Black Short Stories : A New Shine - Chapter 1

tay_tay225

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
April 12, 1973

“How’ve you been, Earl?” I asked, running my eyes over the apples laid before me.

“I’m doing pretty good..how ‘bout you?”

“Been alright.” I grabbed one from the stand and put it in my basket. “Nice weather lately.”

A few kids ran over to the cart and stopped when they saw the tall, built man behind it. Earl gave them a look and they slowly walked away.

“Those kids are always taking things.” He sighed. “Betty was telling me about it the other day. Poor girl can’t keep up with them.”

I couldn’t help but laugh. It was Earl’s stand and Betty was his employee. She was 22 while Earl was 64, yet he could outrun her any day. He’d been having trouble with his health and had been in and out of the hospital a lot, so Betty had been working most of his shifts.And every time she did, half of the apples went un-purchased.

“..Someone’s been askin’ about you, Pearl.” He began, interrupting my thoughts.

“Me? Who?”

“A man that comes by every week. I think he kinda likes you.”

“Earl, please..he doesn’t even know me.” I rolled my eyes. “What does he look like?”

He told me as I found a few good ones and paid him. I started on my way home thinking about who it could be. ‘A very tall black man with a short afro.’ He didn’t sound like anyone I remembered. I usually only went to the stand maybe 1 or 2 times a month..I wonder when he might have seen me.

I made it to my house when a huge moving truck pulled up to the then vacant house next door with a car following close behind. I watched the car settle in the driveway while fiddling with my key.

All of the sudden a man stepped out and waved. I gasped.

He looked just like the man Earl had described. That really could have been anyone, I guess.

But..why was he moving in next to me?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back