Black Sports : A Sermon for the Soccer Fan

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by LostInThought, Aug 1, 2003.

1. LostInThought

LostInThought Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Come on my soccer people - it is time to stand up. You have nothing to be ashamed of. The public at large may not be feeling it, but we are fans of the most popular sport in the Black World. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to poll anyone, or read any statistics to support this. But soccer has to be more popular than basketball, or cricket.

So, I'll ask it one more time.....

Will the real soccer fans stand up, and be counted.

Here I am in front of everybody...

with my hand held high....

(and my cap pulled down over my face)

I ain't ashamed :)

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    it's a nice sport very open and less dangerious
    i haven't gotten into it yet .......i mean who are the stars
    in this sport ??

3. LostInThought

LostInThought Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    There are so many great players to name, but here is a short list of my favorites:

(Name, Country, Team(club), Position)

Ronaldinho, Brazil, Barcelona, Forward

not to be confused with...

Ronaldo, Brazil, Real Madrid, Forward

Samuel Eto'o, Cameroon, Mallorca, Forward

David Beckham, England, Real Madrid, Midfielder

Thierry Henry, France, Arsenal, Forward

Lilian Thuram, France, Juventus, Defender

Zinedine Zidane, France, Real Madrid, Midfielder

Mido, Egypt, Marseille, Forward

DaMarcus Beasley, USA, Chicago Fire, Midfielder

Eddie Pope, USA, MetroStars, Defender

Tim Howard, USA, Manchester United, Goalkeeper

Alvaro Recoba, Uruguay, Internazionale, Forward

Rui Costa, Portugal, AC Milan, Midfielder

Clarence Seedorf, Holland, AC Milan, Midfielder

Dida, Brazil, AC Milan, Goalkeeper

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    thankz .......maybe i can get into this sport but right now
    i'm not into it but i've watched it only once

5. Emeka

Emeka Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5

I hear you!!! Soccer (Football) is the GREATEST sport on Earth--PERIOD!!! I have been a fan all my life and would never have it any other way. The game has so many legends past and presents, all who are the topics of serious debate. the great Maradonna (Argentina) has always been my personal best player of all time. His dribbling skills on the ball were simply magical-despite the drug thing. The are many players of today who also deserve praise like Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Zinadine Zidane, Roberto-Carlos, Lilian Turame, Thierry Henry, Raul, Saviola, Veron, Luis Figo, Alessandro del Piero, Hydeoshi Nakata, Christian Vieri, Michael Owen, Patrik Kleivert...and of course Mr Beckham!!!

There are also debates over which nation clubs, leagues and teams are the best. In terms of clubs most people agree that Real Madrid FC, Man United FC, Barcelona FC, Juventus FC, Bayen Munich FC, Brussia Dortman FC, Inter Milan FC, AC Milan FC, Lazio FC and Paris Saint-Germain FC are the best teams of Europe (Europe having the best leagues in the world).

When it comes to leagues Spain, Italy, and England have the best leagues (followed by France and Germany). All the others are really non existant. In terms of flair and dribbling Spain and Italy are kings. However, the English league has an unexplainable "something" which keeps people interested. In fact the English league is the richest-financially-sports league (that includes the NBA, NFL and NBL) in the world. All though you wouldn't know it if you compared the wages of English players-even though they earn astronomical sums-with that of their continental counterparts. The European Champions League is the top overall league. It's the league were all the nation leage champions (all the this has expanded to include runner up teams) of Europe compete to find the best in Europe. This championship has been dominate by Real Madrid FC, who are widely believed to be THE best club team in the world, although Man United is the most popular and the richest.

In terms of national teams Brazil (the current world champions) is King. Although there are some teams that have legitamate claims to the crown, such as Germany, Italy and Argentina. These four teams are in the top echelons in ratings because they've won the World Cup more than once (note- although Uruguay has also one the cup more than once they are not rated highly because they have not made any impact on the game since they last one in the 1950s!). In affect they ARE the aristocracy of the international game. England-having only won the cup once in 1966-badly wishes to join the group but just does n't seem to have luck on her side; Nethaland (Holland) is the best team never to have won a World Cup; And France is a new pretender-having won the cup in 1998 by beating Brazil in the final.

I truly love the game-VERY MUCH!!! It's one of my favourite teams (I have two) is one of my great passions. In case you're wondering I support Liverpool FC (Engliand) and Juventus FC (Italy). Thanx for the thread---I love it!!!