Black People : A Possible Solution For Black Businesses

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by river, Jul 12, 2005.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    A lot of Black venders comkplain that the Black community does not support their business.

Why not go where the money is, get the money and bring it back to the community? Asians don't complain that their people don't support their business because their business is in our neighborhoods selling the things we buy. Then they take their profits--guess where.

We can see from the Asians that having a business in a neighborhood does not necessarily help that neighborhood if the owner take the people's money and invest it elsewhere.

So why not take our business to where the money is--where the business is. Isn't it time we profited on our influence in this country instead of letting everyone else capitalize off our culture? Sell your stuff to the people who have a history of buying it then bring the profits--guess where.

Make sense?

2. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    makes a lot of sense, we need more businesses than hair salons.

peace

3. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I think this is a good solution. Great thread river.

4. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    River

Are you suggesting that black businesses start targeting white neighborhoods/customers?

....like the hiphop industry has done?

I think it's a great idea to target a wider consumer base but the biggest problem with black businesses in my opinion is punctuality and courtesy.

Most of them don't open up on time, close too early or for meaningless reasons and the employees usually have poor customer relations skills and have slack attitudes.

The Chinese resturant and beauty supply store is open EVERYDAY from 9am to midnight regardless of New Years or Christmas day.
    Most black businesses are closed on Sundays and Mondays, even the ones who claim to be Muslim close on Sundays for some reason.

The Chinese always got everything on the menu; but the black business only has half of what they advertise and still have to send by one of the kids to run to the corner store and grab a pack of chicken wings.

The Arabs, Indians, and Italians are the same as the Chinese.

They are serious about making money and make sure the customer is satisfied.

We have to get BACK to being the same way if we intend to be successful.

5. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34

That's halarious. Honestly, from what I've seen, this is true on some ends. Like never having everything on the menu. That's true in my experiences. The only other gripe I would have is that many African American businesses (that I've come across) are super-expensive compared to other stores. For whatever reason, I'm not sure, but in my experience, they tend to be. Obviously, not all stores open late, overcharge and understock, and we should not try to make it seem like all black owned businesses are that way, because I'm sure there are many great African American stores. We do need to compete in other areas and locations because unfortunately we do not support our own businessses.

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i target whites...

been doing that for a while.
    i once only targeted blacks.
    i got no love at all.

7. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Kente

No I didn't want to give the impression that ALL black businesses operate that way.

Most African and West Indian businesses I frequent operate just like East Asian and Arab businesses.

They operate how black businesses USE to.
    ......with sheer dedication and hard work.

But in most small black businesses today, the heart is just not there.

As soon as some clown wins a car-accident or aggrevated assault lawsuit he wants to open up a rib-shack.

....with a carb-board sign lodged between security bars.

Problem is, only him and his boys REALLY know what time the joint opens up because everytime you go by the place is closed.

It's the same way with barber shops.

I remember when the most people you'd see working in a barber shop is 2 or 3 men, with one young boy to sweep up the hair.

Although these cats had to serve and entire ghetto they played a little jazz, talked politics, smoked, and the wait was short.

You could bring your children in their and didn't have to worry about nothing.

But not today!

Now you got 6 barber shops on every block (plus people hustling in their basement).

Every barber shop got 15 bruthaz piled up in there and you can't tell who's working and who's a customer...and the customers don't leave.

They got the Ying Yang twins blasting, with a Mack 10 and Snoop Dog bootleg- flick playing, AND they're all cussing and talking loud and smoking weed.

You sitting there sweating because they don't have air-conditioning, the barber is using the same d*am unsterilized tools on everybody's head and you're hoping you don't catch anything, and you're praying that the argumment going on next to you don't boil over into a gun-battle before homeboy finishes your fade.

Then they have the nerve to charge you $23 for a 2hour long hair cut and include the tip in the price!

They might stay in business about a month before 5-0 swoop through and raid the place.

It's a generational problem.

Too many of our youth have no discipline or dedication.

8. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Spoken like a true economist. :D

Now, just imagine us buying everything we need IN our community? Then, not only will we get money from what we sell to others OUTSIDE of our community, but we also keep the money we have IN our community. Hence, we get wealthier per person. :D

Bruh, a salon IS a business. :D

I'm ribbin' you...but it's true. :D

9. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Mannnnn, you must be from Detroit. :lol: :D

That's called business culture. It comes from the top down.

10. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34

I hear you man. It all comes down to dedication, like you said. Also, it has to do with image. I think black people are so accustom to being viewed as laided back and unmotivated, that we are actually starting to believe that it's our nature. Now, even in our businesses, we still conduct ourselves in that laid back, unmotivated, "I'll do it when I do it" attitude.