Black People Politics : A working definition of a “conscious” black man

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Perfection, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Perfection

Perfection Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,037
    Let’s begin our analysis with a picture seen below. Take a few moments to look over it and we’ll discuss later.

kneel.jpg

2. Senegal

Senegal Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +592
    I think its a limiting definition. Its all good to honor our Black queens but Black men are much more than this.

3. Perfection

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,037
    Thank you for taking time out to share your perspective. I appreciate your words. I also agree with your comments but may I ask you to elaborate because remember this is a working definition, meaning we all together can build on the elements which will constitute the definition. Should it happen, this doesn't mean we can't respectfully disagree, examine and critique--on both sides--because that's how we can arrive at a consensus or the "working definition."

I welcome your insights.

4. Senegal

United States
    Ratings:
    +592
    I said I thought it was a limiting definition because I didnt understand that you meant to build a "complete" definition and this was a first step. My bad. In that case I feel your picture should be one of the first if not thee first definition mentioned. We are nothing without our women. All else fails without giving honor and respect to our women. I submit the definition of protector. A Black man should be willing to give his life for his family.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Perfection

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,037
    Agreed. But remember, if we disagree on things, it doesn't mean animosity between you and I. We're just having a conversation. I say that to preface a philosophical challenge to you.

Don't forget we're discussing what a "conscious" brother looks like. Your elements are good but if you think about it, you don't have to be "conscious" to wanna protect those you love, right?

So we have Protection, right. Excellent. That's a good one. An important one.

It's necessary, but not sufficient.

Give me more bro? What are some more elements which may define a "conscious" black man?

6. Perfection

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,037
    In order for us to better develop a working definition of the black man's mental hygiene, I ask those who are joining us to consider the three systems of awareness.

A few disclaimers are in order:

1) Yes, many of these elements may be applied to Black Women but as you know our focus in this room at the moment is building a working definition of a "conscious" black man. Additionally, as we get deeper into the analysis, one will come to understand how the perspective of Black Women will play vital roles in each system level.

2) Some of these elements may overlap.

3) Always room for tweaking.

Here are the 3 Systems-

First System = Insightful Second System = "Conscious" Third System = Enlightened

THE SECOND LEVEL

Let us begin our analysis with the second level of the system, first. I wanna start here because this is the system that many brothas say they're on; but later you'll see it's the 3rd system they think they're on, and in many cases it's the first system they're actually on.

To be up-to-date, when we're saying "conscious" we may also use the modern term of "woke" interchangeably.

Think about being "conscious" or "woke." Look at woke. Ok, now understand the woke derivative and not its modern definition. Its modern definition is basically being aware of racism and its accompanying affects. But we should look at it with its connection to sleep.

"Are you awake?" Meaning, are you up? Or, are you still sleeping? Utilized in this fashion, "woke" has nothing to do with understanding racism. Again, in order to bring our thesis to a clearer understanding, we need to take "woke" back to its association with coming from sleep.

7. Senegal

United States
    Ratings:
    +592
    An absolutely needed aspect would be being "knowledgeable" about the diaspora or a thirst to learn. I'm not talking about one hit wonders that only talk about us being kings and queens in Egypt. I'm talking about those that understand and know about the ancient Black Hebrews, west African civilizations, Black history of the americas north and south as well.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  8. Senegal

United States
    Ratings:
    +592
    I'd have to disagree and I wouldnt spent too much time on it. The term woke or conscious comes directly from the understanding of what it means to be awake. Not asleep. Aware and conscious of the things that are going on. I dont see the need to reattach those words to the concept of coming from sleep. I believe the terms are organically part of the understanding of this concept as defined by the english language. What I would do is take this one step further. Are we defining ourselves by our understanding or as dictated by white definitions? Are we employing a general African philosophy when it comes to how we view ourselves or are we viewing ourselves through the eyes of the colonizers? That more than anything determines if we are woke.

9. Perfection

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,037
    So you're saying our analysis should not be based on non-black definitions but rather "employing a general African philosophy", right? If this is what you're saying, I agree.

You're talking African Philosophy, right? Cool...that's what's up. In fact, let's use what you've just given us as our basis to go to the next level.

Consider a piece from the Nigerian academic F. Abiola Irele (2002). In his Négritude: Literature and ideology he uses "ideology" and not the term "African Philosophy" to partially describe what the Philosophy of Africans can be. But we can label his observation as a partial definition of African Philosophy just the same. He writes:

"An ideology, when it becomes explicit, is a kind of thinking aloud on the part of a society or of a group within it. It is a direct response to the actual conditions of life, and has a social function, either as a defensive system of beliefs and ideas which support and justify an established social structure, or as a rational project for the creation of a new order."

Do you agree with this?

10. Senegal

United States
    Ratings:
    +592
    "The essence of power is the ability to define someone's reality and make them live according to that definition as if it is a definition of their own choosing."

This quote has been attributed to Dr Wade Nobles. I absolutely agree with it and the one you posted because I reclaimed that power long ago and used it to reshape my self image and shape the self image of my children. I understand the concept of creating and constantly reinforcing your ideology/reality/philosophy while broadcasting it to the world. When you do this you live in a calm environment impervious to the onslaught of negative images and messages we see regarding our people.

• Enjoyed Enjoyed x 1
    • Love It Love It x 1
    • List