Science and Technology : A LUNAR ECLIPSE...Happening...

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Chevron Dove, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    There's suppose to be a Lunar Eclipse that is suppose to happen in a few minutes and I believe it is a total lunar eclipse. Funny thing though, this article that I saw on Yahoo News said that the next 'total' lunar eclipse to occur would not happen until 2014, but I thought that scientist spoke about one to occur next year, 2012 in December? Or maybe scientist today did not report such an event but, I might be thinking about the ancient Mayan predictions [prophecy] of what they said would be a Total Lunar Eclipse on December 21, 2012. At any rate, this article says that if you are west of the Mississippi, you might be able to see this eclipse, and that it will last for about an hour!

I guess that means that I won't be able to see it over here but, I will be looking just the same.

Look in the western sky Saturday morning before dawn, and if the
    weather is clear and you're in the right place, you will be rewarded with the last lunar
    eclipse of 2011. For just under an hour, the disk of the full moon will almost
    disappear, turning a dark, rusty red. The catch for Americans is that you'll miss almost
    everything unless you're west of the Mississippi. Totality -- when the moon is
    completely consumed by Earth's shadow -- begins at 6:06 a.m. Pacific time Saturday,
    and ends at 6:57 a.m. Even on the Pacific coast, dawn will start to brighten the sky
    before the eclipse is over.
    http://news.yahoo.com/lunar-eclipse-2011-watch-moon-disappear-saturday-173643146.html

2. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    [​IMG]

This pic is from a site [listed] that gave a report about this morning eclipse of December 10, 2011 of which many people obviously saw if they were in the west and in certain other parts of the world. Well, I was out this morning but did not see anything in regards to an eclipse, but what I saw was a big huge unually bright full moon in a clear dark sky:

Lunar eclipse photos: What the world saw

Did you catch the total lunar eclipse early this morning? If you live in the western part of the United States, you probably had a good chance of seeing the moon turn red in the Earth’s shadow. Here in Seattle, a heavy layer of cloud coverage made viewing difficult. Some folks still got lucky, but others got a big eyeful of nothing.

Not so elsewhere in the world. Here’s what sky watchers saw all over the globe.
    http://blog.seattlepi.com/thebigblog/2011/12/10/lunar-eclipse-photos-what-the-world-saw/

Anyway, here is a few captions of another site who posted a slide show showing different places and people who saw this eclipse in certain places:

A crowd of more than 600 people gather in the early morning at the Griffith Park Observatory to see the lunar eclipse, in Los Angeles, California December 10, 2011. REUTERS/Gene Blevins (UNITED STATES - Tags: ENVIRONMENT SOCIETY)

Chinese stargazers use a telescope to observe the moon during a lunar eclipse at the Planetarium in Beijing, China, Saturday, Dec. 10, 2011. It is the best view of a total lunar eclipse in 10 years in China, according to the China Astronomical Observatory. (AP Photo/Andy Wong)

The moon is seen in the sky during a lunar eclipse over the north tower of the Golden Gate Bridge Saturday, Dec. 10, 2011, in San Francisco. The next full eclipse of the moon will not happen until April 14, 2014. (AP Photo/Ben Margot)

I guess that means technically, April 14, 2012, due to the fact that our calendar system is off by two years based. At any rate, if anybody knows my research then they will know that i believe that eclipses causes earthquakes and can cause other disturbances and natural phenomena to occur in our planet too; something that this scientific world does not share with the public. But I happen to see on Yahoo News later today that there was a significant earthquake in Mexico. Therefore, here is some information about it:

Strong earthquake rattles Mexico, killing two

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - A powerful 6.5 magnitude earthquake shook Mexico on Saturday, killing at
    least two people, knocking out lights in parts of the capital and sending people rushing into the streets.

…Landslides had closed highways in the Pacific coast state but the duty fire officer in Acapulco said
    that while residents of the port city felt the earthquake and telephone services were down, there were
    no reports of major damage.
    http://news.yahoo.com/usgs-says-6-7-magnitude-quake-hit-southwest-020428745.html

December 11, 2011 By
    Armand Vervaeck and James Daniell

Earthquake overview :

A very strong earthquake occurred near Iguala Mexico at 07:47 PM local time. Luckily the hypocenter was at a depth of 64.7 km.
    http://earthquake-report.com/2011/12/11/very-strong-earthquake-at-intermediate-depth-near-iguala-mexico/