destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Hello Family,

How do you know if a person (white) has accepted you as an equal or if they are tolerating you?

This question came out of Brother OldSoul's class today, and i was wondering if any of you have the answer.

Can you tell the difference between being accepted or tolerated, and if so, please tell us how to know the difference.

Thanks.

:heart:

Destee

MANASIAC

Mar 10, 2004
ATL SHAWTY! Mr. Coli Park
Occupation
Technical Analyst
Well for the one white close friend that I have. He never looked at me in an inferior manner, if anything he did not understand me. Once he got comfortable with me he respected me as a human and a person and vice versa.

Zora

Oct 16, 2004
I have several close friends who are white and I feel as if they accept me because they've always just treated me as an individual and have never excluded me in any type of way. They've tolerated me as well because I can be somewhat of a pain at times like anyone else.

I do think that I've experienced the "tolerated" experiences in the work place. I think this because there are certain people who will laugh and joke, but there's never that feeling of the exchanges being genuine. And there have been times when co-workers have even shown surprise when I don't seem to fit into whatever box they've automatically placed me in. Like when I know of a restaurant or know more about the artist of the piece that hangs on their office wall. Actually had one experience that ended up in calling the museum because a boss refused to believe that he was saying the artist's name incorrectly.

Don't have the "answer", but these are just my thoughts from what I've experienced.

Queenie

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
:thinking:

This is an interesting question and one that when I thought about it, caused me to look at it differently. How do I know whether I'm being accepted or tolerated by whites as a Black person? Hmmmm...I guess I don't know and frankly, don't really care. There may have been a time when I thought it was important to wonder about this, but gosh, that was probably during the time when my mind was controlled by racist opinions and that hasn't been the case in soooooo long, this question never even occurs to me.

To think about whether I'm being accepted or tolerated sends a message to me that I'm on the outside or different than anyone else and so I should care about what others not like me think of me. I'm really not curious about how white people or anyone thinks of me. More importantly to me is how I'm treated. That's because my mind has been strengthened through knowledge and awareness.

Queenie :spinstar:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
HODEE Black People : Martin Luther King Jr. Nobel Peace Prize Acceptance Speech _ Accepted the Prize, and asked " Why "... When We Have A Way To Go Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Teenager accepted by all 20 top-ranked universities he applied to — with full scholarships Black People Politics 0
Kemetstry Black Positive People : ACCEPTED TO YALE AND HARVARD! Black People Doing Positive Things 1
jamesfrmphilly Black Positive People : teen gets accepted into ALL 8 ivy leauge schools !!!!! Black People Doing Positive Things 1
Kemetstry Black Positive People : QUADRUPLETES ACCEPTED TO YALE Black People Doing Positive Things 1
Liberty Black People Politics : Hillary Clinton Isn't Only Against Reparations, She Accepted Money from Prison Lobbyists Black People Politics 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Long Island High Schooler Accepted by All 8 Ivy League Colleges Black People Doing Positive Things 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People : SAE apology accepted..... Black People Open Forum 3
cherryblossom Black Children : Kwasi Enin: Accepted into all 8 Ivy schools Black Children 3
jamesfrmphilly Black People : NY student accepted at all 8 Ivy League schools Black People Open Forum 11
MsInterpret Black Entertainment : Snoop Doesn't Think Gay Rapper Would Be Accepted in Hip-Hop Black Entertainment 15
N Black Spirituality Religion : Paul's gospel must be accepted Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
Sha'iyn Black Entertainment : the undeniable, untouchable, universally-accepted, angelic, amazing and immortal... Black Entertainment 0
baller Black Poetry : Open Invi(taste)ion ACCEPTED. Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
S Black Spirituality Religion : No personal attacks will be tolerated. .... Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
Destee Chat

Latest profile posts

Life is just a breath, but your works last forever.
@Destee
During this time, I wanna to wish everyone on this site the most blesseth and positive energy throughout
the rest of 2020 as we continue to persevere and raise awareness during this plandemic.
Continue to stay safe
and healthy. We're in the perfect time to self-care and boost our immune systems through at home remedies.
@Destee
I know this is my first status update since 2020 begin, but all of us agree that 2020 delivered a low-blow
to each of us with the miscellaneous events we have recently seen which brought all of us great displeasure.
Destee wrote on Joyce's profile.
Thanks for the Blessing! Love You! :kiss:
Making sure I do more than I did yesterday. Progress is the Concept.