Black People : A Question about Conception and Development....

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Ralfa'il, May 26, 2005.

1. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Does the age of the parents durning a child's conception affect and/or determine how well that child will develop mentally and physically in the future?

I'm asking because the other day and older cat told me that with a woman of the same age.....a child concieved by a man in his 60s wouldn't grow up to be as strong as a child concieved by a man in his 20s.

Seems like it makes a little sense, but I'm still not sure and can't find anything on the net about this issue.

Do any of you know if it's true or not?

2. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137

Researching bro I'll get back......

3. Ralfa'il

Ratings:
    +16
    Radical

Thanx brutha.

With so many experts on history and nutrition around, I'm suprised I haven't gotten more responses by now.

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I missed this thread, although I do remember reading some time ago that the physical well being of a man is a factor in the health/condition of his sperm. I wouldn't be surprised that a man's age can affect the development of the children he produces.

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    there is no coding for age in DNA.
    the genetic matériel is the same so there would be no difference due to the age of the parents.
    there would be psychological and environmental differences but not psychical.

6. Ralfa'il

Ratings:
    +16
    The enviromental part seems to make more sense to me than the age of the parents because like you said there is no coding for age in the DNA...it's just a blue-print.

I would think a child raised by older parents would act older and more sluggish than children of younger parents and have more conservative values because of the enviroment he was raised in.

But like Pan said, the health and condition of the father also affects the health of his sperm.
    I know it affects the AMOUNT of sperm.

I'm thinking that beyond age...if a man's body is ravaged by alcohol, drugs, and disease then his sperm and DNA would also be damaged.

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    maybe, but i don't think an unhealthy sperm could fertilize an egg.
    they have to be pretty vigorous in order to even get to the egg.

us old guys don't get that much stuff anyhow, i don't think you have to worry about a bunch of old men knocking up women.

8. Ralfa'il

Ratings:
    +16
    James

Well for some time I had this idea that people over the age of 40 shouldn't have children but I didn't have any hard scientific evidence to support my beliefs.
    Perhaps I felt this way because as their children got older they'd be too tired and in no shape themselves to properly raise them into adulthood, rather than the children themselves being genetically weaker.

But my curiousity was peaked when me and an older brutha (55) was talking about black men and the criminal justice system.

He said that with all the young black men locked up, it would force the younger women to seek older men on the outside with money and maturity and they would produce a weaker generation of children.

That's why I decided to ask around...because I hadn't heard this theory before.

9. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    You can find data on why it's better for women over 40 to not have babies. It's pretty much a well-known fact that women over 40 have an increased risk of having babies with Down's Syndrome. And my guess on this would be because her eggs are older and not as 'fresh' as the eggs of someone in their 20s or 30s. So if age could affect the type of child a woman produces, why not a man?

There are so many unknown factors when it comes to human reproduction. A person could look normal on the outside but might have problems on the inside that science has yet to find out.

10. Ralfa'il

Ratings:
    +16
    There is something just downright nasty about a wrinkled up old woman walking around pregant or trying to deliver a baby.