Black Short Stories : A Line In The Sand

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by MSSammie, Dec 16, 2003.

1. MSSammie

MSSammie Member MEMBER

Government
    Ratings:
    +1
    A LINE IN THE SAND

I remember the conversation between my mother and me like it was yesterday. She was worried about me. She had noticed the black eye I had tried to hide with make-up.

"I've been there." She rubbed the side of her neck. "I just don't want you to go through what I went through with your father. Once a man hits you, he will hit you again."

"Brian isn't Daddy." I argued.

"He seems the same to me."

"Brian's a good man. He's just been under a lot of pressure since he lost his job."

Mom looked at me disapprovingly. "So he takes it out on you."

I took a good, hard look at my mother. I understood everything she was saying. However, I also know she never liked Brian from the first time she met him.

"Is he still married?" she asked.

I did not answer.

My mother shook her head and turned back to the Price Is Right on TV.

After the show, we sat and talked about nothing in particular for another hour. As I drove home that afternoon. I thought about what mother had said. Yet, at thirty years old, I was free to love whomever I chose.

Brian was working for a construction company when he introduced himself to me. He was up front about his marital status. He told me he never loved his wife, that he only married her because he'd gotten her pregnant, and he didn't want his son to grow up without his father the way he had.

A couple of weeks later, Brian left his wife and moved in with me. I knew the cards were stacked against us, but I was in love and couldn't see straight for dreaming. If he had told me Elvis Presley was alive, I would have believed that too.

A couple of months later, our love went through its first test when, out of the blue, Brian quit his job. He said the boss was always on his back about one thing or another. He said he'd find another one. That didn't happen. I supported both of us on my salary. We had agreed when we moved in together that what was mine, was his, and what was his was mine, but he was evaporating all of mine.

Several more months passed. Brian still didn't have a job, and he was still married to his wife. When I offered to pay for the divorce, he barked at me that he was the one who'd gotten himself in the situation, he would get himself out. After that conversation, things didn't get any better between us. I noticed he began to drink heavily, stay out late, or not come home at all. Still, I couldn't bear the thought of living without him.

One day as, I was getting into my car, I heard someone call my name. Thinking it was a coworker, I turned around and came face to face with Brian's wife. I looked closer and noticed her expanded waistline. Her gaze followed mine. She took pleasure in telling me that she and Brian never stopped being lovers, and she was carrying their second child.

I don't know how I managed to drive home. When I got there, Brian was waiting for me. I told him about the conversation I had had with his wife. He didn't bother denying it. I stood there motionless. I just couldn't move. I thought about all the signs staring me in the face, and I became angry with myself. How could I have been so stupid? From the minute he had moved in with me I had taken care of him, given him money, washed his clothes, fixed his meals and loved him unconditionally. Well, no more, this was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

I marched over to the door and opened it. "I want you out of my house. Now!"

Brian ignored the fact that I was holding the door open. "I'm not going anywhere," he barked. Instead, he began to plead how he never meant for anything to happen between him and his wife, and how he never meant to hurt me.

The next thing I knew he was leading me into the bedroom. He pushed me onto the bed and tried to kiss me. I protested, but he was too strong for me. His hands pressed me to the mattress. He became upset that I wasn't going to yield to him and let out an expletive, then began striking me repeatedly across the face. I held up my arm to protect myself from the blows.

"Stop it!" I cried, then struggled and broke free.

Brian ran after me and shoved me to the floor. He held up his fist to strike me again. As I began to cry uncontrollably, he seemed to have a change of heart, lowering his fist, calling me obscene names. Voicing his opinion about never letting me go. He'd done it. He'd hit me a second time.

"I'm going to let you cool off. I'll be back later," he mumbled as he stomped out the door and slammed it shut.

After he left, I ran behind him and locked the door. I hesitated for a moment to collect my thoughts. I nervously picked up the phone, dialed 911, and relayed the incident to the dispatcher. Minutes later, the officers arrived and took the necessary information for their report.

When they arrested Brian, he called me from jail. As I listened to him, he sounded like a broken record stuck on repeat, saying how much he loved me. He was sorry for hitting me and would never do it again. I had had enough, and I found the strength to tell him it was over.
    Pressing charges against Brian was a big step for me, and marked the end of an abusive relationship. With the love and support of family and friends, I have moved on with my life.
    While I haven't spoken to or seen Brian again, I have thought of him often. Most likely because he represents a line I drew in the sand – preventing any man from ever thinking so little of me again. :glasses:

(c) 2003

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    welcome welcome welcome

welcome to destee.com short stories
    welcome to the home u found to flow
    sho and speak work stories sweet & meek
    welcome this was very very nice pt.2 please :fairy: :toast:
    :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

3. true love

true love Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Never thought a Line In The Sand could be sooo beautiful! I love a story with a happy ending, for real. Much love to you

4. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    MSSammie.. Welcome to Destee.

I like this very much.

I like how the lines have to be drawn sometimes. This brought it to life. Boundarys exist, thru all levels of a relationship. He crossed the line.

5. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219
    welcome to destee...
    this was a lovely story told...
    thanks for sharin...that line in da sand.....nice very nice
    welcome again...enjoy your stay...:angel1:

6. MSSammie

MSSammie Member MEMBER

Government
    Ratings:
    +1

Thanks for the kind words on "A Line In The Sand"

Sending sistah love back your way...

7. MSSammie

MSSammie Member MEMBER

Government
    Ratings:
    +1

Thanks for the warm welcome. I appreciate it. Men have a tendency to invade your space, then cross the line. I agree once he crosses the line. We have to draw the line in the sand, letting them know, they have gone too far...

8. Compassion

Compassion Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    For those of us that wrote/write from this pen .... be encouraged! Onward and Upward- Beauty, simply strong.