Black Poetry : a conscious thought...

Discussion in 'Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On!' started by baller, May 25, 2002.

1. baller

baller Well-Known Member MEMBER

Canada
    Ratings:
    +836
    why is the majority of inmates
    BLAK?
    hmmm!!!

is it coz the system is against us?
    does racism prevent us
    from coming CORRECT

o'kay...o'kay

even if you account for the five percent
    who are innocent
    what about the ninety-five percent that went

let's talk about that

is the remaining ninety-five percent
    guilty...or innocent
    hmmm...
    let's ask that question again

why is the majority of those incarcerated
    BLAK

we teach our kids;
    "take responsibility for what you did"
    is that true?
    do we own our actions
    or, are we reacting to an unjust system
    when we're breaking and entering
    ...killing our children with crack cocaine
    and all that stuff
    that others define us (by)

why are WE the majority
    of the yard

is it coz
    we didn't kill that brutha
    ova anotha drug deal gone bad

is it coz
    HE didn't rob the hood store
    or shoot the neighbor whore
    who gave him AIDS

is it coz
    HE didn't pop his lady's eye
    then lie to the man 'bout why
    he had to TAKE OUT his dawg
    who he found in his bed
    at three in the a.m.

why are my bruthaz
    numbers
    so high
    behind ENEMY walls

is it because
    they were
    framed?
    set up?
    phucked up?
    were they the product
    of a conspiracy
    to destroy you and me
    or, self-serving opportunists
    seeking benjamins for free
    given a "go-to-jail-quick" card
    or "die where you stand"
    they opted for the first
    ...gave IN to the man

was that me?

are we truly free?

weren't it the majority of inmates who said;
    "The Blak Man is being persecuted and violated
    slated for extinction through annihilation
    yet...some of us still be praising this nation."

I'M NOT SUPPORTING AN UNJUST SYSTEM...I'M JUST SAYING THAT, WHATEVER THEY DO, WE HAVE TO BE TRUE.

real.

2. msluciousb

msluciousb Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed, Business Consultant
    Ratings:
    +6
    Deep very thought provoking piece!

Been missing you around this place...thanks for the thought provoking read. The question has so many possible answers
    and raising so many more questions. The more we look at the
    situation the more hopeless it seems. But, the time is coming
    that we must address all that it entails and what we must do
    in order to correct this problem that rages in our community.
    "We have seen the enemy, and the enemy is 'us'!
    BLESSINGS ON YA HOUSE!

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    this here say a lot coz it's a on going problem
    we r kept under to keep us from da glory which we
    so have rights too.... who's da one guilty................?

4. shaz

shaz Well-Known Member MEMBER

business/management
    Ratings:
    +1
    All of that more
    but the reality is that the black man is a born suspect and it is always easier to catch a known suspect then a presumed innocent, because the suspect is already under surveillance (profile), and the prosecution already kkknowes that he’s got no money no lawyer no chance and innocent or not once he is accused the chances of a conviction are phenomenally greater.
    When my peopled cheered at the conclusion of the O.J trial we were not cheering for O.J because he hasn’t been black for many years and we didn’t all assume him to be innocent either, but the reality is that he was prosecuted as a black man and for the first time in the history of this great nation a black man who was accused of a crime against a white women was able to buy a fair trial. And the amount of money that the prosecution spent is clear indication that there are certain crimes and certain lives that are of greater value than others.

5. alyce

alyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Counselor
    Ratings:
    +85
    dealing with this as I type....

It's been a long while since you've shared. And on the day I read you again...I've had my own experience with our brothaz who are incarcerated. In my day to day...I have occasion to go by the men's facility.... and today... I saw them returning from what I'm certain was a long day at various courts. And I'm sad to say, they were all my people.

I looked long and hard.... it was black on black.....in a black and white County bus.

You raise many important questions. I've love a tete a tete with you some time on the subject.

Don't be a stranger. :heart:

Alyce

6. baller

Canada
    Ratings:
    +836
    THANKS for the feedback, FAM...too many of US behind enemy lines...too many of US putting selF in harms way. we've gotta be better than that.

THANKS FOR READING...AND THE LOVE.

7. cocobutterskyn

cocobutterskyn Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Spreading Joy.... need some?
    Ratings:
    +221
    Baller, Lately this very subject has been heavy on my heart.

