Black History Culture : ABAKUA: AFRO CUBAN SECRET SOCIETY AND IT'S MUSIC

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Isaiah, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    http://www.batadrums.com/background/abakua.htm

Abakua Music
    The Afro-Cuban secret society and its music and religion

Abakua is a men's secret society in Cuba with customs, religion, and music derived from the Efik people of the Calabar area, in present-day Nigeria. Ndem Efik was a water deity, and Ekpe was a secret society related to the leopard, as well as a deity of the forest.
    The musical instruments used are the biankomeko drums: Bonko-enchemiya (largest, lowest pitch, lead drum, playing variations), Obi-Apa (medium-low pitch), Kuchi-Yerema (medium-high pitch), & Biankome (highest pitch). The iron bell is called the Ekon or Banka. The drums are held under the left arm and played with the right bare hand, with taps played on the shell. The lead drum is played with both hands by a seated player.

pEACE!
    ISAIAH

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Deep...thanks for the info brother Isaiah...the African influence continues to be a factor in the Diaspora!

3. Moo moo

Moo moo Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    :spinstar:

Interesting informacion. My husband (who is also cuban, originally of cameroon) is a member of Abacua. He is also Mayombero and Padre Nganga (of the Palo religion). Both he and I are descended from Mandinka.

Another interesting thing to note is that they were considered the "moral" police of the africans..... at least until Fidel made it illegal to get away with murder. The rules are strict and before 1959 were very deviously enforced.

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62

More on the Abakua from a site who's discussion board was the very first I ever posted to in cyberspace... After constant hacking attacks from Anti-Castro Cubans, it was discontinued, and is now defunct... Great information on our brothers and Sisters from Cuba all the way through, though... By the way, African Cuban Abakuas play the hell out of African Rhythms... I saw Los Munequitos De Matanzas in concert, and they are straight AWESOME... Their drumming will put you in a trance, and if you aint care your booty in a sling(smile!)

http://www.afrocubaweb.com/efik.htm

Peace!
    Isaiah

5. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Very Interesting.