Black Authors : A closer look at publishing programs

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by AHMOSE, Jul 31, 2005.

1. AHMOSE

AHMOSE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Mechanical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have written my book. Now what?

In the past, authors were often left feeling disappointed by the rejection of their manuscript from a major publisher, leaving them with almost no other option for getting their books published. Today, with the advance of technology, diverse options exist in the publishing world. Many folks have asked me what book publishing options are out there for new authors. The answer to this question lies below:

1. Traditional Publishing. With traditional publishing, authors send their manuscript to major publishers only to have them sit on a shelf somewhere. Nowadays, don’t even think about sending your manuscript to a major publishing house. Besides, just about every single one of them no longer accepts manuscripts directly from authors.

2. Hiring an agent. Major publishers are more likely to consider your book if an agent selects it. This can give you access to some of the benefits of being associated with a major publisher. In other words, you have one foot in the door. However, keep in mind that agents usually get a 15% cut from your work and you will most likely have to pay for and carry out your own promotion.

3. Vanity/Subsidy Publishing. For a high fee (between $3,000 to $12,000), you can get at least 500 copies of your book published. However, beware of the minimum or no promotion program offered by vanity publishers and the possibility of losing ownership of your book to the publisher. What is the benefit of using a vanity publisher? You can say you have a publisher.

4. Traditional Self-Publishing. If you have the time, energy, and the money, traditional self-publishing may be your best option. Most importantly, you retain full ownership of your work. However, you will have to do your own editing, designing, distribution, order fulfillment, and promotion. The distribution phase can be the most challenging since major bookstores tend to cater to distributors which require certain criterion that many first time authors can’t meet. However, there are a few book distribution programs developed for self published authors that can help them gain access to major wholesalers.

5. POD-AKA Print on Demand. With print on demand, you can start out with as many books as you want printed for a low fee while cutting production costs. Besides, print on demand publishers offer various marketing assistance programs that the author can choose from and they usually offer automatic acceptance into wholesale programs with major book chains. While POD provides the author with as much control as traditional self-publishing, beware of POD contracts that may make it difficult for you to move to other publishing venues. Also, make sure that the publisher can handle high volumes, should the demand for your book multiply.

What is an author to do?

You can do your own research on the self-publishing industry and allocate the time, money and skills to bring your book into print. "The only person limiting your success is you"

~Soulja~

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    thankz for such needed inlighting information .

3. sarcasm4eva

sarcasm4eva Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +17
    this was very helpful information for me as im trying to put a book out. do subsidy/vanity publishers really charge that high of a price? what option would u recomend for 1st time writers? last, do u know of any reputable subidy publishers? i got an offer from Dorrance, have u ever heard of them?

4. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    you should self publish and that publishing co. is i think 85 years in the business
    but can be costly not sure.

5. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Okay people, let me give you the best deal in town for yourself, for your money and for your book. I want everyone to plug into "Trafford Publishing". It's for those who want to self publish, upgrade at any time, retain their rights to their work, get 60% profit, and even use them for distribution while still doing your own thing. Try www.trafford.com and get going! Peace! I'll give you another part to your publishing program a little later!
    Hetep!!!
    Keita Kenyatta!

6. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    thankz for this as i was taken a stroll throughout i saw and felt some great
    things , learning the pathway to better fit my needs and budget and become
    published .....great infomation

7. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    You're welcome Brother, wait till I tell you part two of this: Better yet, I can either call you or have you call me...let me know which.

Hetep

Keita Kenyatta