Black Women : ABW'S IN DA HOUSE?

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by happy69, Apr 21, 2004.

1. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
  2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    Interesting article Sister Happy69 ... i didn't read it all, and didn't agree with that that i did read ... "Angry Black Women" ... gosh ... so much negative energy just in the name ... and then to attempt to put a bunch of us in that category ... please ... i don't know any "Angry Black Women" ... hurt, disappointed, struggling, hopeful, loving, kind, strong, supportive, determined ... these are the kind of Sisters i know.

I didn't watch the Apprentice, or much tv at all, so most of the actors / programs the article listed on the first page, i've never seen ... and can't comment on.

I suppose there are some Sisters that are angry, like there are no doubt, some angry White women.

Can you imagine White women being characterized by such a title ... "Angry White Women" ... not them ... they're so demure, soft, gentle, submissive, sweet, and kind ... the gentile southern belle ... "Angry White Women" can hardly be imagined ... can it?

Thanks for sharing.

:heart:

Destee

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    *I was waiting for a sista to respond 1st before I put my 2 cents in*

Now that the confession is off my chest, I have to agree with Destee. I am not so sure that this is a label that sistas want to champion. Indeed sistas or brothas should never champion a negative stereotype. I also did not watch the apprentice; however, I have heard a lot about Omorosa. None of what I've heard has been positive. The Angry Black Woman is certainly not a new stereotype, and when I have heard it, it is often used as a reason to avoid sistas. Whether it be used by brothers who want to date outside the race, or whether it be used by corporations that want to place a glass ceiling over them....I see this image of black women as being harmful, not helpful. No one wants to be with/work with someone who is difficult or angry all the time (well most people don't anyway).

I don't think all black women fit under this category, and I certainly hope they don't try to. Speaking from personal experience my wife is a black woman (of course), and she is the sweetest person I've ever met. Never gave me attitude or difficulty, not on the 1st date, 4th, 10th, etc. This was one of the principle qualities that attracted/endeared her to me. I have also dated women who always had attitudes in the past, and to be quite frank, I dropped them like a bad habit. I have to fight racism & discrimination out in the world on a daily basis. When I go home, and am on my private time, I have no intention of keeping my "combat gear" on.

I do have one more thing to add for this discussion, and it is a correction for Destee. This is such a thing as an Angry White Woman, she is labeled the Feminist. This is also a label which carries negative connotations. One that decreases the interest of the male (for relationships, employment, or otherwise), as soon as a woman describes herself as being one. Ahhh....labels! Be careful of which one you choose, be aware of which one you are placed under.

4. happy69

Ratings:
    +5
    The Apprentice was the hot topic where I work. I watched 2 episodes of the show. I did not find Omorosa -Angry at all. I found many of the White women around her angry, though. Those were 2 early shows... I knew that she would not be there long. Anytime a sister is smart, assertive and no nonsense she is labeled "Angry." We know why White folk do it.... but, We do it to each other too. How many times do you think in my life I have heard, "Smile." "Why are you not smiling?" And to be honest, mostly from Black Women.

Black Women according to White folk and Black Male Conservative Racists are the historical...Mammy, Jezebel or Sapphire. These labels have historical connotations that can be rationalized. No! I'm not in agreement with the rot, just think about it.
    We were chattel; subhuman ... of course White men couldn't have wanted Us... even when he was raping Us, even when he was populating the USA with mulattoes from here to there...

Lord, this kind of stuff have been there forever.... and as most of you know I think that a person has a right to love who they want and how they want; it is just things like this that makes me wonder how- even today, some of Us could sleep in that kind of bed?

And I have not forgot all the brothers who were killed, maimed for looking at White women... even today-- ok, I'll let this go...but today, a Black young man who had chances that not many have had, is doing 10 in the pen for sleeping in that kind of bed.

5. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    The Best of Destee

Bringing this topic back to the family!

6. Prizefighter16

Prizefighter16 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18

It's just another stereotype in the making...next to all black women being gold diggers..

By the way, i couldn't stand Omarosa...I could not believe she purposely sabotaged Kwame's (the only other black person on the show) chance of being the apprentice just cause she thought that he caused her to get fired...which was false. She was the full definition of a B on that show, and i would never see her as definin black women.

7. happy69

Ratings:
    +5
    PrizeFighter,
    Is is a game of strategy. If they had been white... both of them would have been vying for the Apprenticeship. They were just opposites. If they were white she would have at worse been called a Bit- because face it, Women, period get labled for playing the game like men do... And if they had been white they would have talked about how cunning and great the show was....
    Kwame, played the emasculated, teamplayer, ask no questions just take orders- of course I am not bashing him for that... I think that you have to know what hand to play and when and with whom.

He let his guard down.

Again, I like Omorosa. America hates strong, cunning Black people period and the fact that she was a woman - well that ended that!
    Plus, I didn't watch Oprah after the show where She and the Gang raped Omorosa... But then again, in this raceless, colorless, meritocracy that We live in Black folk just are not called Nigs-

8. Prizefighter16

Prizefighter16 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    For one thing, i understand what you're saying. America is intimidated by intelligent black individuals, at least the persistent ones. Now when they're women, it's twice the game.

The reason i don't like Omarosa is based on her character, and the way she acted, to me, wasn't strong at all, but conniving. But she doesn't represent the race, so I didn't expect her to act a certain way anyway. Youre also right about Kwame. He should have fired her when she wasn't doing her job, but instead he allowed it to continue. I'm sure kwame is doing fine, in probably a better job anyway. Who knows.

9. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I agree....