Black Entertainment : A Rapper Salutes the Slave Trade

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Zulile, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    I thought he couldnt get dumber than 'Superman dat ho'...

Article Here

Last week in Atlanta, I got to interview Soulja Boy Tell Em. I found out just how young he really is. He was one of about ten rappers I interviewed in one day for my BET show, The Black Carpet. I decided it'd be fun to give all the rappers part of the Proust questionnaire. I thought it'd be a way to get beyond image and into who they really are. Most of the guys gave good, thoughtful, intelligent, sensitive answers. I asked Juelz Santana, “How would you like to die?” He said, "Loved."

Then came Soulja Boy Tell Em. I asked him, “What historical figure do you most hate?” He was stumped. I said, "Others have said Hitler, bin Laden, the slave masters..." He said, "Oh wait! Hold up! Shout out to the slave masters! Without them we'd still be in Africa."

My jaw, at this point, was on the ground."We wouldn't be here," he continued, having no idea how far in it he'd stepped, "to get this ice and tattoos."

Wow. Never mind that diamonds come from Africa. Never mind that there were many generations of pain in between leaving Africa and getting diamonds. Never mind that the long-term cataclysmic effects of subtracting about tens of millions of young, strong people from Africa over the course of a couple of centuries is a large part of the reason why Africa now appears so distasteful to you. Never mind all that, Soulja Boy. You put country first.

2. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    can't say i'm too surprised....
    hopefully this brother will eventually see the light...
    we have to give the youth a lil buffer space...
    but it sounds like this youngin has had not type of formal black education....smh
    whatever....

one love
    khasm

3. PLATINUMILLITY1

PLATINUMILLITY1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Full Time Student and Independant Buisness Owner
    Ratings:
    +38
    Isnt It just so much????!!!!!
    You go to the poll to vote for your first president of ethnicity and peope callin out N***s Isnt it just so much??????

4. naija-man

naija-man Well-Known Member MEMBER

STUDENT
    Ratings:
    +9
    he said that?!..I'm not really surprised.
    obviously he didn't think before he spoke..

I kinda get what he waz tryna say, in the 'shoutout'.BUT....it flopped dramatically.

basically what he meant: he is happy with his life in USA...the privileges and luxury he has...ect.
    the images he has seen of Africa haven't been all good....so in his mind he feels he would be better off in USA.

it wasn't a smart thing 2 say.YES we know that. but also the media which projects this images have a small part to play.

remember, we cannot just ridicule him, he needs guideance.
    (There are others who share his mindset)

he saw it as:If he was in Africa, "souljah boy" wouldn't have existed.

Even tho' I think Jay Z is a cool dude..he did say in his lyrics:

5. Nasheed

Nasheed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Otr Truck Driver
    Ratings:
    +168
    CONDITIONING OF THE MIND

This just goes 2 show how degraded some bro's minds are.
    These r the kinda responses I get when I talk 2 young bro's here in St. Louis.
    It's sad but I still try 2 reach them.
    They have no sense of self or the respect for the ones who paid with their blood so that they have the privileage to make the music/garbage they do.
    Although Im frustrated and tired, I will continue and try 2 reach them.
    I think every Old "G" as they call it should, no matter the response.:SuN008:

6. Jahari Kavi

Jahari Kavi Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Self Development
    Ratings:
    +523
    yeah.......................soulja boy is wack.............in more ways than one

hopefully the brother gets his mind together, and hopefully he put some money aside that he made off of his single, because he won't be relevant in a year..................