Black Short Stories : A new generation considers being black in America

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,905
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

A new generation considers being black in America

... Novelist Jesmyn Ward edited this collection of essays and a few poems, which describes the sorrow and unease of being black in America in the time of Trayvon Martin, Mike Brown and Sandra Bland, making it a natural companion to “Men We Reaped,” Ward’s memoir of five men close to her who died violent, untimely deaths.

The new book’s title, of course, pays homage to James Baldwin’s 1963 classic “The Fire Next Time.” Ward and her fellow writers treat Baldwin as a revered old uncle: a voice of experience, a link to history and, occasionally, an elder to be argued with ...

http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/books/article100926402.html

Jessmyn Ward, author of ‘Men We Reaped,’ and other writers pay tribute to James Baldwin in their search for understanding
    miamiherald.com

[​IMG]
    “The Fire This Time: A New Generation Speaks about Race.” Edited by Jesmyn Ward. Scribner. 240 pages. $25

2. IFE

IFE going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,068
    I read the link you provided, and this statement really is so inaccurate and shows total disregard and and insult to the CRM. Or which black Power movement are they referring to?

“Unlike earlier black-power movements that tried to fight or segregate for self-preservation, Black Lives Matter aligns with the dead, continues the mourning, and refuses the forgetting in front of all of us.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/books/article100926402.html#storylink=cpy

Jessmyn Ward, author of ‘Men We Reaped,’ and other writers pay tribute to James Baldwin in their search for understanding
    miamiherald.com

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,905

The essence of the book is on this baseline:

Novelist Jesmyn Ward edited this collection of essays and a few poems, which describes the sorrow and unease of being black in America in the time of Trayvon Martin, Mike Brown and Sandra Bland, making it a natural companion to “Men We Reaped,” Ward’s memoir of five men close to her who died violent, untimely deaths.

The below precedes the statement you quoted above and makes the context clear:

Claudia Rankine’s essay “The Condition of Black Life Is One of Mourning” links the Black Lives Matter movement to Mamie Till’s decision to show the body of her murdered son Emmett and to allow photographs of his disfigured corpse.

4. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,068

This is the statement I object to:

Unlike earlier black-power movements that (tried to fight or segregate) for self-preservation, Black Lives Matter aligns with the dead, continues the mourning, and refuses the forgetting in front of all of us.”[/QUOTE]

What other Black movements are she referring to. During the CRM, people fought and died. We were not even the first generation to fight for freedom.
    I find her statement, off and uninformed. BLM is not the first group to do what they are doing.
    They need to let that sink in real good. THEY ARE NOT THE FIRST Black Power Movement.
    Of course I know the police are shooting Black men. She's not saying anything new about

links the Black Lives Matter movement to Mamie Till’s decision to show the body of her murdered son Emmett

How do we connect the two? I can connect Emmitt Till to the CRM, NOT BLM.

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,905

All I can do, as I did, is to place into context the understanding they proclaimed in their "collection of essays" contained in their book.

6. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,068
    I apologise Clyde. I'm just noticing this is the poetry and short stories forum.
    I'm off topic.

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,905

It was just an information drop I made on the "New Generation of Blacks" and how they see our Diaspora in America, which should not stop our conversation, in anyway and certainly doesn't warrant an apology, you're good.

8. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,068
    Thanks.

Al Sharpton Is Struggling to Control the 'Black Lives Matter' Movement

Al Sharpton attracted a huge crowd at his Justice for All March, but there are signs that "Hands Up, Don't Shoot!" may have moved beyond his control.

Elzie wasn't alone. About a dozen young protestors joined her as she stormed the stage and took the mic at Sharpton's march, saying that the Reverend was a distraction to their work in Ferguson. It was another sign that the massive outcry against police violence that has swept communities across the country in recent weeks has unearthed tensions among activists, with young protesters feeling disconnected from Sharpton and the old guard of civil rights leaders whom he
    represents.

These younger Blacks are out of control with their disrespect and division among Blacks.
    Their vision is limited. They fail to recognise the power of joining with other Black Activist.

Al Sharpton Is Struggling to Control the 'Black Lives Matter' Movement
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...-control-the-black-lives-matter-movement-1218 - 92k - Cached - Similar pages

Al Sharpton Is Struggling to Control the 'Black Lives Matter' Movement - VICE

Al Sharpton attracted a huge crowd at his Justice for All March, but there are signs that "Hands Up, Don't Shoot!" may have moved beyond his control.
    vice.com

Al Sharpton attracted a huge crowd

• Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  9. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,905
    Yeah, I'm watching all of this :facepalm:

The show of disunity you've describe above, is exactly the reason we focused so much in BAMN on Malcolm X, the Bandung Conference and a real need to reach group consensus within the ranks of our leadership.

The leadership of the Black Lives Matter movement, has to find a way to create a table within itself of grassroots leadership, and other eminent leaders, to sit down at, and reach consensus based solutions for our common good, otherwise we will to continue to implode.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017