Black History : A Must Read Book

Heartbeat

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jan 30, 2001
Maybe this has come up before and I hope this is the right forum to suggest every black person in America read Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkinson. It is a beautifully written book about the great migration of black people from the south to the north and west from 1915 through 1970. The story of black people in this country during this period and historical significance is told through the lives of three people. The book is just incredible. Anyone who loves history, especially Black American history, will enjoy this book immensely.

Maybe this has come up before and I hope this is the right forum to suggest every black person in America read Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkinson. It is a beautifully written book about the great migration of black people from the south to the north and west from 1915 through 1970. The story of black people in this country during this period and historical significance is told through the lives of three people. The book is just incredible. Anyone who loves history, especially Black American history, will enjoy this book immensely.

Please elaborate.

For instance, you write 'great migration' but do you mean 'great' as in 'many people' or 'great' as in 'we accomplished a lot migrating?'

I have heard accounts that we went to where the jobs were. And I kind of stopped exploring there. What is there more to the story?

I'm really pressed with what readings I need to do, namely in the organization of African people into units and teams that can liberate us.

This was the largest movement of a people in the history of this country (done in different significant stages over a 55 year period) The book through this movement gives an accurate picture of America in a social, economic and historical context. The book won a Pulitzer prize for its author. Much of American culture especially in the north came about from this movement, for example, the "suburbs", political districting and re-districting and so much more which is brought out in this book. Research what you can about this book on the web. I found the book enlightening and fascinating. Perhaps you will, or not. The detailed research done by the author is impressive and her storytelling was spellbinding to me. I'm just highly recommending the book to those who might be interested in an under-told piece of our history.

This was the largest movement of a people in the history of this country (done in different significant stages over a 55 year period) The book through this movement gives an accurate picture of America in a social, economic and historical context. The book won a Pulitzer prize for its author. Much of American culture especially in the north came about from this movement, for example, the "suburbs", political districting and re-districting and so much more which is brought out in this book. Research what you can about this book on the web. I found the book enlightening and fascinating. Perhaps you will, or not. The detailed research done by the author is impressive and her storytelling was spellbinding to me. I'm just highly recommending the book to those who might be interested in an under-told piece of our history.

OK--you misspelled her name: Wilkerson.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back