Omowale Jabali : A Word from Atlanta

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
This is brother Omowale. Moved to Atlanta about two months ago and still cant find work. I was canvassing two days with an environmental group in John Lewis' district and it was an eye-opener. As a old (50), Black male I got 3 strikes against me here and one more....Im straight.

ATL has been hyped as the 'Black Mecca' and more recently as the 'DL Capital' of America. One thing I find since I take the bus and MARTA since I no longer can afford to drive is that from the Mayor's office on down, there are a lot of LESBIANS running city hall and the 'activist' groups and civil service agencies.

It's depressing.

Excuse me if I offend anyone with this but its an open forum. When I see all these young Black WOMEN sagged out dressed like dudes I think that Brother James is correct concerning the negative influence of 'hip hop'.

Job hunting is also a waste because most of it has to be done on the internet and alot of the agencies are nothing more than phishing scams.

Im posting this openly for a few folks who wonder where I been. I dont know when I will be back.

Im down to a dollar and change. If the Black 'leadership' here is any indication they out to get theirs and I doubt if a 'Black President' would effectively change the conditions I see on the West End or the Underground.

The only Obama for President sign I seen is one in Buckhead.

Peace.

Bro. OM- if I couldn't make money online I guess I would be in the same boat too- for the other clients I have around the city business is slloooowww. If I didn't have savings I would be in a terrible jam right about now.

And as I mentioned on another thread about all the Atlanta hype, the cost of living might be low here but the job situation is terrible- that is if you don't have the resources for your own hustle or business. I'm glad you noticed the "black leadership" because that is precisely what people need to see- which is why I still say it will only be through inspiration that a Black President will change anything in this country....but that doesn't stop me from profiting off a few Obama T-shirts...hey, business is business. Non-Jews have to eat too.

Those sagged out Black Women have become the norm here unfortunately, sometimes I forget they are there until someone points them out. It is depressing to the highest degree, it took me three tries to get it right here - in the end I settled for less money but I used it to build up to doing the freelancing I do now. I still have faith in this city, minus the knuckleheads you see running around there is potential hidden. But I guess that's the case with any Black dominated city right?

I was lucky not to struggle in Atlanta that much, my struggling days was in Florida- I found myself working "labor ready" with a crew of rednecks. I see the same situations here in Atlanta too, but most Brothas have to grab a lawnmower if they really want to make money. Grass makes me itch, I can't do it. Or mobile detailing, I did for some time. I was working with a Brotha that was making like $350 a day washing cars in Buckhead, he paid me $80 a day and I was fine with it. It's been almost 8 years and I haven't worked for a White person since I've been here.

I would check on craigslist.com, there are some real jobs on there, I still find some projects on that site. Right now, if you can figure out a way to get gas back down to $3.00, then you have a job.

Considering your skill level, something has to show up eventually. I'll keep an ear and eye open.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back