Black Relationships : ADDRESSING THE MYTH OF FATHERLESS HOMES

"Despite these limitations it is clear that minority fathers are involved with their
children although not always in recognized ways."

So basically, when fathers of similar income who don't reside with their children are compared, African American fathers are more involved with their children. Surprising? I'm sure that this will surprise many based on the media and sell-out driven stereotyping of black men. Many black women will not give credence to these studies because they don't want to accept that their failures to win the hearts of men have a direct impact on their children. Black children reside in single parent households at just under three times the rate of white children and it is this fact, not some imaginary desire of black men to abandon their children, that drives the absent father phenomenon in the black community.

:em0200:

I am really amazed at this flip of the script. It seems the agenda here is to defend the image of the Black man but you do so by throwing the Black woman under the bus?!?! It is THEIR FAILURE to win the hearts of men??????????

So, as I look around my neighborhood, the reality that I see is just a figment of my imagination, right??? you would really have to deny the obvious to buy into this idea that it is the failure of Black women to win the hearts of Black men that create fatherless homes.

I don't know, nor do I care about comparative statistics between Black fatherlessness as compared to that of other races, but I do know we absolutely have a serious problem with fatherlessness in the Black community.

I firmly believe that every child has the God given right to be raised by and under the same roof of the biological mother and father who conceived them. I also believe that when a man denies a child that right by failing to provide that roof and that lifetime of support/guidance he is responsible, it is his failure. If the woman is still with the children and the man is gone, it would be an incredible set of circumstances that would place the responsibility for this denial of rights upon the woman.

I am really amazed at this flip of the script. It seems the agenda here is to defend the image of the Black man but you do so by throwing the Black woman under the bus?!?! It is THEIR FAILURE to win the hearts of men??????????

So, as I look around my neighborhood, the reality that I see is just a figment of my imagination, right??? you would really have to deny the obvious to buy into this idea that it is the failure of Black women to win the hearts of Black men that create fatherless homes.

I don't know, nor do I care about comparative statistics between Black fatherlessness as compared to that of other races, but I do know we absolutely have a serious problem with fatherlessness in the Black community.

I firmly believe that every child has the God given right to be raised by and under the same roof of the biological mother and father who conceived them. I also believe that when a man denies a child that right by failing to provide that roof and that lifetime of support/guidance he is responsible, it is his failure. If the woman is still with the children and the man is gone, it would be an incredible set of circumstances that would place the responsibility for this denial of rights upon the woman.

sigh

The article speaks for itself. If that's all you got out of it, then shame on you.

Now I will say, many sisters have put the myth out here that brothers arent stepping up. Maybe now, this lie will stop. Maybe now, those liars will be exposed

:geek:

Last edited:
sigh

The article speaks for itself. If that's all you got out of it, then shame on you.

Now I will say, many sisters have put the myth out here that brothers arent stepping up. Maybe now, this lie will stop. Maybe now, those liars will be exposed

:geek:

Well shame on me then, because I refuse to deny the obvious. Sisters have not put any "myth" out there. Have you looked around at reality lately??? Brothers, in large part, are not stepping up.

I did not meet my father until I was 26 years old. I have two 1st cousins who have never met their perspective fathers and probably never will. My sister has a child who's father is AWOL. My brother (different mother, same father) has emotional issues directly connected with being fatherless. (It did not bother me "as much" because I had great uncles who steered me towards proper manhood, but NOTHING truely replaces a FATHER involved in the EVERYDAY life of a child.)

Shame on ANYONE who attempts to deny the obvious issues we have in our community with fatherlessness for the sake of saving face or protecting the image of Black men. If we as black men want to have a positive image, we need to live it, we need to step up. If you look around, I have no doubt you know SEVERAL people close to you whose fathers are not involved in their DAILY life.

i always thought the term "single parent" was a misnomer under certain circumstances.......I remember helping out a professor of mine on some research as an undergrad...to make a long story short my professor asked a group of college aged black women how they felt about "single moms" such as Kimora Lee simmons........they all disagreed that she was a single mom, considering that Russell Simmons was still very much so apart of their childrens lives....

Well shame on me then, because I refuse to deny the obvious. Sisters have not put any "myth" out there. Have you looked around at reality lately??? Brothers, in large part, are not stepping up.

I did not meet my father until I was 26 years old. I have two 1st cousins who have never met their perspective fathers and probably never will. My sister has a child who's father is AWOL. My brother (different mother, same father) has emotional issues directly connected with being fatherless. (It did not bother me "as much" because I had great uncles who steered me towards proper manhood, but NOTHING truely replaces a FATHER involved in the EVERYDAY life of a child.)

Shame on ANYONE who attempts to deny the obvious issues we have in our community with fatherlessness for the sake of saving face or protecting the image of Black men. If we as black men want to have a positive image, we need to live it, we need to step up. If you look around, I have no doubt you know SEVERAL people close to you whose fathers are not involved in their DAILY life.

I don't think anyone is denying that their are fathers that don't step up to the plate, but we have to make sure that we don't take such notions and run wild with them....it's kinda similar to the entire "black on black crime" myth...yes killing each other is NEVER a good thing and we need to address the issue, but in actuality every other race tends to kill their own people, as well..........what the article is trying to get at is that we can't put a black mans face on absentee fathers.....just like we can't put a black womans face on "welfare moms"

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back