Law Forum : A Society Without Prisons: Envisioning the Radical Philosophy of Angela Davis

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by Liberty, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    [​IMG]

Over the past decade, we have experienced a resurgence of interest in social justice as the movement for Black lives continues to grow.
    Black Lives Matter and other activist networks have galvanized the public around issues of anti-Black racism and the over-representation of Black and brown people in American prisons. The prison industrial complex (PIC), a vast network of American government and industry interests, incarcerates more human beings than any other nation in the world. Over 60 percent of inmates are people of color. Women are the fastest-growing population among new prisoners. One in 10 Black men in their 30s is incarcerated in the U.S.

Read more

http://atlantablackstar.com/2017/04...-envisioning-radical-philosophy-angela-davis/

A Society Without Prisons: Envisioning the Radical Philosophy of Angela Davis - Atlanta Black Star

Over the past decade, we have experienced a resurgence of interest in social justice as the movement for Black lives continues to grow. Black Lives Matter
    atlantablackstar.com

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    In the land of the greedy, there's too much money and profit to be made in the prison system, especially as we see more transitioning to the private industry as opposed to state and federal government. The value of a person's life means something entirely different in America than in countries that place greater on the quality of a person's life over and above them being incarcerated and the money that can be made from it. The more that get locked up, especially those that society place a lower value of, the better.

3. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    Angela is way ahead of the times..

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    Yes she was/is, which is why she was once on the FBI's Most Wanted list in the early 1970s. She scared a lot of people because she saw through the BS and America had to shut her down because too many people, Black people in particular, paid attention to what she was revealing. "They" didn't kill her, but they made sure she was made suspect and perceived to be guilty of crimes she never committed.

5. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,598
    Also I applaud Angela Davis stands in defense of our awfully diverse peoples human rights as well...

6. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    Yep. When I was at SFSU for a few quarters, Angela was a Professor there. And, she NEVER went anywhere without this huge German Shepard... and when I say huge, I mean HUGE! The biggest German Shepard I have ever seen. Make you think not twice but three times about entering her personal space. I'm sure he was trained to defend her.