Black Entertainment : ABC's 'Black-ish' About Culture More Than Race

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by UBNaturally, Sep 2, 2014.

1. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Anthony Anderson Toplines ABC Comedy Written By Kenya Barris & Produced By Laurence Fishburne

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

ABC is taking a look at what it means to be black today with Black-ish, a single-camera comedy starring Anthony Anderson. The project, which has received a script commitment with penalty, hails from ABC Studios, Laurence Fishburne‘s Cinema Gypsy and Principato Young.

Written by Kenya Barris (The Game) loosely based on his personal experiences, Black-ish centers on an upper-middle-class black man who struggles to raise his children with some sense of cultural identity despite constant contradictions and obstacles coming from his liberal wife, old-school father, and his own assimilated, color-blind kids.

'Black-ish' Creator Kenya Barris Defines New Show And Responds To Critics

Posted: 08/29/2014 6:46 pm EDT Updated: 08/29/2014 7:59 pm EDT
    [​IMG]

This fall, ABC will add more diversity to its slate of programming with the new family sitcom "black-ish." Starring Anthony Anderson, Tracee Ellis Ross and Laurence Fishburne, and executive produced by Larry Wilmore and "America's Next Top Model" co-creator Kenya Barris, the half-hour comedy series takes a look at one man's determination to establish a sense of cultural identity for his modern African-American family in suburban California.

[​IMG]
    Executive Producer, Larry Wilmore

Some critics have questioned whether the show, which premieres Sept. 24, will resonate with ABC's viewers. But Barris hopes that "black-ish" will translate as an applicable lesson on race relations and cultural assimilation in today's America.

During a recent interview with The Huffington Post, Barris opened up about the creation of "black-ish," and offered his thoughts on the importance of the show's airing amid passionate discussions about race in Ferguson, Missouri and elsewhere.

Read more...
    huffingtonpost.com

Other sources:

abc.go.com
    deadline.com

2. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    I'm wondering if I should wait on the sitcom 'white-ish' or 'yellow-ish' or 'brown-ish' before
    I take a gander at "black-ish"...

3. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    Maybe I should reach out to the writer of black-ish and ask if he would consider making those other ish-es in the
    above.

4. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    I suggest keeping an open mind, since the black sitcom is a fresh take, even if it's about the same ole b. s.

I. e., it was and isn't about how we feel, it's also about how we can and should be candid and honest, since at this late date we shouldn't go on presuming everything, not admitting how different folks of different eras/etc. were and are, so no one size fits all notion of us, did and does get us anything anymore...

FYI

5. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Well, this is some of Kenya's previous work

Never watched the show, so can't say if this is his style of comedy

But here is an older video of him in a sketch

Very little information that can be gathered on his skills other than he had his hands in America's Next Top Model, We Got Next, The Game, Are We There Yet, Girlfriends, and Soulfood.

Contact
    https://twitter.com/funnyblackdude

And then there is the Executive Producer, Larry Wilmore

"Africa makes me think of hot, and brothers that speak French"

This could be the origins of "Black'ish"

6. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Unless and until you're watched episodes of this sitcom, you can't and won't be sure, as regards if the alleged brother is just pursuing his own self serving agenda, or is truly striving to raise our collective consciousness, etc.

I. e., whatever my likes or dislikes, when it came or comes to past or present black oriented TV shows, I also recalled if the performers or directors had something to say, the writers and producers also had something to sell...

True activists etc. are few and far between, when it comes to the white backed media, mainstream and otherwise...

FYI