Black History Culture : A Tuskegee Airmen & His Pilot Wife

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by famalert, May 23, 2012.

1. famalert

famalert Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +24
    Mildred Hemmon Carter was the wife of Herbert Carter, one of the original 33 Tuskegee Airmen. She was also Alabama’s first Black female pilot. In 1942, although Herbert spent most of his time training to become a Tuskegee Airmen, he and Mildred would rendezvous in the air on Fridays at 3,000 feet above a bridge in Lake Martin. Her plane didn’t have a radio so the couple would wave, exchange smiles and blow kisses. They were known as "Tuskegee's First Couple" and were married for 70 years until her death last year. "The Redtails" could certainly have included their unusual story in that film instead of erasing Black women from the lives of the Tuskegee Airmen.

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... Very interesting point famalert. Since I don't follow a lot of films, who's responsible for writing Redtails?

Peace In,

3. famalert

famalert Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +24
    Aaron McGruder, the creator of the controversial "Boondocks" cartoon, co-wrote it. Filmmaker Geoge Lucas of "Star Wars Fame" financed it and may have co-written it as well. I don't know why a cartoonist was tapped to write the script instead of a Black historian. Lucas tried unsuccessfully for many years to get Hollywood to finance this film so he finally bankrolled it. Given this, Black media outlets encouraged the Black community to support this film despite the fact it excludes Black women and includes an Italian woman having a relationship with a Black airmen. Asking Black women to ignore this and yet support the film is akin to asking Black men to support "The Color Purple" and overlook its negative portrayal of most of them.

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... Thanks famalert, this explains why the black women was omitted, a cartoonist did the script/writing, wow... smh. I've wondered why I haven't seen the movie yet nor had that sense of urgency to see it; but now I know why, thanks to you... :toast:

Peace In,