Black People : A Panther In Africa: Pete O'Neal

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by cherryblossom, Jul 6, 2009.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    The tumultuous period known as "the '60s" continues to cast a long shadow across the contemporary American experience. Few, if any, of the seminal conflicts that drove the era — civil rights, war and peace, racism, women's liberation — have been fully resolved today. Nor have all the key players in that national drama been tried, pardoned, punished, vindicated, or even allowed to come home.
    [​IMG]

Pete O'Neal as a Black Panther in 1970.

A Panther in Africa, a... documentary having its national broadcast premiere on public television's POV series, is the story of Pete O'Neal, one of the last exiles from the time of Black Power, when young rebels advocated black pride, unity, community service and sometimes, violence. Facing gun charges in Kansas City in 1970, O'Neal fled to Algeria, where he joined other Panther exiles. Unlike the others, however, O'Neal never found his way back to America. He moved on to Tanzania, where for over 30 years he has struggled to continue his life of social activism — and to hold on to his identity as an African-American.

Pete O'Neal, the militantly outspoken founder of the Kansas City chapter of the Black Panther Party, was eating breakfast on October 30, 1969 when four A.T.F. agents broke down his door and arrested him for transporting a gun across state lines. One year later, he was convicted of the charge, which he has always insisted was trumped up as part of the federal government's illegal COINTELPRO efforts — subsequently exposed — to imprison or kill Panther leaders. Before sentencing, O'Neal received warnings that he might not get out of prison alive, and decided to flee the country rather than submit to imprisonment.

A Panther in Africa is both heartening and heart-wrenching in its exploration of what life has held for O'Neal in the 30 years since he fled America. Still considered a criminal fugitive by the United States government, O'Neal continues to fight his conviction, refusing any deal that falls short of vindication. At the same time, while able to reflect on the excesses of 1960s radicals and his own past as a street hustler, O'Neal remains unapologetic about his Panther past. Even as he has worked to build a new and socially constructive life in Tanzania, O'Neal remains very much the man shaped by his youthful struggles — and very much an American......"

Full description: http://www.pbs.org/pov/apantherinafrica/film_description.php

2. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
  3. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    My Panther conrades were and are a reflection of a different era and different times....

Flashforward and I among others now know and understand that there are just progressive or reactionary individuals--progressive or reactionary leaders--as well as ideologies which reflect them all...

One therefore needs and should want to not be awed by the person's history etc.:

Instead what are they contributing in terms of helping us to help our people via the here and now?

So I'd also suggest you check out what Sista Assata Shakur has been trying to accomplish-- in general--for our youth in particular--even in exile--from
    U. S. embargoed Cuba...

FYI...

Later...

CTJ

4. Astrologer4U

Astrologer4U Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +486
    Cherryblossom, thank you so much for posting that documentary. It was the most inspiring documentary I have seen in a long time. Thanks again.

Astrologer4U

5. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560

Bro. Chuck, my reason for posting this information was to shed light and interest in this man's story/journey; and, hopefully, even garner some support for his endeavors.

Neither I nor this documentary is intended to glamorize his life.

I did not post the ENTIRE article, but upon further reading, you would have seen this>>>>>
    >
    I would also suggest that you check out the website for this organization for further data on what Mr. O'Neal seeks to do and IS doing, in the here and now. http://www.uaacc.habari.co.tz/

F.Y.I.

Later,

CherryBlossom

6. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560

You are so very welcomed, A4U!

I saw this documentary a few years ago on PBS and just recently remembered the story after a conversation with a friend about others from the Black Panther and Civil Rights movements and eras.

Again, your appreciation of it is what I'd hoped for! I just wanted to help tell another piece of OUR story.

7. Astrologer4U

Astrologer4U Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +486
    Yes Cherryblossom, I truly did appreciate you posting this. I was so inspired that I contacted Charlotte and Pete. Here is their website where we can learn more about how their early life was when they first arrived in Tanzania, if anyone else is interested.

http://www.uaacc.habari.co.tz/History.htm

Astrologer4U

8. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Chuck:

Good evening, destee sista poster!

And, of course, it's a given I consider your motives etc. honest as well as sincere ones...

But, also there's growing anger and resentment, i. e., among those young (and not so young) posters, over the issues and problems of racial profiling/a double standard in terms of sentencing, etc., and some of whom have a romanticized and wrongheaded viewpoint, as to who-- as well as what Huey and Company were about, though such folk may not have gone thru the same life experiences, etc., which was commonplace--when it came to the Oakland based Panthers etc.-- in NYC--in Philly--in Chicago--as well, etc.,
    during the era of the so called 'white backlash' and/or the hostility even exibited by some of the white working class--towards the young white antiwar protesters--during the late sixties and early seventies...

The short version:

One must always make a clear distinction, between what some advocated then, and others should think twice about advocating, these days...

That is?

The Panters weren't just an armed self defense group:

They also advocated the revolutionary transformation of this nation!

So to say the least?

The white powers that be etc. weren't even going for that!

Hence in this post 9/11 era:

Some folks better think twice about what also led to the fates of the role models they're advocating and/or emulating others to as well...

Times do change...

So must our approaches...

Etc., etc., etc.

FYI...

Take care...

Peace...

:SuN044:

9. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    it's criminal what the u.s. goverment did to the black panther party, this brother should be pardoned and allowed to come home,the panthers were true revolutionaries who actually knew the law[that's what pissed off the goverment] and stood up to them,so the brothers who couldn't be bought off or killed got exiled,enought is enought.

10. Putney Swope

Putney Swope Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +139
    you are right brother

Dr Tyrone Powers said that COINTELPRO should be taught in schools just as the holocaust is.

This is emotionaly moving and a beautiful Love story about 2 people and thier love affair with helping to uplift people regardless of where they lay their head on the planet, and haveing the priveledge to live in the Motherland is someting I think many of us would like to look forward to in our retirement and elder years.:toast:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pete oneal black panther