Brother AACOOLDRE : Abstinence Programs for Black teens

Discussion in 'AACOOLDRE' started by AACOOLDRE, Nov 19, 2005.

1. AACOOLDRE

AACOOLDRE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +400
    Abstinence for Teens

Jackson County has ranked number 1 in the State of Michigan for being extremely efficient in babies having babies in prolific quantities. I’ve decided to attempt to downsize these baby producing factories we have here by offering some abstinence programs for teens. Teen pregnancy is one field parents, educators and social workers want our children to be idle, unemployed but never uninformed about. Because of the variety of social ills related to teen pregnancy and sex, we as a community must work together to keep our kids off the assembly lines of self-destruction. Teenagers should be helped to have a healthy childhood of their own free from bearing children while they are children, virtually imprisoning themselves to a possible future life in a poverty class. The cure for these birth products not being manufactured before its truly intended delivery time is Abstinence. We need a workshop on abstinence to apply the remedy.
    I. Program Preplanning
    Target population. My target population will consist of African-American teens from the ages of 13-19 taken from the Southside of the city of Jackson, Michigan. I’ve target Black males because it’s economical and logistical feasible for me to gather up these teens from the neighborhood in which I reside. Also, when it comes to social programs they are often the last treated on the hierarchical totem pole; but are number 1 beneficiaries with prison incarceration as societies social programming solutions. My program will operate like medical staff identifying a diseases and attempting to target and quarantining it before it grows into a monster of pathology.
    Needs of the Target population. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) reported that AIDS is the third leading cause of death for black males age 25-50. African-Americans only make up 12% of the population but are 40% of all AIDS cases(CDC.org). I want to help teenagers save their lives before they get into this age group. Local newspaper articles in the past has blamed the inner city of Jackson teenagers for making Jackson County rank number 1 for teenage births. According to a recently released federal survey found out that almost 50% of teenage males age 16 has engaged in sex and do not consider oral sex to be “real sex”. This survey became the topic of discussion on the Today Show just recently. (Couric, K. 2005). Based on two interviews I personally conducted I’ve concluded that programs teaching teens about the dangers of STD’s, legal issues concerning sex and other related problems.
    I interviewed two individuals from my target population. The interviews were sad and I hope it wasn’t reflective as a whole for my target group. In order to maintain their confidentiality I will use the fictional names of D-nice and Heatcliff. Both Heatcliff and D-nice have substance abuse problems of marijuana and alcohol. I believe that its relevant to bring up this fact because there’s a direct link between sex and drugs and I would even go further to the entertainment industry that promotes the two social ills just named. A website www.teenpregnancy.org quoting governmental officials stated:
    “Teen sex and teen drug use are connected. Research shows that many types of risky
    teen behavior, including drug use and sexual activity, tend to occur among the same
    teens. Sometimes, it's because drug users tend to be greater risk-takers than non-drug
    users. That means they might be more sexually active, might be less likely to use
    contraception when they have sex, may have more sexual partners, and may have
    started having sex at younger ages than non-drug users.” (p.1)
    Heatcliff, (16), informed me that he wanted to create a baby because he felt that his life was endanger and wanted to have a legacy to leave behind. I’m not a psychologist so I’m unable to assess this backwards thinking to his abuse of mind altering drugs or not; but I would bet on it. A rational and mature mind wouldn’t seek to procreate some offspring if he/she felt death was just around the corner. A caring individual wouldn’t want his seed to suffer and be deprived of being raised with two parents in the household. heat cliff can’t see the light in that situation due to himself being raised by a single-parent who doesn’t even want him living with him. Heatcliff desire for making a baby might perhaps be due to the lack of love and affection he doesn’t receive from his own biological mother.
    D-nice is 19 and almost got tricked into signing a birth certificate admitting he was the father of a child he wasn’t. D-nice was informed of a law in Michigan advocating the non-bastardization of children; which means once you sign that you want to be daddy you’re the official father even if at a later time DNA test confirm your not. Many teens are unaware that child support payments for 18 years can run up to $80,000.00 dollars. And once your on the hook with the Friend of the court (FOC) they could be your enemy sending out warrants for your arrest if you don’t or can’t pay. D-nice played it smart and he wanted until the Department of Human Services set up an appointment for him to get his mouth cheeks swapped for DNA comparisons. The system is slow and it took a year and some months to test D-nice and find out he wasn’t the baby’s dad. He could of ,perhaps, went on the Maury Povich show and found out quicker that waiting on the inefficient operations of the State. Now D-nice is very upset because his mother was mislead into believing she had a grand-child. His mother was attached to this child and even bought gifts for his 1st birthday. D-nice found his mother at home crying over the whole issue. D-nice felt that the girl who the real father was but consider him more economically suitable for the future of her child. This was a hard lesson for D-nice to have to experience. As a result of this fiasco D-nice vowed to have a condom with all future sexual relations. D-nice is unaware that condoms aren’t 100% in operation. Both Heatcliff and D-nice both have negligent mothers and lack accurate information about sex and drugs. There’s a famous saying from the Bible that says “My people are destroyed from lack of knowledge” (Hosea 4:6 NIV). A generation of African-American teens might be headed for self-destruction. Intervention is needed and it will take a village to get the job done.
