Nigeria : Access Nollywood, Nigeria’s Booming Film Industry

Liberty

BANNED
Aug 28, 2015
by Mark Hay
October 8, 2014

Many people now know that
Bollywood, India’s 101-year-old cinematic tradition, is the world’s largest film industry. But surprisingly, Hollywood is not even the second largest—as of 2009, that honor arguably goes to Nollywood, Nigeria’s 2,500-movie, $600-million-per-year powerhouse, the nation’s second-largest employer after agriculture. Because Nollywood has traditionally had trouble finding markets and distribution networks for its films, it’s mostly been limited to cheap, locally-distributed fare. Over the past couple of years, though, all of that’s started to change. New Nigerian entertainment firms like iROKO have bypassed the need for DVD distribution and theatres, bringing Nollywood directly to the web and making it easier for more and higher quality Nigerian cinema to reach the world.

Read more @
http://magazine.good.is/articles/iroko-nollywood-nigerian-film

I watch movies made in Nigeria and Ghana regularly on YouTube. The movies are vastly different than American films and takes some getting used to at first, but I find them quite entertaining. The difference I have noticed is that their films always seem to infuse their culture within them regardless of the main theme. The ones I have watched reflect their strong religious affiliation--Christian faith. Not only in their scripts but they always praise God in their credits at the end of each film. I find it interesting also, that I can see quite a lot of similarities in personality between Nigerians and African Americans--sense of humor, hearty laughter, fashion style, boisterous persona, sexiness, etc. They (and neither are African Americans) are definitely not a subtle people--in my opinion. I believe that's what makes us so fascinating.

I watch movies made in Nigeria and Ghana regularly on YouTube. The movies are vastly different than American films and takes some getting used to at first, but I find them quite entertaining. The difference I have noticed is that their films always seem to infuse their culture within them regardless of the main theme. The ones I have watched reflect their strong religious affiliation--Christian faith. Not only in their scripts but they always praise God in their credits at the end of each film. I find it interesting also, that I can see quite a lot of similarities in personality between Nigerians and African Americans--sense of humor, hearty laughter, fashion style, boisterous persona, sexiness, etc. They (and neither are African Americans) are definitely not a subtle people--in my opinion. I believe that's what makes us so fascinating.

I watch them, too. When I lived in California, there were many African people from all over the continent. So, I had friends from many of the countries, especially Nigerians. I loved to hear stories about their home. Nollywood gives me an extra glimpse.

I prefer Nollywood over Ghallywood, only because Ghllywood's accents are harder for me to understand.

A few months ago we had a thread here based on an article written by an African woman, who was explaining how it was insulting for AAs to appropriate African culture in fashion... that we should not attempt to wear African clothing because we were mixing different African cultures, etc., and I was an insult.

That surprised me, because, just as you said, in Nollywood and Ghallywood, urban movies, people dress so much like us. On the thread I posted, and it's true, in one movie I even saw a brother sagging'! They have weaves, and every fashion that AAs wear today. At first that shocked me. I had "romantacized" that Africans only wore "traditional" dress.

Also, I was kind of saddened that most all of the films at some point zero in on a picture of white Jesus.

But, I love seeing a movie with a 100% Black cast. The movies are fresh in themes compared to the retreaded themes of American movies. Their sense of humor is fresh, too.

You have to condition your mind, in the way you would if you were watching a play. There aren't any expensive special effects. The movies are made on shoe string budgets. But, the stories are often fun to engage. My favorites are the Royal, the Romantic, and the Urban, genres.

*smile*

Liberty...I really enjoyed reading your opinion on this! :heart: Right now, I'm partial to the romance stories. I find it refreshing to see Black men freely express their love verbally and physically to the women they love. They "court" the women and make the effort to please them. It makes them happy to see the women happy. Might be cheesy to some but yeah, I'm a romantic. :love:

Liberty...I really enjoyed reading your opinion on this! :heart: Right now, I'm partial to the romance stories. I find it refreshing to see Black men freely express their love verbally and physically to the women they love. They "court" the women and make the effort to please them. It makes them happy to see the women happy. Might be cheesy to some but yeah, I'm a romantic. :love:
I am enjoying sharing with you as well. I don't know any people that watch these films irl

I'm a romantic, too! Let me know if you catch any really good ones. I'm always looking for a good one.

The thing I hate the most about some Nollywood movies, is this: I get my snacks all ready, and snuggle up to watch a good flick. Then when the movie hooks me in, I find out there is a part TWO. Now it's late at night, but, I gotta find out how it ends. Then, I find out there is a part THREE! Sometimes even a part FOUR!

I am at the point here I recognize some of the famous actors and names. But, I haven't put together what faces, go with what names.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back