Black Spirituality Religion : Accounting:

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Music Producer, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Music Producer

Music Producer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +94
    Accounting:

In my reading of the Dogon Culture and Religion I have discovered that the entire accounting model of today may be based upon their concept of the Twins and Trade. The accounting model of today is.

Assets = Liabilities + Owners Equity

This formula is the entire bases for all business accounting methodology and is the only way of establishing money flow and measuring the health of a business. This formula must always produce zero.

In the book Conversations with Ogotemmeli he describes an Oral History and Cultural understanding of Twins and Trade. These are the words of Ogotemmeli on the first or oldest perception that I have seen of the accounting formula that now widely used today.

One gives as one receives, it is said, and as one has had expenses along the way, the net result is a loss. As for those who do not stir themselves, they lose because they have to give without receiving. However it all makes money circulate.

-JUMP-

Likewise the man who sells and the man who buys are the same thing: they are twins. And from the action of exchange between persons he passed to a consideration of the things exchanged.
    Trade, he said, selling and buying of two different kinds of things, is an exchanging twins.

Ogotemmeli is explaining that the entire accounting of trade is based upon the buyer and seller agreeing that their things are of equal value and represent the twin or divine birth of twins.

He goes on farther to explain that it was twin ancestor (Seventh Nummo) that introduced the concept of buyer / seller through using cowries (a specific type of sea shell) as a form of monies. But due to the fact that these cowries became scarce they had to place limits or create an absolute market limit or value. Before the Nummo introduced the cowry we used strips of cloth that is said to have originated from the Second Word which introduced the concept of weaving.

I found all of this to be fascinating to read the words of an African in the 1930s describing the entire concept of accounting based on Ancient Oral History of the Dogon, an African tribe.

But I would have missed all of this if it were not for my pre-knowledge of the accounting formula, which pushes more that we as Africans researching our Oral History need to be educated in today’s concepts in order to make the connection of the concepts in our Oral History and Symbolism. You have to be able to conceptualize what the minstrel is describing and the only way to do that is to have understanding of today’s conceptions.

Comments and questions welcomed from all…..

2. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    nice

Great post, how much symbolism do you think is involved in this ideology?

I also have some links on traveling on a budget that I will post later once I clean up my comp....

3. Music Producer

Music Producer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +94
    Thanks,

A lot of symbolism is involved when reading the whole chapter. I simply hit only a few words of Ogotemmeli. For example, one twin being symbolic of (Assets) and the other being symbolic of (Liabilities + Owners Equity). The entire topic was started by the fact that twin caves had been born in the village and for 3 months people were walking around the village buying, selling and trading because of the twin birth. Twins are symbolic of the ancestors and the divine birth representing how the Nummo were born of Amma (GOD).

I plan to start another thread talking more about The Twins because it also sparked another idea or perception into my mind but a lot of people on this board will not like the thread.