    Goals for the Program
    The main goal of this program is having teenagers embrace abstinence as a part of their lives until marriage. I want teenagers to walk away from my program having accurate information about sex and perhaps take a pledge of abstinence until they are married as a means of making the goal applicable. My aim isn’t to preach but to teach. Values wont supersede but will work in conjunction with researched data that works.
    Approach to the program
    I will be sharing educational videos to my target population with fill in the blank worksheets as a means to help them gain and retain knowledge about sex. After showing the video’s worksheets will be gone over to see if they got the correct answers then a period of time will be devoted to questions and answers.
    Procedure for forming the Group
    I will be “fishing” for lost souls to become part of my program by going where the teens hang out. I will recruit a lot of my clients from the basketball courts, local hangouts and Shopping malls. In addition to this I already have two teenage disciples who will get their friends to come to my workshop on sexual abstinence. I will also pass out my business card that has a friendly reminder of the time and place where we will be meeting. When possible I will try to get their phone numbers so I can call them a day in advance to come to our educational workshop.
    Size of the Group
    I will maintain my group of prospective disciples to no more than twelve at a time. This is the number of kids I’m experienced working with as a former employee at the juvenile home of Starr Commonwealth in Albion, Michigan. I’m not trying to save the world put just touch the heart and minds of kids just a little bit at a time. It’s economical for me also considering Xeroxing fees I will accumulate every month.
    Setting of the Group
    I live just a two minute drive from the Martin Luther King (MLK) recreation center and this will be the location I’m going to disseminate my information to the troubled youth. With gas prices being what they are I will be riding my bike to the MLK center in the summer time. We will meet at the MLK center once a month on a the last Saturday of the month.
    Approximate cost of the program
    The first month of the program will cost the most because I will have to pay $70.00 dollars for the videos $40.00 in “Fishing” gas money and $10.00 for making copies of paperwork. My two assistants and myself will be volunteering all of our time. Our fees will not be assessed because its coming free from our hearts.
    Financing of the program
    I will not be seeking outside grants or donations from the private or especially from the government. When you start accepting monies from the federal government they like to send in IRS officials and conduct audits. The program isn’t that expensive and I will be able to foot the bill from my own pockets without any undue strain on my personal budget.
    Facilitator requirements
    You don’t have to have a degree to pull this program off. But you need personal commitment from your heart and research the information your talking about. When I interviewed professionals in this field I learned the director of the Center for Women didn’t have a degree but volunteered there for three years. I have experience working with juvenile and adults being placed in treatment facilities. And I must include by own personal experiences of a youth who almost fell victim to being a teenage father statistic.
    Short description of all sessions
    For my program I will be using Pam Stenzel abstinence video called Sex, Love and Relationships. This video comes in 4 parts/sessions approximately running 30 minutes each. Part One deals with the physical consequences of sexual activity. For example: it cost between 60,000 and $ 80,000 for a single father to support a child for 18 years; and can face prison/jail time for non support. Part two touches on the emotional consequences of pressuring girls to have sex. Part 3 will focus on the spiritual consequences. This lesson plans spells out different biblical concepts of love like agape/god‘s love, phileo/brotherly love, and Eros. Part 4 deals with Character. This last video will talk about issues like the “blame game” of blaming others for your bad choices.
    The second video is called No Apologies by Austin O’Brien. Teens will hear gripping testimonials from kids their own age and expert advise about abstinence.
    Session Objectives
    I will be enabling my objectives of my abstinence program by providing learning videos for my new fish to learn new information. For example in session one of my program I will explore the physical consequences of sexual activity. One is being out of the boundary of the original intent of the function of sex being within married couples. The spirit of god will not be with you when your deep in sin. Even Jesus was temporarily forsaken by God on the cross. Besides sex can interfere with your ability to reproduce later in life because every day 12,000 people contract a sexually transmitted disease. The intermediate Objectives will be accomplished through filling in black worksheets while the video is running and having a discussion of questions and answers after each session. My terminal objectives will provide my viewers with the opportunity to take home a pledge of abstinence of their own freewill only if they consider it for themselves.
    Program evaluation
    At the end of the program I will handout an evaluation form to be filled out before they exit the classroom. On this evaluation I will ask:
    1. On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate this program
    2. Would you recommend this program to a friend yes or no?
    3. Did you learn anything new that you were unaware of?
    4. Any suggestions for this program.
    Conclusion
    Teaching an abstinence program can be a very hard job. 61% of high school seniors admit to the fact that they had sex at least one time before graduating. One night of joy can give you a lifetime of grief. This is an uphill battle that must be fought because so many lives are on the line. I’m not trying to save the entire world. But, if my program can convince one or two souls to save themselves until marriage then my efforts will have be relevant and useful. Drugs, sex and the entertainment industry desire to corrupt the youth by all means necessary. Individuals and communities must set up counter offensives programs to end the self-destruction of our teenagers.
    APPENDIX A

