Black Relationships : ADDRESSING THE MYTH OF FATHERLESS HOMES

I don't think anyone is denying that their are fathers that don't step up to the plate, but we have to make sure that we don't take such notions and run wild with them....it's kinda similar to the entire "black on black crime" myth...yes killing each other is NEVER a good thing and we need to address the issue, but in actuality every other race tends to kill their own people, as well..........what the article is trying to get at is that we can't put a black mans face on absentee fathers.....just like we can't put a black womans face on "welfare moms"

In my reality, I can.

Black on black crime "Myth" ?????!!!!??!?! You have GOT to be KIDDING ME!!!

Have you spent any time in an ER in....say.....New Orleans, Houston, NY, LA, Chicago, Atlanta, Memphis, Birmingham etc. etc. etc

Have you talked to any medical professionals who work in an ER???

I am interested in protecting the image of the Black man in one way...to change the reality that I see EVERY DAY! I am not interested in sweeping NOTHING under the rug.

Medical schools send doctors to "High volume" ER's such as New Orleans where they can see two to three Gun Shot Wounds (GSW) each DAY. We mostly hear about the fatalities, but black on black crime includes the THOUSANDS of shootings that do not result in fatalities.

Well shame on me then, because I refuse to deny the obvious. Sisters have not put any "myth" out there. Have you looked around at reality lately??? Brothers, in large part, are not stepping up.

I did not meet my father until I was 26 years old. I have two 1st cousins who have never met their perspective fathers and probably never will. My sister has a child who's father is AWOL. My brother (different mother, same father) has emotional issues directly connected with being fatherless. (It did not bother me "as much" because I had great uncles who steered me towards proper manhood, but NOTHING truely replaces a FATHER involved in the EVERYDAY life of a child.)

Shame on ANYONE who attempts to deny the obvious issues we have in our community with fatherlessness for the sake of saving face or protecting the image of Black men. If we as black men want to have a positive image, we need to live it, we need to step up. If you look around, I have no doubt you know SEVERAL people close to you whose fathers are not involved in their DAILY life.

:fyi:

You are dealing with your limited circumstances. The study encompases the entire country. I submit you are allowing your biases to cloud your view. Moreover, you are skewing the facts. If you wish to fall into the trap of misandry, so be it. The facts indicates you're dead wrong!

:em0200:

Last edited:
Brother Kemestry I thank you for posting this as it is very insightful and informative...you should have expected that sort of backlash from the post once women see that one part "failing to capture the hearts of men"....not to knock anyone here, but just from the one response I have seen, women are going to get defensive about that fact and will block out the rest of the article...

like I said....not knocking anybody here....but I can already see women getting defensive about this and not rejoicing in the fact that this article busts up the abandoning black man myth....

kudos for this article

:fyi:

You are dealing with your limited circumstances. The study encompases the entire country. I submit you are allowing your biases to cloud your view. Moreover, you are skewing the facts. If you wish to fall into the trap of misandry, so be it. The facts indicates you're dead wrong!

:em0200:

I am dealing with the reality that is all around you and I. As I stated, "I have no doubt you know SEVERAL people close to you whose fathers are not involved in their DAILY life."

My "limited circumstances" are common in the Black community throughout this country. My family and I were visiting in Lake Charles, La and a kid comes up to my 12 year old son and asked if I was his father, he then said something to the effect of "Your daddy LIVES with you?" My son was perplexed, he has known nothing else. He came to me and asked what was that all about? I told him that in that young boys environment, it is not common...infact it is very uncommon for a young boy to live under the same roof as his father.

Now, be honest, of all the young black boys that you know, what percentage of them have a father who is involved in their DAILY LIVES? What percentage of them live under the same roof as their father? Just "guesstimate", be honest now.

Stepping up doesn't mean sending the court ordered child support payment every 3 or 4 months before the man decides to come pick you up. It means daily nurturing, helping with home work, talking about the birds and the bees, instilling work ethics, teaching them the difference between wants and needs, disipline, teaching them how to throw a football, catch a grounder, teaching them about God and instilling into them the ability to think for themselves and to defend their beliefs and values, encouraging them to reach their potential in every area of life, etc. etc. etc.

What percentage of the young black boys you know have this?

Brother Kemestry I thank you for posting this as it is very insightful and informative...you should have expected that sort of backlash from the post once women see that one part "failing to capture the hearts of men"....not to knock anyone here, but just from the one response I have seen, women are going to get defensive about that fact and will block out the rest of the article...

like I said....not knocking anybody here....but I can already see women getting defensive about this and not rejoicing in the fact that this article busts up the abandoning black man myth....

kudos for this article

You would think there would be much rejoicing over the fact that men are in their corner no matter what

Last edited:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back