Black Sports : A Draw

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by kemetkind, Jun 18, 2006.

1. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Well - it was a great fight and in all honesty I think it should've been a draw.

I was surprised how quickly JT reverted to old ways but also surprised how much stronger he was than winky.

I wasn't too impressed with Manny's game plan - JT never touched up winky's body to bring his hands down and forcing JT to have to counter was asking a lot.

I'm ready for the rematch though!

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    It was a very competitive fight, which I think will be a good learning experience for JT. I don't think the problem was Manny Stewart's game plan, I believe Winky was more aggressive than expected. JT prepared for the Winky Wright who fought Shane Mosley and Felix Trinidad, but what he got was the Winky that fought Fernando Vargas (and in my mind beat him). 3 months is not a lot of time to work with a new trainer, and I expect Manny to eventually work out the defects in JT's game. Winky definately deserves a rematch, because he fought an excellent fight.

3. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Yeah - JT said right off he wants the rematch but Winky sounded like he don't want no part of JT!

I wouldn't blame him. His best chance to beat JT was probably last night. You could see JT's rookie mistakes on the ropes were the only time winky could make any headway.

4. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Man that there was a good fight...I was luck last night and wound up catching it on HBO ........that there was a good one....and yeah it was a draw...Wink should have got out there and fought that 12th round.....regardless of how you think the fight is going you being paid to fight from 1 till the end.......both them boys put in work.....and yeah I was surprised JT kept backing into the corner and ropes and fighting inside where Wink is the better fighter.......in the middle of the ring though Wink needs a note to self....."don't fight that boy in the middle of the ring".....man they gotta do that one again........yeah Wink said he don't want no rematch....I bet that today he's ready for it..after figuring how much money will come out of that fight if done again......man o man I'd be signing the contract today ............

Red

5. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Winky not fighting the 12th was a rookie move, even his corner was telling him the fight was close and he needed that last round. He has no one to blame for the draw but himself.