Black People : About the Mixed Race Questio

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Kemetstry, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,126
    :10500:

It is becoming quite obvious that many of you dont know anything about the history of our people in this country since before it's foundation to the present.

Originally, the overwhelming majority of black people came here from Africa. As time went on, females gave birth to a wide variety of different hues of darkness. From I cant what the hell that baby is high yellow/white, to all shades of brown and black. This was all the result of white people mating with our women, whether the liked it or not. The latter was often the case.The rest of us mated with Native Americans, hispanics, asians, etc

By definition, these are all mixed race. ( mutes, mongrels, for those of you that are blacker than though, right wing nuts trying to cause desension, and racist divider trolls ) Up until recently, all these people were known asBLACK PEOPLE!!!!!! Today, there is this "movemnet" to call anything with a white parent, grandparent mixed race.

This movementhas in it's foundation self haters, idiots, closet racists and the overt aryan/nazi/klanners. Just as the N word hadfrom it's origins the degradation of slavery andassociated racism and could not be change by stupid rappers. Sobeing black cant be changed by the whim of those that dont know their history and the racists.

By definition, WE ARE ALL MIXED RACE. Even including the racist nazi/aryan nation/klanners. Let this stupid phrase die a horrible deserving death

:toast:

:em0200:

2. StefiA

StefiA Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +215
    First, yes I'll admit to being pretty ignorant of black history - one of the reasons I started coming here was to discover more.
    Now I have to admit that I dont go round declaring my ethnicity to people, why would I really, but if /when people ask I say I'm mixed-race because to me it seems an appropriate term to describe what I am. In fact I've always used the term as a way of affirming the black part of me - now that's just me, because to anyone looking at me I could easily be white -think Mariah Carey shade with natural blonde hair. Now when I say I'm mixed to people I often get that look of 'really - are you serious?'. Now if I was to describe myself as black I don't know what reaction I would get and to be honest I don't know what the reaction of dark-skinned black people would be to me saying that either. Plus there's the fact that I'm actually proud of the Italian half of me as well - if I used the term black that would be denying that part of me and of my Italian mother who went into a marriage out of love not coertion. Now I don't believe that I use the term out of some kind of self-hate or closet racism - if I was thinking along those lines I'd just call myself white and hope nobody found out I wasn't. Now admittedly yes everyone is probably mixed to some small degree so you might say the term is meaningless, but most people in everyday life seem to accept the term as being 1/2 black, 1/2 white or 1/4 black, 3/4 white etc rather than it meaning somewhere back in history one of my ancestors was white or black.

3. kde

kde Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +188
    You are right. This is nothing new and, most often, appears to be an attempt by "mixed race" people to distance themselves from the black component of their mixedness. I have jokingly told folks that I am going to become mixed race in the 2020 census, especially now that I have my DNA returns as proof of my newfound status.

Maybe then I will get a promotion, assert my exotic privilege and the sky will glow with rainbows and sunshine . . .

4. StefiA

Ratings:
    +215
    @KDE
    While I'm sure you're right that some people do use it in that way as an 'attempt by "mixed race" people to distance themselves from the black component of their mixedness' can you understand at all the point I was making that someone in my position actually uses it in the reverse way to that. Also can you see where I was coming from with my regard to how it would be viewed by others - I mean what is going to be the reaction of genuinely black (sorry can't think of a better way to put that) people to some little blonde girl telling them that she's black when she looks like some white girl who's just come back off a beach vacation - aren't they just going to look on me as some pathetic wannabee? Must admit to me sometimes it seems life would be easier if I looked like my two sisters as nobody would question their ethnicity as they're both quite dark (though they call themselves mixed too) - I don't mean necessarily easier socially or economically, but at least it would be easier to look in the mirror and see a reflection of what I feel myself to be on the inside.

5. HyperKill

HyperKill Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +319
    :SuN049::SuN049::SuN049: Now thas just hillarious. That is exactly how some sound.iF MY LOVER WAS JUST WHITE THEN THE ANGELS WOULD SING , MY CREDIT WILL SOAR AND MY CHILDREN WILL BE PERFECT.------------ But on the serious tip, race is just a tool used to keep people divided for social and political reasons. Also economic. This why america will never segregate. Mexicans and blacks are to convienient a political tool. Overall being mixed is just being a human. If I cut a mullatoe open , his "white" blood will not flow down and his "black blood" up. U are simply a human and wuteva egoistic attachment you choose by your own bondage is wat u will be considered. Brazil's 55% mullatoe and 20% black population disapeared when the govt wiped out many "blacks" not by genocide but by changing racial definition. Now only 5% of the population is African. But truth is, we dont know, there could be millions more who are actualy african but the govt has hidden their history.

6. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
  7. StefiA

Ratings:
    +215
    @Cherryblossom
    Wow that is quite some long list of names. Now I suppose out of those I could say in answer to the original question that I was Moreno rather than mixed - but whether that's a word most people know or not I don't know - sounds better than Quadroon though. And its also got the word 'Wigger' in that list which pretty much sums up what I wouldn't want people to think I was if I called myself black. I guess the whole thing probably hinges on what you mean when you say the word black - do you mean someone of African or part African ancestry no matter what skin colour genetics handed them or do you mean someone who looks black.

8. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Yes, StefiA, that's just another example of how African-descended people have been labeled, especially according to skin color.

Now, yes, in my family history, I know that I have White and Native American ancestry. However, unlike Sister Kde, I haven't had an "Admixture Test" done to give me the exact "break-down" of each in my DNA.

But, despite that other ancestry, I am a Black woman or "A Woman of African-Descent" (Sister True prefers this definition)....When you look at me, there is no doubt as to my direct ancestral link to Africa.

However, with people, like you, who have very light skin color and European features, it is not readily discernible that you have any African ancestry.

So, I can understand your plight in how to "identify" yourself and the possible reaction of others if you solely identified yourself as "Black."

Such has been the burden of any person of African-descent according to their skin color, hair color, eye color and features.

That is why those terms such as "Mulatto, Quadroon, Octoroon, etc.." were defined and used.

9. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,126

:fyi:

Now that she has divorced her white hubby, Mariah says she is a black woman.

10. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,126

:SuN049:

Good luck with that in 2020