Omowale Jabali : A Word from Atlanta

I really don't know what to say, but I feel the need to post in this thread.

For one thing, I am tempted to (in a jocular fashion) say that this must be an 'Ophiuchus' thing here...LOL...(Bro. Omo knows what I am talking about).

But let me get to the point-

Like several others, I too made a recent move. I moved from Florida to Maryland, basically for the purpose of expanding career [development] opportunities, but specifically to continue my college education at a more suitable institution.

I am in the metro-D.C. area, and have been here for 2-3 weeks. After my previous experiences in this area heretofore (and I use the term heretofore loosely), I would have never in my existence thought that finding employment in this area would be as rough as it has been, especially as a full-time college student. I do the best I can to fight the pride and arrogance in me that knows I can take anyone's job, and do just as well as they are doing. What makes me think that? Because I live to work and am driven to get the job done. I have proven that time and time again for at least the past 5 years. Then there is another problem- perhaps it is the fact that I am constantly on the move, and move around too much??? Hopefully I'll get a job or two next week. I have what I call a huge debt that I need to pay off, especially due to horrible, horrible choices I made over the course of the past year and a half.

As it relates to this thread, the career that I (according to my program of study) would fit best in is based in Atlanta (with the CDC). However, the problem with that is I just left the south, and did so with great reason, never to have to return there again. By the time I got back home to UpNY, I felt relieved like never before - knowing that I would never go through such a hard time again! Little did I know it was in my best interest to stay in NY for the summer (where I could have at least had a job), rather than come to Maryland, burn my pockets, place myself in bad circumstances, and struggle to find a job - then come down here in September ready for school. Instead, I have to sit here and figure out what led me to making the bad choices I made, and how I can bounce back despite them.

On that note, I will close by telling my Atlanta experience. I was in Atlanta briefly last year. I thought of it as the best city I had been in all all places I have been to (even CHI), especially as far as getting around. I liked the weather, and the people there were great (then again, I have to admit that more than half of them came from NY like me, and other places). However, I noticed how things were "flowing" kind of awkward in the city (very hard for me to explain that), and not the type of place where I would want to find myself living, despite the career position I referred o earlier in the post. If anything, I would start up a project to have that position relocated to the metro-D.C. area. Also keep in mind that it is not that I dislike this area; I just came when I should have remained home, and perceived being in this area as part of the reason I am in the position I find myself in.

Bro. O - you know, I started to wonder what made you consider relocating from TX to ATL, but then I remembered we were both born around the same time of the year, and when looking at the moves I have made as of late, let's just say "Brother KWABENA shouldn't be talking!"...LOL) I understand completely - I too am getting sick of all of the "Keep your head up Bro!(s)' I get from people who are made aware of my circumstances. I like the people who did what Bro. Manasiac just did - expose me to things that are possible (at least to start with). Heck - I am trying to get into both the Prince George Public School System and DCPS; hopefully I will get results next week. I encourage you to have an e-mail for them to contact you through, and be ready to take down names and numbers of people affiliated with the greater Atlanta Region Public Schools. That would at least be a good start.

That concludes my post - may get back later.

KWABENA

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back