a healthy weight. On the adderall I dropped 35 pounds and was almost back to my previous size, which I dreaded. I learned how to eat and maintain some weight on adderall. I did Ensure and Boost to have weight maintenance.

Now I am about 8 pounds off of my ideal weight.

9. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    I will say this. If you decide to take medication for your ADHD and you are on the right one for you, it will be like night and day. You notice an immediate difference.

I went from dreading to do laundry and putting it away to reorganizing my closet by clothing type (shirts and pants), and then long sleeve separated from short sleeve, jeans separated from slacks, and then by color of the clothing. I do things without much thought now. If it needs to get done, I just do it. I am much calmer, focused and have more clarity.

10. Angela22

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317

Sounds like a dream!

Thanks for all the info, Blackbird. And please do, keep us posted. ;)

By the way, this may sound dumb, but would it have an effect on associated disorders of ADHD?