Black Spirituality Religion : A Guide To Traditional African Spiritual Baths

Sekhemu

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jul 9, 2003
new jersey
Occupation
priest
Spiritual baths requie the following

1. That the correct herbs are used. The formula is based upon divination by the priestly. The presiding orisha or egun is determined and the corresponding herbs (ewe) are procured and prepared.

2. That the spiritual baths be continued for the number of days specified. The number can range from 1 day to 21 days. This is determined.by divination.

3. During the period specified for the taking of spiritual baths there should be light eating,sexual abstinence, emotional balance, and no use of intoxicants. Daily prayer and affirmations need to be said as well.

Before taking spiritual baths make sure that you set up your space. There are a number of things that you need to do to prepare yourself

1. You need a white sheet or large towel to wrap yourself in, and a white cloth to cover your head immediately after the bath (all sheets etc should be made of cotton)

2. Your space should be cleansed with incense made of myrrh and frankincense.

3. The tub, sink, and vessel that will hold the spiritual bath should be clean. Other areas involved should also be clean

4. White candles should be lit in the.bathroom and any other areas involved

5. Silence or meditative sounds should prevail

6. Keep spiritual bath concentrates in the refrigerator when not in use, and always label the bottle.

The spiritual bath does not require that one sit in a tub. This is an immersion and should be specifically prescribed ny the diviner or herbalist. The herbal solution should be diluted with water at a 12;1 or 8:1 ratio (12 parts water 1 part herbal solution) The water should be cool or tepid, but never hot. Shake the herbal solution well before pouring it into the basin or gourd. It really doesn't matter which goes in first, but it is easiest to measure the solution first, and then add water.

1. First bathe or shower with natural soaps and shampoos

2. Dry off

3. Kneel reverently or stand with conviction in the tub or shower

4. Gently pour the diluted solution over your body pray aloud or silent for peace and protection.

5. Lightly pat-dry yourself off, wrap up in the white sheet, cover your hair with the cloth

6. Clean the tub, vessel, or sink by wiping it out with a mild cleanser

7. Retire for study, meditation. Or just quiet time

Early morning or night are the preferred time to take a spiritual bath. Sisters if you are menstruating or pregant, ask the diviner to check specifically if it is appropiate for you to take a spiritual bath suring these times

End of part 1

Spiritual baths requie the following

1. That the correct herbs are used. The formula is based upon divination by the priestly. The presiding orisha or egun is determined and the corresponding herbs (ewe) are procured and prepared.

2. That the spiritual baths be continued for the number of days specified. The number can range from 1 day to 21 days. This is determined.by divination.

3. During the period specified for the taking of spiritual baths there should be light eating,sexual abstinence, emotional balance, and no use of intoxicants. Daily prayer and affirmations need to be said as well.

Before taking spiritual baths make sure that you set up your space. There are a number of things that you need to do to prepare yourself

1. You need a white sheet or large towel to wrap yourself in, and a white cloth to cover your head immediately after the bath (all sheets etc should be made of cotton)

2. Your space should be cleansed with incense made of myrrh and frankincense.

3. The tub, sink, and vessel that will hold the spiritual bath should be clean. Other areas involved should also be clean

4. White candles should be lit in the.bathroom and any other areas involved

5. Silence or meditative sounds should prevail

6. Keep spiritual bath concentrates in the refrigerator when not in use, and always label the bottle.

The spiritual bath does not require that one sit in a tub. This is an immersion and should be specifically prescribed ny the diviner or herbalist. The herbal solution should be diluted with water at a 12;1 or 8:1 ratio (12 parts water 1 part herbal solution) The water should be cool or tepid, but never hot. Shake the herbal solution well before pouring it into the basin or gourd. It really doesn't matter which goes in first, but it is easiest to measure the solution first, and then add water.

1. First bathe or shower with natural soaps and shampoos

2. Dry off

3. Kneel reverently or stand with conviction in the tub or shower

4. Gently pour the diluted solution over your body pray aloud or silent for peace and protection.

5. Lightly pat-dry yourself off, wrap up in the white sheet, cover your hair with the cloth

6. Clean the tub, vessel, or sink by wiping it out with a mild cleanser

7. Retire for study, meditation. Or just quiet time

Early morning or night are the preferred time to take a spiritual bath. Sisters if you are menstruating or pregant, ask the diviner to check specifically if it is appropiate for you to take a spiritual bath suring these times

End of part 1

Elder brother,

You must have read my mind. I have been thinking of posting something on spiritual baths these past few days.

