Black People : ACLU: Tell Texas to Stop An Execution Based on Race

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Full Speed, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    OUTRAGEOUS!!!!
    I caught the tail end of this news story on my way to work this morning and had to look it up.

Duane Edward Buck was sentenced to die in Texas based on testimony by a psychologist who told jurors he was more likely to pose a future danger to society because he is black.
    The same psychologist gave similar testimony in six other cases. In 2000, in a highly unusual move, then-Texas Attorney General John Cornyn called for the retrial of all seven individuals, including Mr. Buck, who had been sentenced to death based on the testimony that their race or ethnic background made them more dangerous.

https://secure.aclu.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=3608

2. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    They should stop executing people period. There's so much wrong with the justice system that, even if one agrees with capital punishment for guilty criminals, it just isn't worth the risk of killing a slew of innocent ones.

3. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    I think you are right brother. I agree with capital punishment for guilty criminals but far too often do innocent people, especially Black innocent people, get short shafted.