Black People : Actions Speak Louder than Words

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by river, Apr 30, 2010.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    We ask when. We ask who. We ask why.

But nothing will happen until we stop asking and start doing.

You say "I can't do everything."

No, but you can do something.

You say "I am only one person."

But you are one.

Here are some things that each of us caan do to contribute our part in solving our problems.

1. Take the money you spend on hair, cigarettes, liquor, refer, and use it tohelp your local schools. Buy supplies and clothes for the school children.

But...but...but those are my only pleasures in life. You want me to give them up? The poor man who clings to pleasure clings to poverty. These so called pleasures actually eat up the resources we need to gain even greater and longer lasting pleasures.

2. Be a big brother/sister to some kids and take them to museums, parks and other places they don't get to go.

3. Dedicate a weekend to teach music.

4. Have a Summer Spoken Word BBQ in your backyard or in the park. Make sure you go through the necessary channels for a city permit to use the park without harassment. Don't assume they won't let you do it because you are Black. Only when we assume people are going to do the right thing and then they don't can we prove racism. To assume the worst is to let true racism go unchallenged. And I mean challenged not with private criticism but with public action.

5. Write your congressman and urge him to promote programs that support solutions rather than allow people to get rich off the problem.

6. Think about the gifts and knowledge that you have and how you can use these. Racism thrives in assumptions. When we assume racism we become quixotic and allow racism to hide behind our actions or lack thereof. Moving forward and inch at a time is better than not moving at all.

2. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014

Here are some things that each of us caan do to contribute our part in solving our problems.

1. Take the money you spend on hair, cigarettes, liquor, refer, and use it tohelp your local schools. Buy supplies and clothes for the school children.

But...but...but those are my only pleasures in life. You want me to give them up? The poor man who clings to pleasure clings to poverty. These so called pleasures actually eat up the resources we need to gain even greater and longer lasting pleasures.

2. Be a big brother/sister to some kids and take them to museums, parks and other places they don't get to go.

3. Dedicate a weekend to teach music.

4. Have a Summer Spoken Word BBQ in your backyard or in the park. Make sure you go through the necessary channels for a city permit to use the park without harassment. Don't assume they won't let you do it because you are Black. Only when we assume people are going to do the right thing and then they don't can we prove racism. To assume the worst is to let true racism go unchallenged. And I mean challenged not with private criticism but with public action.

5. Write your congressman and urge him to promote programs that support solutions rather than allow people to get rich off the problem.

6. Think about the gifts and knowledge that you have and how you can use these. Racism thrives in assumptions. When we assume racism we become quixotic and allow racism to hide behind our actions or lack thereof. Moving forward and inch at a time is better than not moving at all.[/QUOTE]

:terrific::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

At last some real solutions!!!

and once again our sisters take up the mantle to be the real community leaders

3. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    Thank you river. I will add some things later.

One small lil problem - and this is not to pick on you or your post, just making a note in general because it seems to prevalent

I read and hear a variation of this theme a lot: 'Well parents can buy weaves and designer clothes and $200 shoes but cain't buy food and educational stuff or the children.'

I believe this is an over exaggeration of the facts, especially in regards to poor folks. Matter of fact, this comment and various themes are usually only in regards to poor folks, because those with good income are perceived as not spending uselessly or they have enough money to spend that way. It's classism.

Just a note for people to see, don't want to dwell on it. To add.....

CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates) needs black volunteers to be a mouthpiece for children in the system. If you have one in your area, consider joining.

Prisoners (male and female) need mentors or people to help them transition back into society. If you have a program that does that, consider joining.

I don't post what I haven't thought about or haven't tried to do, and that's all I got for now.

4. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    If that is your picture with your child, how in the hell could a drop dead gorgeous sister call herself Medusa?

5. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    [​IMG] Yes, and thank you.

Europeans have taken what they don't understand about Africa and turned it into a negative. When folks do that, I tend to be more attracted to it and find out as much as I can about it, and see if it is something I want to try to accept personally.

And Medusa is one of them.

Medusa is an ancient African goddess from Libya. Her name means 'sovereign female wisdom.' From what I've read, variations on her name in different countries are Meta, and Maat.

Her hair was more than likely not snakes, but long locs (a characteristic of nappy/natural hair - which I love to sport). The locs probably looked like snakes to the Euros when they meant to degrade her. But the snake(serpent) isn't really a negative either - then embody change, transmutation, and transmogrification because of their ability to shed their skin. Serpents also embody something about life - if you look on the lapels of any medic or an ambulance, you will see the serpent surrounding a staff. I forget what this means exactly, but think about what a medic and ambulance does, and how the symbolism of the serpent or snake would embody that.

So hence - my affinity for Medusa and her snakes.

Medusa would be my patron saint or goddess if I had one.

6. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    9 STOPS FOR POWER

[​IMG]
    9 STOPS FOR POWER

The NINE STOPS FOR POWER is the result of a collective effort to put forth a series of ideas which can be used by anyone with an interest in bettering their own life and their community. It is NOT an attempt to be a total solution nor is it intended to be an absolute program. It is meant to be a catalyst for individual thought and action. Take from it what you can and pass it on. It IS meant to be shared.
    (Freedom: the state of being free of restraints;
    political independence; free will)
    (Power: the capacity or ability to accomplish something;
    strength, force or might)
    We see a difference between freedom and power and we believe that Black People have been mis-directed to seek freedom, rather than power. We submit that individual freedom, freedom of choice, freedom of movement, freedom to consume, etc, has blinded us to the reality that we wield no power of consequence in america. We want to focus on building collective power; power to protect, feed, clothe and house ourselves and to produce for ourselves and to be respected in the world.

7. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
  8. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hey sista Medusa.

I appreciate your observation. a lot of the criticism we see does come across as classism. Perhaps i did not adress this issue from every perspective. The children of Blacks with good incomes tend to live in so-called integrated communities (althought there are a number of predominantly Black affluent communities) and their issues might not be broken windoes and lack of books but lack of knowledge of African and African American history, Black kids beind segregated into shop and "special ed" classes, etc. How the parents spend their money and time is very much an issue witthem as well.

And thanks faor the info about CASE

9. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    I LOVE THIS!!! Thanks river for sharing this!!!

I enjoy giving back to my community, especially when it comes to the young ones, since they are our future.

I've spent lots of times since I was in high school volunteering at the local Boys and Girls Club and being a teacher/mentor to those in the juvenile system. It is so rewarding when they want to see you again, because that's when you know your making a difference.

Now I'm working in the public school districts with Pre-K to High School and loving it. I love the hugs!!! It's better than any paycheck!

It's a shame that we grow less affectionate as we get older...The innocence of a child's love is so refreshing and it is a huge motivator to staying a positive role-model in these children lives.

I strongly believe we are the reason that our future (youth) will fail or succeed.

10. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    This is a lovely place to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brothers like to give but we like to receive as well, and the term PHILO-SOPHY means the love of the Black godess of wisdom,
    SOPHIA

and you three sisters here are providing and giving much wisdom to inspire real action, that we all can take part of

without rhetoric, blame or debate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]