PLEDGE OF ABSTINENCE

1. I pledge to myself to treat my body like it’s a holy temple not allowing anything defiled to enter or exit.
    2. I pledge to myself to abstain from sex until I’m married because in God’s eyes its wise to marry rather than to burn.
    3. I pledge to myself to stay away from drugs and alcohol because it not only poisons my temple but may cause me to run into temptation of carnal knowledge.
    4. I pledge to myself to close my eyes and ears to all of the music and movies from the entertainment industry that promote sex and drugs.
    5. I pledge to myself to always be a responsible young adult by going to school everyday until I graduate.

1. Sex Facts for the family written by (Clifford & Joyce Penner, 1992). This books claims a complete resource for sexual issues in a sex-saturated society. The book offers advise on what, how, and when to tell kids about sex. See Word Publishing: Dallas
    2. Black Men: Obsolete, single, Dangerous? The African American Family in Transition written by Haki R. Madhubuti defines the problems of Black men and gives a visionary view of solutions. Madhubuti writes “The idea of sex must again be put into the family context. Short-term sexual encounters or ‘conquest’, especially in the age of AIDS, must be discouraged”. (Madhubuti, 1991 p. 87).
    Organizations
    3. Focus on the family, Colorado Springs, Co 80995. Focus on the family offers a variety of pamphlets that deals with the multifaceted issues on sexual topics. For Example: in one of their pamphlets they write, “Some sex educators have tried to re-define abstinence to mean non-penetration, thus allowing for oral sex…but this definition doesn’t keep one from catching sexually transmitted diseases”. (How to help your kids say no to sex , 1993, p.7) . See their website @ WWW.Family.org
    Websites
    4. WWW.medinstitute.org . The Medical Institute for sexual health dispenses brochures to help teens say no to sex by calling 1-800-892-9484 P.O. Box 162306, Austin, Texas 78716
    5. WWW.hitops.org . Hi tops deals with many problems teens face with issues about sex. Hitops has educational programs offering risk reduction strategies.
    6 WWW.whyknow.org Saving sex for marriage ultimately results in true freedom is a major theme of this website along with keeping families together, safe, drug free and sexually abstinent for teens.
    Government Agencies
    7. U.S. Department Of Health And Human Services 200 Independence avenue S.W. Washington, DC 20201. This government agency provides information on sex issues that affect teens. Recently as cited on the Today show [10-21-05] the government gave a shocking detail into the lives of sexual active teens. According to their survey questionnaire almost half of 16 year old males are having sex and consider oral sex like shaking hands or kissing.
    Videos
    8. Sex, Love and Relationships. This is straight talk about sex from Pam Stenzel. Pam shares her expertise in a profound presentation that empowers teenagers to look at their sexual decisions and their potential consequences. Order video by calling 1-800-858-3040 or write Heritage House 76 919 So. Main Street. Snowflake, AZ 85937
    9. Abstinence by choice By Pam Stenzel. This educational series is designed to confront the decline in sexual responsibility and commitment. Contact Heritage House @ 1-800-858-3040.
    10. No Apologies By Austin O’Brien. In this video teens will hear from other teens telling the mistakes they made. This video will promote self-respect, marital fidelity, self-control. See www.hh76.com or call 1-800-858-3040

References
    Couric, K. (2005, October 21). Today . [Television broadcast]. New York: NBC
    Center for Disease Control Aids and Blacks. Retrieved October 30, 2005, from
    http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr52_09.pdf
    www.teenagepregnancy.org Retrieved October 30, 2005, from teenage pregnancy.org

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I support abstinence programs for black teens; however, I think a different approach is needed to make them more effective.

3. AACOOLDRE

AACOOLDRE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +400
    How do we make them more effective?