Black People : A Mosque in Manhattan

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by cherryblossom, Aug 18, 2010.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    President Obama Supports Building of Mosque Near Ground Zero
    Obama Backs Mosque Near Ground Zero in New York, Calls Religious Freedom a Fundamental Value

By RYAN CREED
    Aug. 14, 2010

President Obama seemed to dial back today on his statement of support for plans to build a mosque two blocks from Ground Zero, the site of the terror attacks of 9/11.

During a visit to the Gulf Coast today, Obama said that while he believes Muslims have the right to build the mosque and community center so close to where two hijacked jetliners slammed into the World Trade Center towers on Sept. 11, 2001, killing 3,000 people, he is not sure it's a good idea.

He said he was not commenting on the "wisdom" of the plan Friday night, when he spoke Friday night at a White House ceremony to mark the Islamic holy month of Ramadan

"As a citizen, and as president, I believe that Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as anyone else in this country," he said Friday evening.

"That includes the right to build a place of worship and a community center on private property in lower Manhattan in accordance with local laws and ordinances," he said. "This is America, and our commitment to religious freedom must be unshakable." >>>>>>

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/president-obama-supports-building-mosque-ground/story?id=11401964

2. lilpea

lilpea Moderator STAFF

United States
    retired
    Ratings:
    +343
    MMMMMM.....

I believe this is just a small part of the picture....now this is just my opinion..But I don't think he would allow just this one place of worship to stand alone...I believe there will be many places of worship of all faith...or I hope there will be...and in so doing it just might be a fitting memorial.

Lilpea..:1on1:

3. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    This isn't about a Mosques at/on "Ground Zero" but NEAR it.

If the Muslims own some property in the area, then they should be able to build a Mosque on their property.

And if any other religious group has some property in that area of lower-Manhattan, they, too, have a right to build a house of worship on their property.

America has "Selective Amnesia" when it comes to the WTC.

They wanna ostracize ALL Muslims because of 911; but it, conveniently "forgets" that the FBI knew about the bombing in '93.

I guess those people who were killed in '93 must fall under "Collateral Damage."

But, the Muslims can't build a Mosque even CLOSE to there because of '93 and 911.

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I agree brothe Lilpea I think he will allow not only this but many others to stand !
    but if it's for the common good then they should build within the area of ground zero.

5. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Brother Rich, can you "MERGE" this thread with the other one?

I didn't see that there was already one on this subject before I posted this one.

6. StefiA

StefiA Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +215
    @lilpea
    "I believe this is just a small part of the picture....now this is just my opinion..But I don't think he would allow just this one place of worship to stand alone...I believe there will be many places of worship of all faith...or I hope there will be...and in so doing it just might be a fitting memorial."

Wouldn't the ultimate fitting memorial be to have one place of worship right at the centre of ground zero that catered for every faith, where muslims could come and worship and christians and people following african religions and buddhists - I mean the people who died in 9/11 must have come from pretty much every faith and color, didn't they?

----------------------------------------------
    In any case muslims should be able to build a mosque wherever they want in a free country.

7. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Hmmm. That would have to be built like a "Worship MALL." So that each religion/spiritual path could have its own separate church/temple/mosque, etc..

Sounds good in "theory" but I don't think the "practice" would be successful.

8. StefiA

StefiA Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +215
    @Cherryblossom
    You're probably right - maybe its not that practical....
    Though a spritual mall....
    at least you'd come back from one of those with something useful
    rather than just another bit of useless tat you didn't really need in the first place.

9. lilpea

lilpea Moderator STAFF

United States
    retired
    Ratings:
    +343
    All I know is when I leave church, War, Anger, Jealousy is not on my mind..I'm uplifted and at peace.

Lilpea..:1on1:

10. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    I dunno folks just need to go there and see for themselves

1 There is a major landmark church right there so it is not a matter of haveing an edifice for all religions in NYC which is about 25 different religions

2 Why is there so much secrecy about who is building the mosque

3 Why would a Harvard scholarmake a public statement and then back track?

4 Who ever heard of a 13 story mosque?
    the facts are is that it will bea Muslim cultural and educational center

5 This foolishness and game around is a grand ploy to keep the focus off of the fact that not one of the
    military actions, advisor bases, in ;

Iraq, Afghanistan or Pakistan,have anything to do with 9/11
    since the hijackers were from Saudi Arabia

Therefore this entire sherade tacks the publics focus off of
    a real investigation of what really happened on September 11 2001 at the World Trade Center,

since such an investigation, would blow the lid off of this Al Qeada; all powerful around the world terrorist cult,
    scam!
    http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sociopolitica/americawarterrorism/americawarterrorism.htm
    http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sociopolitica/sociopol_waronterror04.htm

And last but not least takes focus on the neccesity of indictments of Bush Jr. and Dick Cheney for war crimes that some former Nuremburg judges called worse if not just as bad as the case theyhad to deal with