Omowale Jabali : A Word from Atlanta

Discussion in 'Omowale Jabali' started by Omowale Jabali, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    This is brother Omowale. Moved to Atlanta about two months ago and still cant find work. I was canvassing two days with an environmental group in John Lewis' district and it was an eye-opener. As a old (50), Black male I got 3 strikes against me here and one more....Im straight.

ATL has been hyped as the 'Black Mecca' and more recently as the 'DL Capital' of America. One thing I find since I take the bus and MARTA since I no longer can afford to drive is that from the Mayor's office on down, there are a lot of LESBIANS running city hall and the 'activist' groups and civil service agencies.

It's depressing.

Excuse me if I offend anyone with this but its an open forum. When I see all these young Black WOMEN sagged out dressed like dudes I think that Brother James is correct concerning the negative influence of 'hip hop'.

Job hunting is also a waste because most of it has to be done on the internet and alot of the agencies are nothing more than phishing scams.

Im posting this openly for a few folks who wonder where I been. I dont know when I will be back.

Im down to a dollar and change. If the Black 'leadership' here is any indication they out to get theirs and I doubt if a 'Black President' would effectively change the conditions I see on the West End or the Underground.

The only Obama for President sign I seen is one in Buckhead.

Peace.

2. DARKSIDE MAGICK

DARKSIDE MAGICK Well-Known Member MEMBER

SORCERER
    Ratings:
    +674
    CHAOS

THERE IS ONLY ONE BLACK MECCA AND THAT NEW YORK CITY ESP. HARLEM. ALL THESE PEOPLE MOVING DOWN THERE AND THEN THEY HAVE A EYE OPENER. I KNOW MANY PEOPLE WHO MOVE THERE AND THEN WENT STRAIGHT BACK WHERE THEY CAME FROM ONCE THEY FIGURE OUT IT WAS NOT WHAT IT CLAIM TO BE.

3. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    Omo,

I know you can make it out of this situation because you made it out of a similiar situation before and simutaneously dedicated yourself to others. I got relatives down in "A-town" and they tell me exactly what you are saying. May Amma bless you with all you need and then some.

4. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    Bro. OM- if I couldn't make money online I guess I would be in the same boat too- for the other clients I have around the city business is slloooowww. If I didn't have savings I would be in a terrible jam right about now.

And as I mentioned on another thread about all the Atlanta hype, the cost of living might be low here but the job situation is terrible- that is if you don't have the resources for your own hustle or business. I'm glad you noticed the "black leadership" because that is precisely what people need to see- which is why I still say it will only be through inspiration that a Black President will change anything in this country....but that doesn't stop me from profiting off a few Obama T-shirts...hey, business is business. Non-Jews have to eat too.

Those sagged out Black Women have become the norm here unfortunately, sometimes I forget they are there until someone points them out. It is depressing to the highest degree, it took me three tries to get it right here - in the end I settled for less money but I used it to build up to doing the freelancing I do now. I still have faith in this city, minus the knuckleheads you see running around there is potential hidden. But I guess that's the case with any Black dominated city right?

I was lucky not to struggle in Atlanta that much, my struggling days was in Florida- I found myself working "labor ready" with a crew of rednecks. I see the same situations here in Atlanta too, but most Brothas have to grab a lawnmower if they really want to make money. Grass makes me itch, I can't do it. Or mobile detailing, I did for some time. I was working with a Brotha that was making like $350 a day washing cars in Buckhead, he paid me $80 a day and I was fine with it. It's been almost 8 years and I haven't worked for a White person since I've been here.

I would check on craigslist.com, there are some real jobs on there, I still find some projects on that site. Right now, if you can figure out a way to get gas back down to $3.00, then you have a job.

Considering your skill level, something has to show up eventually. I'll keep an ear and eye open.

5. DARKSIDE MAGICK

DARKSIDE MAGICK Well-Known Member MEMBER

SORCERER
    Ratings:
    +674
    CHAOS

NOW THATS FUNNY, BECAUSE NOW THEY PUMPING UP DALLAS/FT WORTH AND HOUSTON AS THE "NEW" BLACK MECCA BECAUSE OF THEIR UNDERVAULED REAL ESTATE AND LOW UNEMPLOYMENT

6. Jazzytude

Jazzytude Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8
    First Off!!!!!!!!!!1

I want to say ..."Keep your head up" my brother!!! I know a few peps out there who might know of any work...but I don't know what you do or have done. But I heard you say last dollar and ...that tells me for right now that something is better than nothing.

peacewelcome at yahoo........................For real.

