Black Spirituality Religion : A Different View of Faith

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by river, May 7, 2006.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    To many of us faith means believing something despite all evidence to the contrary. It means just accepting the words of others without question or research. Although that may be the popular definition, in reality that's not what it is at all. If we understand what faith really is then we can utilize it in every aspect of out lives.

By my definition faith is like this. A tightrope walker spans a rope across Niagara Falls and walks across it pushing a wheel barrel. When he gets to the other side he asks the audience if they think he can do it again. They all clap and shout yeeah yebo. Then he asks okay can I have a voluteer to ride in the wheel barrel?

That's where faith comes in. It is the impetus to take what is true for someone else and turn it into a reality in our own lives.It is the energy by which we turn our hopes and visions into actions and accomplishments.

Without faith we cannot benefit from the examples and role models that pass through our lives, We will always say that's easy for you to say but you don't know my problem.

Without faith our hopes and dreams never rise above the level of wishful thinking and pipe dreams.

Faith is not something we have in place of knowledge. I can know that a 747 jet liner can carry me safely from Los Angeles to New York, I have the unquestionable evidence that it does this all the time. And yet, I might still not have the faith to actually get in one.

Faith recognizes that there are no certitudes in life. Sometimes we just have to make a move because if we wait around for the perfect situation it may never come and we will never acheive anything.

You may choose to call this impetus, this energy by another name instead of faith. That's okay as long as we recognize that it's the underlying concept that is universal.

2. Khonsu

Khonsu Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Question

You have not as of yet answer question about your faith / belief about A.T.R. why is that . How can you call yourself a teacher of A.T.R. and never answer question about your group . Are we to accept anything you say without questioning what you say is about our history / culture / belief ????? Don't we as Nubian have a right to question you about your faith / belief ??? Yes or No .. Is A.T.R. Base on WITCHCRAFT

3. Moorfius

Moorfius Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +27
    African Traditional so-called Religion*

Hotep

ATF or to make it perfictly clear to those who don't know what that means..."African Traditional Religions". First of all the African who is not westernized and hoodwinked into the mind set of any so-called religion is "Spiritual" not religion. The word religion has become used to mean something holy and rightous but on the contrary religion is something that only came from the indoeurpeans to control the natural spirituality of the origenal people (Blacks) and after commiting the worst crime on earth...corrupted and mixed false docterins with just enough truth to fool the ignorant masses into thinking that religion is from G-d or the Creator and none of them are not! Only those who are well learned out side of western ideas of religion and history can possibly know true Spirituality and then only those who have been "Initiated" into the ancient mystery system or African Traditional Spirituality can fully know and overstand. History teaches us from Charliman, the councel of Nicea held in europe, Alexander the Invader and thief to the present leaders of white superimacy...their "Religions" are all made for "Croud-Control" over the masses of ignorant people to give the altra-rich and powerful control and power over the people they have conqured. All any one has to do is think! Why is it that all religions are only controled by whites only power structures only found in europe? Why is it a absolute must for a person to be Pope he must first be white? Why are all of the important figures of the so-called holy books all white including Jesus, Kristna, Bodah and Muhammad...according to them??? Whay do all of the eurpean religions teach the inferioity of the woman, the African and even go so far to teach that the African is the devil...as the Mormon's book of latter day saints and the so-called holy book of the Amish and Hindu?? Then with out knowing the ignorant African in Amerikkka tries to defend the slave masters and their children because they don't have a Clue about what is really going on and is still going on all around them...but they are mentaly Sleep, blind, deef and dumb to the Truth.
    From the begining of time of creation the Creator (G-d's) gave the origenal Black African Spirituality, not Religion! Africans don't have religion unless it is only called that by those who don't properly understand the eurpoean languages and prefer to use a corrupt word that has nothing to do with Spirituality but only to fool the public into false, fabricated, distorted religious docterins of pathological, sanctified, racist system of white superimacy. African Spirituality is not Religion and Religion is not African Traditional Spirituality. What is spirituality...simply put...it is "The Natural Order of Things" and Religion is not. Be carful what you ask for because you might get it and that is to say once one learns the Truth there is no turning back to the Lie because it can't be excepted ever agin when it comes to the African.

Ase`

4. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I know that's right, brotha Moorf.

I'm just looking at an idea. It has nothing at all to do with religion. It's a universal principle and I'm sure it has a name in the African traditions but I don't know what that name is so I have to call it faith.

5. ClarKint

ClarKint Member MEMBER

Life Coach
    Ratings:
    +4
    Wow...thanks for the wonderful food for thought, River

Well said. I brings to mind for me is: We can think our way into new behaviors or we can behave our way into new thinking.

Thanks for inspiring me to pause and reflect on the whole concept of "faith"

ONE LUV

6. Moorfius

Moorfius Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +27
    Concepts of Right Knowedge*

Hotep

The name is...after internalizing the concepts of the origenal 77 commandments that we live by to prepare our minds, bodies and spirits to communicate with the higher spirituality...that practice is MAAT and M`TAM...faith has nothing to do with it. We have learned to use faith from the crazy eurpeans because of the lack of anything else...so we have Faith and no understanding of what we have faith in. We don't need faith we must learn, know and then Become what it is we are suppose to be. Guilt is a totaly and absolute foreign emotion to the so-called African...we don't feel Guilt about any thing! Let the white man have all of his Crazy notions that he made up and we return to sanity and our origenal traditional Spirituality.

