Black People : A place apart?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Corvo, May 16, 2012.

1. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    What is it, that I want?

As far back as I can remember, I have always wanted to live in some tropical place that was peaceful and had fruit trees and plenty of fish. I was born in Puerto Rico. A tropical island in the Caribbean sea. A tropical Paradise before the Spanish had arrived. Was it perfect in every way? Probably not, but what is perfect any way? Isn’t perfect an abstract notion, of the mind. That I know of, it may never had existed, perhaps that is why we have created the concept of heaven. Perhaps long, long ago there was a paradise, a place some of us call the garden of Eden. Was that a real place? We may never know for sure.

The other day, I confessed to a woman , not my wife. That my long held fantasy was to live in a large garden like setting that had all my natural needs and I would live out my life at peace and with those I love. Today I thought to perhaps put it paper, these ideas, perhaps it’s just a dream. But instead of just leaving it in my mind, I would try to describe it. Perhaps go as far as designing such a place. When I started to write this down, it occurred to me. That maybe other people felt this way as well. The woman that I had confessed this to , agreed that she too, had such desires.

In Hawaii there is a term, for a place set apart, it’s called Anahola. I have come to think that, that would be a great name for my paradise. Now what would I like to have in this place of my dreams?

I would need water, lots of water. I love swimming under waterfalls in a large pond of some kind. So perhaps this could be near the center of our(my) community. Next to that we should have a large lawn to lay down and dry, after swimming. Followed by lots of different fruit trees to eat. After that a row of huts of varies types and sizes to accommodate our needs. We’d need a blacksmith shop for making tools, a wood shop for making boats, furniture and bows for hunting and fishing. A ceramics shop for pottery and plates and such. Kitchens, sleeping rooms and some kind of hangout for meetings, dancing in bad weather.

I wonder if any one would like to live like this. Most of the work would be in providing food and childcare. The building of huts and fishing boats would not be a daily sure. Nor would be hunting and fishing.

So what do you think? A pipe dream? Perhaps, but it sure would be nice to leave this nation full of self centered power hungry insecure people.

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    um, cable TV?

3. Corvo

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    I hear ya, brother.

4. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    This is already a reality for a lot of people. I don't see a reason to just imagine another's reality.

In life, we should create what we consider worthy. First, though, we need to organize into units of creation.

HTP

5. Corvo

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,771

I do agree fully. I have lived it myself with others.

6. Corvo

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,771

A place apart is to be independent, apart of the mainstream populations. There are few places like this in the U.S. and fewer every day in the rest of the word. Though most indigenous people used to live in independent settings. You know who has been changing this, and continues to eat up the free people of the earth.

7. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,901

I don't think is a pipe dream. Is it something you/we want and how bad to you/we want it. How feasible is it? If there is a will there is a way?

It sounds like PEACE.

8. Asomfwaa

Ratings:
    +2,564
    In some respects, we allow it. We find ourselves too weak . . ..

9. Corvo

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    In some respects, Yes.

some of us don't know any better.

But most don't have any power to do any thing about it.

I don't preach against those who don't nor those that can't. I can only try to inspire those who want to change. and perhaps build with those who will make this change possible. At my age, I have stopped preaching to those with death ears. Many of our people have forgotten what it's like to live a more natural life, and have little to no desire to live that way. I have not forgotten, and relish the idea to go some where and rekindle my love of freedom with in nature (low tech).

Is it possible to recreate a more natural place to live, freer than we do now, in the belly of the beast?
    I say yes. I also have the experience and perhaps some of the places that it can be done. It would take a willful group of people and resources. But yes it can be done.

10. Asomfwaa

Ratings:
    +2,564
    I don't know an African person without the potential for power. Organization is Power. 100,000 homeless men can do something about (their) homelessness if they worked in concert.

As to "Low tech" is that your ambition or is it the community?

'Cause I was wondering how to translate the social organization of our villages into a modern setting. Truly, our people, have a history of advancing beyond the simple village into cities--and the technology, like water filtration and public showers and such were there.

So by 'low tech' do you mean 'inexpensive' or do you actually want 'low tech?'