Now as for the gay thing I know exactly what you are talking about and guess what...I herd the men is just as bad with that gay thing out their too. And folks wonder why I run my mouth about the black family and our choices of. Regardless tho...I don't care what they do it is their life but dont be getting the kids all messed up having them call women men and men women.

WE really do need to start looking at our sistuations as a whole...all the hype and I can see straight thru. If we think Obama is going to be the great GRAY Hope than we have more problems than I thought. I am not satisfied.

My people like and play into that ...it look good than it must be good thing. Well not this sistah...even if he do become president what makes me think he will do the right thing...what... the fact that he is black?....NOT!

I really do believe that things will start to change in the next year drastically but will it be for the betterment of the american people that remains to be seen. I tell you one thing if he do win and don't do something about reperations...it will be his last term. I will make that happen!!!

Hang on.....Be Strong.....PEACE

7. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    Yes Bro. OM so true. The word on the street is "Mayor Franklin" is the best thing that ever happened for White folks...hopefully the same will not be said about Obama. I dislike that word too - "hustle" which does imply doing something just to get over on someone so you can make money but that is pretty much what I see around this town.

But I always called Atlanta a "hustle city" because of that. I'm in a strange bracket, a High school buddy of mine came down to visit Atlanta just a few days ago and he told me he wouldn't leave New York because of his business there, but that he would move to Atlanta because of the real estate. I told him just about everyone is doing that and personally it's only a good idea if you have the resources considering the job market. We are both in a techie type job situation- he has contracts with Staples, Office Depot, BestBuy etc., doing their networking so he can basically move anywhere he wanted to because of his skill level- if he wanted too.

For me, I'm here in Atlanta because of it's small clusters of Black Artists like myself. I always tell people to move to the place where your soul/mind can eat, your body can fend for itself. I know a few Black landscapers in Atlanta that make a killing, well over $100,000 a year as well as General Contractors, but it takes work to get to that level. Since I am in web and print publishing the majority of money I earn is made through advertising, this is why I know so much about how businesses are doing here, I can tell by what clients purchase the most ads. I'm certain you're not into African braiding or hair styling- or cutting hair, well- that's Atlanta's stable incomers, next to those who make the best cornbread and barbecue sauce.

I'm still under 35 so who knows- I still have the will to fight it out- but even Bro. Keidi from libradio told me that Atlanta was crazy, he used to live here too before he moved out to Kali. If the place feeds your mind/soul that's the place for you. I have a friend out in Kali who is a teacher and she wants to move to Atlanta for some reason too. I get complaints from teachers all the time about what they have to put with for the pay so I wouldn't wish a teacher's job on anyone. But I do support online homeschooling which seems to be a growing market. Anything that deals with burning less gas traveling all over the place will be a growing market for the next 10 years. Don't let your web savvy skills go to waste.

8. tyab14

tyab14 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +78
    Wow.... I'm going to school out in Atlanta and this is sad to hear. I don't know much about the city because I am new but I can see some of what you are talking about. Specially with West End.

I defintely can see the avenues that are making cash is mostly food, hair, clothes, stuff like that. I wanted to go head and start some businesses soon, but its looking kind of shaky out there.

9. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    Thanks for dropping us a hello, brother omowale - Although the news isnt too good, hearing from you is. Take care!

:heart:

10. lite16

lite16 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self-employed
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am feeling you Bro. Omowale-
    I'm in Atl and thinking of making that move back up north. MetaSaience- I do need to get more acquainted with the artist community here since I am in the business of art and commerce. (my own venture) The only way I see making it here is through self employment. I'm there, but I need some capital which is why I'm thinking of going back to NYC. I want to wait it out because I feel that there is much potential here, but I also do not want to go completely broke and crazy so..basically I wish I knew a sage of some kind to see. I really want to make the right decisions this time. So, Bro. I feel you and everyone else who is roaming trying to find home.