Black People : a little help please..

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by deepy, Dec 8, 2004.

1. deepy

deepy going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    I need a little help here...so for anyone who can answer..i thank.
    now when i post a new thread and/or reply to a thread i have no similies
    that i can add...I have no box and/or word to get them...
    the disable similie is notchecked....how can i make them apart of my posts

thanks..

remember i am like the turtle...slow so answer in laymens terms

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Hi Sister Deepy ... here i go ... real slow ... :wink:

There are a couple of ways to add smilies to your posts / threads ... but i'm gonna show you what i think will be the easiest for you.

Go to this link and you'll see all the smilies we have:

http://destee.com/forums/misc.php?do=showsmilies

You may want to save this page in your favorites.

On that page you'll see three columns ... What to Type ... Resulting Graphic ... and ... Meaning

The first column labeled, WHAT TO TYPE, is what you need to type into your response / post, to get that particular smilie to appear.

Just type that in, and when you hit the SUBMIT button, the smilie will be there.

For example, i always include a heart in my closing ... i type in : heart : (no spaces), and the heart smilie appears. Each smilie begins and ends with a colon, no spaces.

Give it a try Sister and if you have any questions, you know i'm right here.

:heart:

Destee

3. deepy

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    sista destee..
    gosh i miss my daughter...anyway here i am replying...and the smilies which use to be on my right (as i look at the page) are gone...wait...at the bottom of the page...similies are on!! let me try that :jump:, :terrific:
    now if the similies show...i've got it...but it's not as easy as it was (at least for me..you know i am slow)
    and while i have you sista destee .. why is it with some notifications I receive someones complete poem(mine included) and with some I don't..
    can I control that?
    I do miss my daughter .. she would answer alot of this stuff for me and make me act more like the hare than the turtle :grin::thanks: :luvu:

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Sister Deepy ... some of us are missing our Mothers, Fathers, Sisters, Brothers, Sons, and Daughters ... for a variety of reasons ... and so it is my hope that this community can fill the gap in their absence. We can love each other, console each other, teach each other, embrace each other, lean on each other, and give a little technical support that our loved ones would have given were they with us ... so don't you hesitate one moment in asking for what you need here. You have given these things to us, so it is an honor to give them back to you!

I Love You Sister Deepy ... wit yo' smilie use'n self! ... :love:

Okay, now ... where were we ... ohhh i know ... okay ... email notifications ...

Yes Sister, the forum gives you an option to receive these notifications if you'd like. How it works is, with every thread that you respond to (or create), notice at the bottom of that form you fill out to post your response ... before you click on the SUBMIT button ... there is a field that gives you the option to be "subscribed" to that thread. It's called THREAD SUBSCRIPTION and it has options that will let you choose what subscription mode you'd like for that thread. Those options are ...

1. Do Not Subscribe
    2. No Email Notification
    3. Instant Email Notification
    4. Daily Email Notification
    5. Weekly Email Notification

Choose one of those before clicking on the SUBMIT button, and you will be "subscribed" to that thread accordingly.

Now that is a way to do it for each thread you respond to or post.

But you can go to your control panel and have it set to "subscribe" you the same, all the time, to every thread you post ... and you won't have to bother with it every time you post ... unless you want a different subscription option for that particular thread.

Go to your "control panel" ... and click on Edit Options ... you'll see a section down the middle labeled Messaging & Notification. In that area, you'll see Default Thread Subscription Mode. It is there that you can set the default for every thread you respond to.

For example, i have chosen "Do Not Subscribe" as my default, because i've posted so much here, and all the email can be overwhelming. But if i want to change that for a particular thread, when i post to it, i change that option before i hit the SUBMIT button.

Also Sister Deepy, another thing that plays into why you get some emails and not others, is if you've been away from the forum awhile and have received some email notifications of updated threads, the system will recognize that and not send you more until you come back again.

I hope i've answered your question Sister, and if not, you know i'm right here.

Much Much Love and Peace.

Destee

5. deepy

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    sista destee
    always giving words of encouragement..trying to liten our loads...
    aren't you nice...it has got to come back to you a thousand folds.

and now...I think i know how subscribe and not subscribe to a thread...what i meant was(and sorry if i didn't explain it more clearly). with some threads the original poem is also sent.., for example i submitted a new thread yesterday and i received notification of responses...and my entire poem was sent to me as well. this happened with several other poets poems also..
    but with others, ie..watzs'(forgive me for using your name watz) I only receive responses and not the poem...which i prefer...how do i make this happen with my work as well..:huh: :thinking: :luvu:

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Sister Deepy ... i think this part totally depends on how the person who is responding to the original poem, creates their response.

For example ... if i respond to your poetry, i may quote your original peace ... include it in my response ... and then i may respond to Sister Watz' poetry, without quoting her work ... without including it in my response. Doing it these 2 different ways will produce the 2 different experiences you've described above.

Basically, it all depends on if the person who is responding, quotes the original peace or not.

Does that make sense Sister?

Let me know.

Destee