Black People : A Few Graphs to create discussions.

I know you asked Umbrachist, but I decided to answer because I have seen the phenomena too.

I've experienced it in Baltimore & South Central Los Angeles (Crenshaw area) as a child. Also saw it in Atlanta in areas surrounding the AUC (Atlanta Univesity Center). My wife has seen it in Portsmouth and Norfolk, VA and Elizabeth City, NC three of the places she has taught. If you have never experienced it, then I count you as being fortunate. I've seen it in too many places, but I accept that part of the blame is on the School systems that allowed those children to get so far without ensuring they were proficient readers. That lack of proficiency in reading has caused many of them to inturn to gain a revulsion towards reading. People being how they are, want more people to be in the same circumstances they are in and so they then try to encourage others to also have a revulsion towards reading. That is why you can have a person get upset with you reading a lot because they are deeply envious of your ability and would rather not see you do something they struggle with, in their presence.
i was a reader from a young age. i spent my time at the library. never had that problem.

i was a reader from a young age. i spent my time at the library. never had that problem.
My wife was shocked by the experience, because she had never seen it before she was a teacher. She didn't even experience it when she was at Spelman, but I did since I actually went into the local schools to tutor students in Math as part of my community service requirements for NROTC. Like I said before, if you have never experienced it then I count you fortunate.

I understand what you are getting at Umbrarcist, since I am an Economist. I've pointed out plenty of times to those close to me about the rackets concerning the stock markets, depreciation of items, planned obsolescence, and the how the only way our Capitalism works ......

Unfortunately, you are also correct about the attitude that too many of our people have about reading.

Well thank you! Sometimes I think I must be living inside some kind of warp bubble where I see things that I regard as obvious but hardly anyone else seems notices.

I read The Screwing of the Average Man in 1976. I have never heard any economist mention that book since then, but it made so much sense to me that I decided that what I was taught about economics in college had to be wrong. So after work I would go home and read 15 or 20 pages of Samuelson's Economics each day. I must have been pretty weird back then. LOL

But that was where I eventually stumbled across NET NATIONAL PRODUCT. The way the class was taught when I was in college I think we must have skipped that chapter. The instructor jumped around and I doubt that we covered 1/3rd of the book.

But I was dealing with consumer electronics at the time and the junk that most people would buy really p***ed me off. It would not last and would be thrown away and they would buy more junk. I did not find automobiles technologically interesting enough to even pay attention to but the amount of money involved would have been much larger in cars.

It just so happened that John Kenneth Galbraith produced a TV series called Age of Uncertainty in 1977. I watched the series and still have the book. But our economic culture is a bunch of BS. I presume that we will most likely have a population crash in this century and may be down to 3 billion people by 2100. Economists don't seem to care much about wrecking the environment as long as GDP goes up.

GDP == Grossly Distorted Propaganda

Senegal I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out. I don't know how long that trend will continue. Personally a great many taxpayers are avoiding any type of tangible property ownership. Unlike the credit damaging car leasing debacle in the early eighties which the average car owner believed the lease tax write off hype, nowadays Americans are much more savvy and start up LLC's and lease everything they legally can. The mortgage disaster prodded that thinking too. America, like many first world progressive nations encourage immigrants to avail themselves of our institutes of higher learning to return to their countries with skill sets to help their economy or remain in America to realize the American dream, their choice. Our future has the same option to attend institutes of higher learning and return with those skills to further our cause as a race or remain where they are and that's their choice. I'm not going to address the 4-square Black/American, African/American, Caribbean/American and Haitian/American "Who's better then who" issue and not because the "Other Man" considers all of us as N*gg*rs but because we ourselves must realize that we are all the same, irregardless of our birthplace or ethnic origin we are still Black. That's our decision and only our decision by our beliefs and love for each and every one of us. Excellent thread, too bad it got derailed.

View attachment 12167

View attachment 12168

View attachment 12169
Youre right. We are all Black so there is no need to separate ourselves. I dont see it as a case of who is better. I see it as some groups being able to hold onto their African identity for the longest time while being oppressed. Those that hold on more tightly and venture out into the world with that foundation appear to do better. That holds true for all Blacks here as well as for those that immigrate.

How do I discuss this without a 10,000 word essay? LOL

This brings up classism and education among Black Americans.

I am one of those Negroes whose Black English is really bad. I used to correct my mother's English when I was in grade school. She would say, "Yes, professor." I thought it was fun. How many Black women would get on their child's case if they were corrected. There are Black neighborhoods where the "brothers" will get on your case for reading a book.

But the majority of books are mediocre to crap. I find it really curious that for all of the talk about education that we do not have a National Recommended Reading List. I suspect that would interfere with the Education BUSINESS. Education is supposed to be expensive and we should pay a lot to have information dribbled out.

I took an economics course at a Black community college and the instructor was African. I asked him about the Depreciation of durable goods being ignored and he practically ran away from me. I wrote this 19 years ago:

http://www.spectacle.org/1199/wargame.html

I have never heard any economist of any color mention the book, The Screwing of the Average Man.

So paying White people to tell us what education is and dribble out information to have our brains certified to their specifications is not a real solution.

There is free stuff to read:

Black Man's Burden (1961) by Mack Reynolds
http://sfgospel.typepad.com/sf_gospel/2008/08/mack-reynolds-on-africa-islam-utopia-and-progress.html
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/32390/32390-h/32390-h.htm

Border, Breed Nor Birth (1963) by Mack Reynolds
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/30639/30639-h/30639-h.htm

IMPERIUM IN IMPERIO: A STUDY OF THE NEGRO RACE PROBLEM A NOVEL
by Sutton E. Griggs (1899)
http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/15454/pg15454-images.html
https://lavelleporter.com/2013/02/17/academic-novel-imperium-in-imperio
There is a recommended list of reading for Black people.

https://www.listchallenges.com/100-must-read-african-american-books

There is also a book written by a Black guy named Tom Burrell that owned a marketing firm that may address your other ask.

I cant post the link but the book title is Brainwashed.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on MANASIAC's profile.
I saw you ... :yaay: ... Welcome Home! ... :flowers:
Savarnas Beauty Spa
Back