I was writing a short story and needed some info on life behind bars. I found a site that was so sad and what was startling to me,
    there were many inmates ages 21-30 who have been incarcerated since the ages of 15-17 and still have more years to serve, a lot even have life.
    Many of them are very talented. The site showcase their poetry, short stories and art. So many black men with so much potential locked away. :(

This piece moved me as did the site.

Scribeaboutit! It helps.
    CCBSKYN :heart:

8. YeshuJah

YeshuJah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know anymore--

This subject is so hurtful and mind weary- but I have a problem with the mostly accepted notion that the black man is marked from birth and as such is bound to fail- I'm an immigrant, yes- YeshuJah is from 'cross de water' can't tell ya how many times I've bin told to go back. I came to this country in 1989 as a high school dropout with a desire to succeed- I studied for, took and passed the GED while working at a cleaners for peanuts and cleaning offices at night- my first winter in this country, the winter of 1989(on record as one of the worst by Florida standards, there was ice everywhere) I rode a bike to both jobs, determined to succeed- One night while coming back from the night job around 2:00AM on a lonely deserted street, I stopped at a stop sign and a truck full of young white guys pulled up(big rebel flag painted on truck and all) , called me ******, screamed at me, but the MOST HIGH GOD was by my side, they left me and rode off into the night- I rode that bike places most people wouldn't, put myself through a trade school with the help of loans that are, as far as I know, available to anyone.(Electronics Technology, a 6 month course) only to find out when I took the credits to the state Community College that they were no good. As an immigrant I didn't know- But I didn't give up. I enrolled, could not enter into the AS or AA program right away because my math score was too low on the College Entrance Exam- so I did remedial classes, all the while still working 2 jobs- The whole story is too long to go into here- Today, through the blessings of JAH and hard work I own my own house(2600 Sq Ft on 1.5 acre lot), drive cars I want to, am married to a beautiful woman, care for 2 kids not my own and one that's mine; work at a job where I am the only person without at least a BA or BS- No. I'm still not finished but am a senior at the University of Central Florida and still adapting. Let me say that I am not telling all of this to uplift myself, please do not misunderstand me- But until someone can explain to me how it is I, and many others come to this country and can succeed, while some who are born here fail on a profoundly and seemingly predictive way, I'll never understand it- This whole thing baffles me immensely. I ride through the run down neighborhood in Winter Park where I started and still see guys doing the same thing I met them doing when I first came here- NOTHING. Standing in front of a store all day bulshitting! JAH knows, it hurts me. Somebody explain this to YeshuJah.

9. baller

Canada
    Ratings:
    +836
    Coco...in '92, i did a piece on black-on-black crime. for that piece, like you, i interviewed inmates...as well as kids on the streets of south central. what i found most alarming was their bleak outlook on life. from the perspective of those in jail, they were where they were supposed to be. from the perspective of those on the streets, they would either be dead or in jail by age twenty-five. so, they had to get theirs while they could. UNFORTUNATELY, nothing anyone would say would get them beyond their expectations.

YeshuJah...being an immigrant, you may be unfamiliar with the term INSTITUTIONALIZED. think of it like this, a prisoner can be emprisoned for so long that he don't believe he can make it on the outside...so, when he's released, he commit other crimes just to return to the SANITY to which he's accustomed. so, too, with the SLAVE'S MENTALITY. some of us are caught up in a cycle of helplessness...in which they cannot see an avenue to success...so, they don't even try. it becomes easier to do nothing...to blame others for our failures...than to RAISE UP. NO...it's not ALL their fault--if you're aligning fault--however, they are partly, if not mostly, responsible for their circumstance. beyond that, i don't know what to tell you.

PEACE, my brutha...and much success to you.

10. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56
    Baller,

So many times, your poems pull the thoughts out of me and this time, this poem is no exception. I live in a state (Fla) where there are more black men in prison than there are in the population of it. Ninety percent of all babies born in northwest florida in 2002, that had AIDS were black babies. Sometimes, I wonder with all the probs we have in the black community, if it boils down to lack of black leaders who will stand up and say enuff my brothas...enuff.
    There are certain things that we as a people need to except as our falult and our fault. We are a people who have more or less, accepted the euro way of life and it is hurting us to a deep degree. Anyway, this is a poetry forum so I shut my mouth honey.

I liked the way you lined yours words and the reverse feature for deeper thought. Keep provoking me to think.

Joyce