Black Women : A Lady's Call To Reason - Menstrual Stress

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by river, Jun 25, 2004.

?

How does Lady's Week affect you?

1. I cry like a baby all day long at anything

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. My children know to be on their best behavior and my husband gives me a wide berth

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. If the supermarket is out of Essence magazine I take it personally

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  4. I always think I am in love

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. All of the above

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  6. None of the above

18 vote(s)
    69.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Men do not understand this reality in our lives. Their response may be to poo poo it as an excuse for criminal behavior--the female version of "the devil made me do it." What can we do to help them understand the very real emotional impact Ladies' Week has on us and still maintain their respect? What can they do to help us ride the white horse with dignity?

Think about it, there is pre-menstrual stree, menstrual strese and post menstrual stress. That leaves only one week out of the whole month when we can reasonably be expected to behave reasonably. Something must be done. Ladies, put your heads together.

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Hello Sister River ... Great Topic! :toast:

After first reading your words, i was a bit confused ... huh? ... what did Sister River just say?!!! ... but then i read it again ... and got all excited as my understanding became clearer!

I'm glad to be responding first, because my period is my friend! i love her! :love: i look forward to her arrival, we commune together, it is a peaceful and nice change of pace, our monthly visit together. I have never experienced cramps or the pre-menstrual stuff. As a matter of fact, she arrives so quietly, i'm often surprised when i notice she's here. Such a sweet guest.

When pregnant with my first child, i was told that labor pains are like really really really really really really :) bad cramps. That left me like before, still not knowing what the labor pains would be like! ... but i do know now! :eeek:

While this has been my experience with my dear darling friend, i realize it is not the same for others, so i look forward to the discussion.

How closely linked are menstration and menopause? Menopause has me a bit queezy, anticipating her arrival! :eeek: Matter of fact, i've been wanting to start a thread about her, so i'll just do that ... so we can keep this one focused.

Thanks Sister River ... for allowing me to introduce my friend to yall !!! :wave:

:heart:

Destee

3. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56
    Destee Said: I'm glad to be responding first, because my period is my friend! i love her! :love: i look forward to her arrival, we commune together, it is a peaceful and nice change of pace, our monthly visit together. I have never experienced cramps or the pre-menstrual stuff. As a matter of fact, she arrives so quietly, i'm often surprised when i notice she's here. Such a sweet guest.

Oh my, do I envy you. Gurl I ain never heard nobody talk about their period like this. At first I thought you were joking, but you are serious aren't you?

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Yes Yes Yes !!!!!! Of course i am serious !!!!!! :love:

God is my witness ... and i thank Him for her!

It is my hope that she is an indicator of how my experience with menopause will be.

If she is ... c'mon menopause ... let's do this thang! :birthday:

Destee

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    :lol: @ If the supermarket is out of Essence magazine I take it personally

that is too funneee ... hahahaha ... :lol:

Destee

6. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Hey ladies....the "period" is my friend also.:bowdown: I stress when she doesn't show up, so I'm sympathetic to your situation. I know women's cycle that I deal with. When they tell me they started their period, they are amazed when I say something like "you're a couple of days late aren't you"? :peace:

7. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Wonderful! wonderful! I hope this topic really flies.

Destee, you are the most blessed woman I have ever seen.

My friend never sneaks up on me. She sends her telegram a week in advance "Ready or not here I come!" I am blessed that my father and my Father taught me to stand back from my emotions and look at myself from a bird's eye view before opening my mouth or falling in love, otherwise I'd get a visit from the men in the long white coats.

8. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I was wondering why the squirrels were asking about you. Now I know. Sugar, you are a nut :nuts:

9. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    My friend and I parted ways more than 10 years ago. It wasn't easy to see her leave but I was told that it was for the best. :bawling:

When we first met we struggled from the beginning. She arrived quietly at first but soon let her presence be known each month and I grew to not like her very much. When she came to visit she usually stayed much longer than her welcome and I celebrated whenever she left. That meant that I could do things I enjoyed doing that she stopped me from doing because she got in the way.

But as time passed, I began to understand her better and looked forward to her arrival each month with a breath of anxious anticipation. If she was late, I would send a telegram demanding to know what was taking her so long and when she finally arrived, I was relieved to see her and my life would be calm once again.

The time that she didn't show up at all, my daughter arrived 9 months later. When she returned, we were much calmer with each other and lived happily together until it was time for us to part and move on, going our separate ways.

It's sorta funny because in a way I miss her and in a way I don't. She's a fond memory now, she served her purpose well and now I must live out the rest of my life without her.

Peace,
    Queenie :heart:

10. daroc

daroc Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +36
    i be tired my first day- den afta dat im good- its like a visit from a friend- jus last a couple days- and then she gone.