Black History : A forgotten piece of African-American history on the Great Plains

Liberty

BANNED
Aug 28, 2015
I loved reading that article, Sis. Liberty. It was very interesting and I learned something I never knew before. Black people's history in America is troubling but also rich. Thank you for sharing.

I loved reading that article, Sis. Liberty. It was very interesting and I learned something I never knew before. Black people's history in America is troubling but also rich. Thank you for sharing.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Queenie. It is so important for us to pass down these stories of courage, resistance and victories, to the young ones, so they will dare to dream of a better future, imo.

This story reminds me of "Their Eyes Were Watching God", the book writen by Zora Neale Hurston, that became a movie starring Halle Berry. It was about Eatonvile, another of the first "all Black towns". The movie focusses a lot on the love life of Halle and "Tea Cake", but in Zora's book you can feel the excitement of the birth of an "all Black Town".

Last edited:
Aug. 15, 1887: Eatonville becomes one of first all-black towns in U.S.

upload_2017-3-18_13-41-22.png

Eatonville, six miles from Orlando, was one of the first all-black towns incorporated in the U.S. after the 1863 Emancipation Proclamation that ended slavery.

It was founded by 27 men on land adjacent to Maitland sold by a white former Union Army captain, Josiah Eaton, with the intention that it become a city of black self-government.

Read more
http://www.floridahistorynetwork.co...comes-one-of-first-all-black-towns-in-us.html

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back