Black People : a step on my journey

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Christiana, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Christiana

Christiana Member MEMBER

student
    Ratings:
    +2
    as those of you who read my post know, I'm on a journey of finding out what it means to me to be black. Last night I talked to a very inspirational person who gave me insight into the black experience. Black people I found out are overcomers. Our ancestors fought and prayed us to the point where we are today. Sure we have a long ways to go, but we have come very far. I mean, we might even have the first black president. People in my parents day probably never even imagined that that day would actually come.

I've also been finding out this past year that the complaints that I've heard all my life from my parents about facing racism is very real. I use to discount their frustrations. I told myself that they grew up in a different time, and they see any type rudeness as racism. I'm discovering however that even though they grew up in a different generation "theres nothing new under the son." (Ecclesiastes). Prejudice and hate is something that has been deep seeded in the human condition since the fall of man.

Our African Americans ancestors were forced onto slave ships and into back breaking labor by people who didn't see them as human beings, but as property. They were whipped, torchered, and worked to the bone. They were denied all rights. When slavery was over many were in bondage by poverty. They were denied equality. They were segregated and treated as second class citizens. And yet they refused to quit. They demanded freedom. They stayed strong, no matter what any one else did to them. Thats the kind of people that i come from. People who are overcomers, people who triumph over adversity, people who would not rest until equality was won for all people. I am blessed beyond comparison. I can ride the bus and sit anywhere I want. I didn't have to go to a segregated school. I can vote. I made it to college. And i must never forget that my ancestors prayed me here. They broke their backs. They survived so that their decendants may one day have a better life.

In this step of my journey I am filled with pride for who I am. I thank God for it.

2. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Peace and an abundance of Blessings on your Journey!

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Sister Christiana ... this is beautiful and a real testament to all who have gone before you.

Such a blessing to read, to have one so wise as you in our midst, providing continued hope for those yet to come.

Remain Forever Encouraged Sister!

Thank You For Sharing!

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee