Black History : ABAKUA: AFRO CUBAN SECRET SOCIETY AND IT'S MUSIC

Isaiah

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 8, 2004
http://www.batadrums.com/background/abakua.htm

Abakua Music
The Afro-Cuban secret society and its music and religion

Abakua is a men's secret society in Cuba with customs, religion, and music derived from the Efik people of the Calabar area, in present-day Nigeria. Ndem Efik was a water deity, and Ekpe was a secret society related to the leopard, as well as a deity of the forest.
The musical instruments used are the biankomeko drums: Bonko-enchemiya (largest, lowest pitch, lead drum, playing variations), Obi-Apa (medium-low pitch), Kuchi-Yerema (medium-high pitch), & Biankome (highest pitch). The iron bell is called the Ekon or Banka. The drums are held under the left arm and played with the right bare hand, with taps played on the shell. The lead drum is played with both hands by a seated player.

pEACE!
ISAIAH

Isaiah said:
http://www.batadrums.com/background/abakua.htm

Abakua Music
The Afro-Cuban secret society and its music and religion

Abakua is a men's secret society in Cuba with customs, religion, and music derived from the Efik people of the Calabar area, in present-day Nigeria. Ndem Efik was a water deity, and Ekpe was a secret society related to the leopard, as well as a deity of the forest.
The musical instruments used are the biankomeko drums: Bonko-enchemiya (largest, lowest pitch, lead drum, playing variations), Obi-Apa (medium-low pitch), Kuchi-Yerema (medium-high pitch), & Biankome (highest pitch). The iron bell is called the Ekon or Banka. The drums are held under the left arm and played with the right bare hand, with taps played on the shell. The lead drum is played with both hands by a seated player.

pEACE!
ISAIAH

:spinstar:

Interesting informacion. My husband (who is also cuban, originally of cameroon) is a member of Abacua. He is also Mayombero and Padre Nganga (of the Palo religion). Both he and I are descended from Mandinka.

Another interesting thing to note is that they were considered the "moral" police of the africans..... at least until Fidel made it illegal to get away with murder. The rules are strict and before 1959 were very deviously enforced.

Moo moo said:
:spinstar:

Interesting informacion. My husband (who is also cuban, originally of cameroon) is a member of Abacua. He is also Mayombero and Padre Nganga (of the Palo religion). Both he and I are descended from Mandinka.

Another interesting thing to note is that they were considered the "moral" police of the africans..... at least until Fidel made it illegal to get away with murder. The rules are strict and before 1959 were very deviously enforced.

More on the Abakua from a site who's discussion board was the very first I ever posted to in cyberspace... After constant hacking attacks from Anti-Castro Cubans, it was discontinued, and is now defunct... Great information on our brothers and Sisters from Cuba all the way through, though... By the way, African Cuban Abakuas play the hell out of African Rhythms... I saw Los Munequitos De Matanzas in concert, and they are straight AWESOME... Their drumming will put you in a trance, and if you aint care your booty in a sling(smile!)

http://www.afrocubaweb.com/efik.htm

Peace!
Isaiah

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back