Ase`

7. Sefirot

Sefirot Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +14
    Peace Sister River. Excellent post (my frequency's been down lately :) ).

In this scenario, I would maintain that you don't truly know the 747. What I mean is, you would have more than "faith" enough to place one arm underneath a sharp knife, because you're more than confident in your ability not to drop the blade with the other. You know your right arm won't harm the left. Faith doesn't even enter the equation. So, I think faith is most certainly not a concept synonymous with knowledge. It inherently suggests an "unknown."

On the contrary, once you know, you know. There is no need for so-called faith, no need to "hope" or "envision." And I mean this particularly as it relates to those who loosely speak of "faith in God." Like a mere belief in a higher force unwitnessed and unrealized. I sadly think we have become truly detached from The Most High ("fallen"?) when we are at the point of possessing no more than faith. And granted, having faith in a greater Power is certainly a respected step in the right direction of knowing or "realization," but by no means is it an end to our means.

Another point perhaps worthy of noting is that Western epistemology is based largely (entirely?) on empirical or mathematical evidence-the latter of which is very poorly comprehended and utilized. Therefore, something outside of that mode of thought simply can't be realized. They are forced to settle for faith instead. And because they ACCEPT scriptures (presented by...) as an authority, and these scriptures convey that there is "a God," they feel compelled to insist on their emphatic belief/faith in such. The Bible then becomes verbatim to study and kneel under without hopes of ever overstanding (as they clearly have no knowledge of SELF).

But of course, there are those who are quite aware of intangible, yet terrestrial evidence. So, at this point I think we need to be mindful of our meaning of spirituality. The spirit manifests in the liquids of the body, primarily the blood. As such, there are plenty of spiritual people, and likely plenty more spirits. It's a matter of the sprit(s) to which these individuals can/choose to relate. Such is to say, a devil knows a devil well. We Gods need to awaken and realize the SELF within us, and rise above having faith that IT’s there.

8. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Then mybe "faith" is not the right word for what I am thinking of. It has been drilled into us for so many hundreds of years it's difficult to view it any other way.

It doesn't take faith to know that God exist. It does take faith to believe that h/she has given one person or nation jurisdiction over all truth. But then, is that faith or foolishness?

Based on the definition I gave above what would be a more fitting word?

9. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    Faith can mean several things. I like to think of faith as one of the ultimate expressions of love. In the positive faith is like knowing you will wake up tomorrow without a guarantee of such. Most of us live our lives by faith yet we never say it nor do we realize it. For instances there is not a single person that can say with 100% certainty that they will wake tomorrow from slumber. However evaluating ones situation and factoring certain conditions one can say the likelihood of waking up tomorrow is better than great. This is still not a guarantee. Many of us live as though we will not only wake up from slumber tomorrow but we will wake up from daily slumber for years to come. This is faith. Without this sort of faith we would never plan for the future. We would live our lives daily accepting what the day bring.

Another kind of faith is knowing if we don't wake up tomorrow it will still be okay. Whether it be moving on to heaven or joining ancestors or end of existence still we are okay with that. One thing can say for certainty is though we may not know if we will wake we certainly know we will sleep. Eventually we must close our eyes and rest at the end of the day. Sleep is not a bad thing. Infact some of us think sleep is a very good thing. Sleep is the time when we are made anew. We change in this life daily until we change completely. Sleep is also symbolic of refuge and sanctuary. At one time our people looked forward to sleep because no longer could they be affected by the turmoil of the day. This was the time of slavery.

It is impossible for a person to completely lack faith. Even in the worst conditions a person looks forward to sleep for the pain to stop. So for certain faith is tied to awakening and sleeping. Faith is also connected to trust, hope and desire. Faith is viewed as positive by most people but faith can also be negative. The opposite of faith in the since of hope is doubt and despare. Regardless there is always faith. One can place their faith in things being alright or all wrong. This is the law of opposites. Order requires balance and harmony. For this to happen there must be equal yet opposing forces..

Faith could be called religion and also have nothing to do with religion. Our individual relationship with our God is unique to each person. Even in the same religion no one person has the same relationship with God. The only time we come close to having the same relationship with God is when we don't have one at all. Still this is impossible as well. There are those who send incredible ammounts of time and energy proving there is no God. If there is no God why go though the trouble? Because they have faith. Faith that there is no God. So again we see we can't escape faith. No matter how different it is still faith as along as there is an unforeseeable future...

Peace....

10. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Peace brotha Rad,

I see the truth in what you are saying for there is always an unforseeable future.

I am thinking that the opposite of faith is not so much dount as it is paralysis and the opposite of dount is gullibility. Faith and doubt work together to bring us to truth for when we doubt what proves to be false we open the door to experience something else. But when faith is gone we become paralyzed. We don't want to experience anything else Like you said that brings despair. Then we have no doubt that all is lost.

I like to look at words in different ways. It helps people understand each other better.

Hotep