Black People : A QUESTION FOR BLACK REPUBLICANS

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by diakonos, Sep 16, 2004.

1. diakonos

diakonos Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Tavis Smiley had an interesting article on NPR yesterday on the GOP’s efforts to get black voters to cross party lines. Black folk vote overwhelmingly democratic. That being the case, Bush and the Republican Party have apparently made a concerted effort to engage the Black community. In his campaigning, Bush has been trying to offer African Americans an “alternative.” Of course, I don’t buy any of that crap, but it does bring up an interesting question. Why does any Black person in America vote republican? Are there any Black republicans in this forum? If so, let’s here from you.

2. bigtown

bigtown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    I WOULDN'T CALL MYSELF A REPUBLICAN, MORE LIKE A CONSERVATIVE INDEPENDENT. MY PROBLEM WITH THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY IS THAT IT TAKES US FOR GRANTED. THEY'VE COME TO EXPECT OUR VOTE, OR AT THE LEAST THAT WE WON'T VOTE FOR ANY OTHER PARTY. THINGS LIKE SOCIAL SECURITY REFORM, THE FAIR TAX AMENDMENT, AND WELFARE REFORM ARE ALL ISSUES THAT SOME CONSERVATIVE PARTIES BELIEVE STRONGLY IN. THE DEMOCRATS PROMISE BLACK FOLKS A POT OF GOLD WHICH IS UN-REALISTIC. JOHN KERRY SAYING HE WANTED TO BE OUR "SECOND BLACK PRESIDENT" WAS AN INSULT, AND THE BLACK FOLKS HE SAID IT TO ATE IT UP LIKE DAY OLD CHITTERLINGS. IT WOULD BE NICE IF WE ACTUALLY HAD A FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT. BILL CLINTON LOOKED AWFULLY WHITE TO ME).

THAT'S MY "BIG" OPINION.

3. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    THE PROBLEM IS THERE R ONLY TWO PARTIES. EACH OF WHICH TAKE BRIBES FROM LARGE CORPS $ SPEC INTEREST GROUPS. I AM NO CLINTON FAN I FEEL HE WAS HARMFUL TO BLKS IN AMERICA AND IN AFRICA, HOWEVER COMPARE THE CLINTON YRS TO THE DUBYA BUSH YRS AND I THINK ULL C WHY BLKS VOTE DEM PRIMARILY. THE LESSOR OF TWO EVILS, ANY BLK REP IS A FOOL. I DNT CARE ABOUT PERSONAL CHOICES, AND CONSERVATIVSM THE REP PARTY IS A FRONT 4 THE KKK (AS R MANY DEMS) SO ANY BLK REP SHOULD B TAKEN OUT BACK AND SHOT...

PEACE WORLD

4. RLS

RLS Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    My theory is that the Republican party reaches out to some weaker-minded Black voters by playing into the homophobia that exists within our community, and they bought it hook, line, and sinker. I've talked to some Black Repubs and the gay-marriage issue is always the first one that comes up. I can't believe that they can't see past this feeble attempt to divide our community.

5. Prizefighter16

Prizefighter16 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    It would be foolish to think that all black people vote democratic, because not all black people think the same way, or vote based on the same things. A black businessman might vote republican because he's wealthy and he wants to stay wealthy. A black christian might vote republican because of the conservative views, and because of the opposition of gay marriages and abortions. Those are just surface reasons that i've seen as reasons black people vote. The republicans won mainly on the whole gay marriages and abortion issue, even though the claim still has to be brought through the supreme court, which I think was really stupid.

6. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Martha Stewart=Billionaire & Democratic! There are a multitude of wealthy Democrats. One does not need to be Democratic to retain wealth. A fact which I challenge Republicans to dispute is that the economy struggles and the jobless rate increases when the "Elephants" to office. If you are a business person, how does it benefit you when a decreasing number of people are able to afford your product?

7. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    It doesn't take much to further divide a community, which is already divided! I would agree that Republicans did a masterful job of playing on the fears of the American people: Homophobia, Terrorism, failing Family Values, and unfortunately some Black Folk also were caught in these false pretenses.

Conservative & Liberal are just labels, and most people fall under neither 100% of the time. In truth I fall under neither. However for political purposes, Conservatism is not just strong Christian values, anti-abortion, anti- gay marriage, small government, tax breaks, etc. Conservatism also includes anti-affirmative action, anti-minority scholarships, strict prision sentencing, ending federal school lunch programs (or any other benefit program which is seen as a drain on federal resources), of course they include tax breaks for the wealthy also. When you place yourself under the title of Conservative, you take on everything that comes with it. Many of which is detrimental to the overwhelming majority of black americans.

When thinking on which party to support, don't just limit yourself to how this will affect myself & my family. Think how this will affect my brothers & sisters. My parents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. How will this affect my community? Not neccessarily the community I live in, but my race as a whole (of which one's future spouses & children might come from). There are an increasing number of Black folks that feel Democrats "take us for granted", and who don't agree with any thing Democrats do. For those who feel that way, that's fine. However what exactly do they agree with that the Republican party does? As I said above, can anyone explain to me why there is always a recession when Republicans take power? That alone is a reason to keep them out of office! The policies of the Republican party are not just racist, they are classist as well. Any one who is not in the $250,000 annual income bracket is voting against their economic interest by voting republican. Any who is not lacking melanin is voting out of their social interest by voting republican.

My biggest complaint about Black conservatives/republicans (whatever have you), is that these people had doors opened for them, in order for them to reach the level of success they have achieved. However, instead of them holding that door open for someone else of their race, they literally try to close it once they pass through. It is selfish, it is selling out. One can be successful without supporting policies which are detrimental to the majority of their people. Affluent African Americans are free to be as republican as they want to, but the overwhelming majority of African Americans can't afford, nor have the luxury to make that decision.

8. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    It's a misconception to say "republicans are for the wealthy". That just isn't true. Most of the wealthy live on the coasts, those states that most always vote Democrate!!

Democrate= BIG GOVERNMENT. Democrates think people are stupid and don't know how to take care of themselves. They want to socialize medicine, bad idea, just visit Canada or European countries where they wait months to get treatment unless it's life threatening.

Republicans= Smaller Government, less intrusive. Bush is trying to pass social security reform, giving people the option to invest their own money into stocks instead of letting the Gov. to it for us. When the politicians get their fingers into things they usually mess it up more.

9. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    You know what the smallest form of Government is Indya? A Dictatorship! However that is certainly not less intrusive. Also Bush's plan for social security reform is the worst I've ever heard. Maybe you want your retirement funds in something as unpredictable as the stock market, but I have no such desire!

10. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    Ya, I'd much rather leave it in the hands of our government. They've done such a good job already by borrowing against it so that it's going to be gone before I'm able to retire. By the way it's the dems. controlled house and senate who keep dipping into social security, not the republicans.