Pan Africanism : AA Partition U.N. For Sovereignty

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Kannte, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Kannte

Kannte Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    1947 The United Nations votes to partition of Palestine into two sovereign states - one Arab, one Jewish. Under this plan Jerusalem would be internationalized. The transition from British rule would occur on Oct. 1, 1948.

Jews accept the U.N Partition Plan. Arabs, resenting another instance of Western imperialism, reject it.

Estimated population: Arabs 1,300,000; Jews 600,000.

http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/research/cjl/Israel_Palestine/establishment_Israel.htm

If Judaic people could partition the United Nations for a sovereign state WHY NOT black/African-American's PARTITION the United Nations for a sovereign State?

2. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    This is exactly why the conflict is going on over there now. They came into someone else's house...took a piece of land and with the help of other European nations and their weapons, claimed that land as their own and named it Israel. Strange that we can't find anyplace on any map named Israel before 1947. How would you like someone to come in your house with guns and take your living room over and claim that from that day forward that it's their house ??

3. dadachango69

dadachango69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Film Screenwriter
    Ratings:
    +2
    The idea itself is very interesting but would probably be laughed at by White AmeriKKKa. Once these warheads have their eyes fixed on something, they don't let go. As a Puerto Rican, I still fight to separate ourselves into a sovreign country, but the POWERS THAT BE will always have the last say. Didn't Farrakhan bring that up? Or, was that hearsay? Would it be peaceful... or a civil war, I wonder?

I'm all for self-determination, guess that's the warrior in me. :flame:

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Liberia is the closest thing to sovereignty that African Americans will ever get from the US government. Much like modern Israel, Liberia was a case of the US (and Britain in the case of Sierra Leone) displacing the original people in a land, and putting African Americans in. Also just like modern Israel, this has been a source of tension for the country, as native Liberians feel that the "Americo-Liberians" have oppressed them. The best hope for black people worldwide is for the proposed United States of Africa to come to fruition.

5. dadachango69

dadachango69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Film Screenwriter
    Ratings:
    +2

Are they all in agreement? Have they overcome tribal issues to such a degree that it would be possible? That is a rich continent, it would benefit them greatly. But, what about the European corporations and the control of African trade routes and ports? How will that factor into an independent Africa?

I am wondering if tribalism could become the African version of our racism here.

6. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Brother Chango:

The United States of Africa is an idea currently being championed by several leading African nations (many of whom want African American participation). However at this point it is just an idea, no movement has been made to make this into reality. Tribalism is probably the biggest barrier to making this dream come true. If an agreement can be reached between enough nations, then I don't believe having control over trade routes & ports will be an issue (neither would be building new infastructure). I discussed this idea in another thread on this forum, I believe it is on the same page.

P.S. In addition to Liberia, another country that the US government sought to rid themselves of black people with is Haiti. This is our Sovereignty from Uncle Sam!

7. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Sovereign state or not, is there anyplace on the planet that America does not think it has the right to invade if it chooses to?

The problem as I see it that explains why we can't be independent is because there are some among us who want the same things that the white man wants--power and money. That's partially the reason why we're in the state that we, as African Americans, are in today.

How did Castro manage to get into power as he did and rid his country of the greedy people who were feeding off of her? I'm not advocating for Castro but if Africans in the Diaspora want a sovereign nation, then what is it that's stopping them from achieving their goal?

Looking at Haiti and Liberia as examples, what do we see as their major problems and weaknesses? Certainly we don't simply want to duplicate them. Brother Panafrica started the thread, "United States of Africa" and it generated some dynamic and powerful discussion and I suggest that every Panafrican should read it. What's stopping this concept from becoming a reality....FEAR...IGNORANCE...or both?

Queenie :spinstar:

8. Flow Like That

Flow Like That Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree brother Pan. Although there's much talk regarding Blacks in Amerika and in diaspora for a proposal in front of the U.N. tribunal to receive dual citizenship (similar to what many jews have with Israel) with African nations as opposed to an exodus to any particular region in Africa. The transition would be much more feasible as well as less intrusive.

Imagine the economic and political highway between Blacks in North America, the Caribbean and Africa. It would be immense. Africans and African-Americans could develope strong ties and have access to each continents economic and political system. That would be a force to be reckoned with which is why this program should be pushed vigorously.

9. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Flow Like That...that all sounds great and wonderful, but who is going to get behind such a program and how will we attract the attention of supporters? Why aren't these types of conversations taking place in the public arena for all Blacks to see and be made aware of? And of those that know of this, why isn't the information filtering down and throughout the community such that it becomes a real plan and not just and idea?

Since this idea is being compared to the Jews and the State of Israel, then how did they manage to accomplish this and who had what to gain and who had what to lose in this situation?

I guess I want to know what will it take to get this idea off the ground and launched into action?

Queenie :spinstar:

10. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    NN Queen, you asked some interesting questions in both of your post. As always the social-political environment that events occured in must be examined to understand why things are the way they are. The conditions which created Castro's Cuba & Modern Israel no longer exist, and would not be benefical to our cause:

Castro's sucessful expulsion of Cuba's aristocracy, and US interest in the Island happened at the height of the Cold War. Quite simply Castro knew well enough to go to the Soviet Union, and to play them against the United States. This was an effective strategy (quite brillant actually), and it was sucessful. The Bay of Pigs (the US/Cuban exile failed coup attempt of Fidel), and the Cuban Missile Crisis assured the Island's independence so long as Castro was in charge. However, this strategy would not work today, because global politics have changed. There is no longer a cold war, no an "enemy" that the US fears like they feared the Soviet Union.

The modern state of Israel was created after WWII. Europe was in ruins after the war, and the holocaust soured the desires of many Jews to continue to live in Europe. The US became the world's premier superpower after the war (primarily because they were mainly untouched), and they sought to ensure "peace" in the world. The United Nations (with founding members: America, Britain, France, Russia, and China) was created to help promote this goal. Also they US was sympathetic to the Jewish plight, and when they began to promote Zionism, the US championed thier cause. Although many Jews came to America after WWII, it was thought best to give them their own country (a place where they would be free from the oppression & pograms, which plagued them in Europe). After looking at places like South America & Africa, the Palestine state (believed to be the original site of the Biblical Israel) was chosen. Since this country was already a British colony, the "transition" was not difficult. The Palestines were "moved" aside, and the European Jews moved in.