I wanted to share a simple bath learned from my Vodou and rootwork education.

It is simply a cool water bath. Take a regular bath or shower as normal. Making sure you wash off all the grime, grit and dirt of the past day. Next, turn the water to as cool as you can stand it and step underneath the showerhead. Run the water down the body. Step out and air dry. Put on whites, light a white candle and relax for the night.

I was taught to add basil, florida water, and efun to "juice up" this bath. This is just simple cleansing and is not the intense baths prescribed by a diviner.

Blackbird

and the mamissi said I could not give myself the ritual bath. Not a great deal of information for $100 canadian. And I won't even mention the cost of her services. I'm left believing it's better to deal with the mamissi's back in South America, or the motherland.

Would this person be in Georgia?

You can always give yourself cleansing baths - no -these are not removing baths and the like, but they can lighten your spirit from being weighed down as much.

Blackbird

to your question Brother Blackbird. I did spend some dollars on acquiring herbs and have taken herbal cleansing baths, etc... using some research and intuition. I haven't come up with the right prescription yet though. And it took me a minute to realize that I wasn't supposed to soak in a hot tub of water (oh how silly) - but it did relax me and made me feel like I had done something good for myself.

I mean no disrespect to the mamissi, she has a good reputation from what I have heard, it's just so "American" to me how certain things are done. Maybe I give too much of myself away, but when anyone came to see me I always made sure that they received enough to get started on their own, I don't believe in cultivating co-dependence so that my patient has to return to me without developing their own direction and abilities. Does that make sense?

Some other practitioners would refuse to alleviate as much pain from their patients in one session because they want them to rebook on a weekly basis. I didn't follow that logic, and I often suggested other means for them to begin healing their bodies. In Asia, we can go get a therapeutic massage (not the rub and tug) for $10. In Canada and the States, we charge between $50-$100 / hour. No wonder so many ignore their bodies!

True we have to make a living, but we also have to keep in mind that our work is often a vocation, a calling, and not a job.

Sister,

It's a delicate dance. Finances always play apart of the equation. When I used to do work, I would charge no less than $100.00 for my travay. Suffice to say - I don't do work anymore for anyone except myself and my family. This work is taxing - others are asking for you to do things for them - you are providing a service. And this service can take away time spent with family, friends or just overall leisure. I got really sick the last time I did work for someone and I decided then that it's not work my time.

My godparents would always advise me to not do anything for anyone who doesn't appreciate it because in the end I'm the one that suffers - giving away my ache.

I noticed that sometimes people's expectations, worries and hidden desires do not only weigh down the work, but also the worker.

Blackbird

to your question Brother Blackbird. I did spend some dollars on acquiring herbs and have taken herbal cleansing baths, etc... using some research and intuition. I haven't come up with the right prescription yet though. And it took me a minute to realize that I wasn't supposed to soak in a hot tub of water (oh how silly) - but it did relax me and made me feel like I had done something good for myself.

I mean no disrespect to the mamissi, she has a good reputation from what I have heard, it's just so "American" to me how certain things are done. Maybe I give too much of myself away, but when anyone came to see me I always made sure that they received enough to get started on their own, I don't believe in cultivating co-dependence so that my patient has to return to me without developing their own direction and abilities. Does that make sense?

Some other practitioners would refuse to alleviate as much pain from their patients in one session because they want them to rebook on a weekly basis. I didn't follow that logic, and I often suggested other means for them to begin healing their bodies. In Asia, we can go get a therapeutic massage (not the rub and tug) for $10. In Canada and the States, we charge between $50-$100 / hour. No wonder so many ignore their bodies!

True we have to make a living, but we also have to keep in mind that our work is often a vocation, a calling, and not a job.

About 7 years ago I got a cleansing from a certain mamaiisi in her back yard in MARTINEZ and it was pretty good. It cost me about $300.00

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back