Pan Africanism : Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje : I didn't want to be black. So I joined the skinheads …

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Destee, May 15, 2012.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje : I didn't want to be black. So I joined the skinheads …

As an actor in Lost, he was watched worldwide. As a child, he was a 'black Oliver Twist', farmed out for fostering to a white family. Now Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje is making a film of his extraordinary life story

[​IMG]
    ‘A name to remember’: Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje in London last week.

The more he tried to blend in, the more he was rejected. After a year in Africa his skin was darker, which made him yet more conspicuous among the white population. Reluctant to go out, he was issued with an ultimatum by his foster father: either he fight in the street or he would have to fight in the house. With little choice, he learned to defend himself and also to attack others. As he became a teenager he grew into a well-built young man with a reputation for violence.

"It was a time of standing up and standing your ground or running, and there wasn't anywhere to run in Tilbury. The local skinhead gang really ran the streets. They made my life – and anyone's who was a shade darker than pale – a misery."

He became a skinhead.

He didn't just adopt the haircut and clothes but the racist attitudes too. He fought alongside his new skinhead comrades, who treated him at first like some brutalised pet to be unleashed in battle. "I was like a little dog that followed them around," he says.

Click Here To Read Entire Article

:heart:

Destee

2. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382

There's really much to be said about this article...however, the most significant statement made by him that reflects what we in America need to understand is that;
    This is where the problems really come in. We can take out the word "foster" and replace it with the word "kidnap". The question then becomes; "how is that person or people going to react when they learn the truth concerning whence they came"!?? We have a myriad of issues going on with our people in this country...but it is for sure that whatever they may be, America produced those issues that we are going through. America made Nat Turner, Marcus Garvey, Malcome X, Dr. King. Stokely Carmichael, Me, Sura Suten Seti and more. We were made in America and now America has to deal with us...the good, the bad and the ugly. The war ain't over yet!

3. kruegger55

kruegger55 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    that is so awful. I didn't know this about Mr. Akinnuoye-Agbaje.

4. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I read this article about a month ago, I am eager to see the movie.