African American History Culture : A forgotten piece of African-American history on the Great Plains

Discussion in 'African American History Culture' started by Liberty, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    upload_2017-3-13_17-5-34.png

The Great Plains are dotted with abandoned towns. Each one has its own story. In turn of the century America, thousands of homesteaders migrated west and the Great Plains gave even the most marginalized groups of people a chance at making a living.

Blink while driving on Highway 34 east of Greeley, Colorado, and you might miss the former Great Plains town of Dearfield.

Read more

http://netnebraska.org/article/news/1067143/forgotten-piece-african-american-history-great-plains
    A forgotten piece of African-American history on the Great Plains | netnebraska.org
    netnebraska.org

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,048
    I loved reading that article, Sis. Liberty. It was very interesting and I learned something I never knew before. Black people's history in America is troubling but also rich. Thank you for sharing.

• Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  3. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    I'm glad you enjoyed it, Queenie. It is so important for us to pass down these stories of courage, resistance and victories, to the young ones, so they will dare to dream of a better future, imo.

This story reminds me of "Their Eyes Were Watching God", the book writen by Zora Neale Hurston, that became a movie starring Halle Berry. It was about Eatonvile, another of the first "all Black towns". The movie focusses a lot on the love life of Halle and "Tea Cake", but in Zora's book you can feel the excitement of the birth of an "all Black Town".

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  4. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    Aug. 15, 1887: Eatonville becomes one of first all-black towns in U.S.

upload_2017-3-18_13-41-22.png

Eatonville, six miles from Orlando, was one of the first all-black towns incorporated in the U.S. after the 1863 Emancipation Proclamation that ended slavery.

It was founded by 27 men on land adjacent to Maitland sold by a white former Union Army captain, Josiah Eaton, with the intention that it become a city of black self-government.

Read more
    http://www.floridahistorynetwork.co...comes-one-of-first-all-black-towns-in-us.html

Aug. 15, 1887 - Eatonville becomes one of first all-black towns in U.S.

On this day in Florida history: In 1990, plans by Orange County to widen the town's two-lane main street, Kennedy Boulevard, into a five-lane highway spurred the creation of the Zora Neale Hurston Festival of the Arts and Humanities to showcase...
    floridahistorynetwork.com

5. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,284