Black Spirituality Religion : A Christian who doesn't like other Christians

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by MsInterpret, Apr 15, 2011.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    I stopped going to church about a year ago. I mean really stopped. I was raised in the church, but I have seen each church that I've attended, split. And one reason was because they had a new pastor and some members wanted music in the church and others didn't
    The next church the pastor was told to step down because he lying on his taxes and taking the church money for personal purposes.
    The church that I was last at the members in the church thought that preacher was being too demanding and too aggressive in his preachings.

My mom and I got into an argument cause she started naming all the members that left the church to follow the preacher some where else.

And I said, "They can do that."

She said, "But they are following a man. You aren't supposed to follow a man."

Who is to say that these people are following this preacher because he is a man, I say it's because they like how he preaches and yet they still believe in the word.

I mean come on!

And I'm so sick of how some "Christians" act. I'm no holy person or self-righteous person by any means. But don't front about my issues and act as if they don't exist. And these Christians can't even get their church issues situated. Splitting up the church up like a divorce...

I respect the Bible...But other Christians...barely...

There's too many denominations, there's too many different views and interpretations of the Bible which has caused the division between thousands of other "Christian" churches.

I mean really? Is this what God's purpose is?

I have not turned my back on God...I have turned my back on the church and it's people.

Indecisive group of people.

2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

Well, at least, you're honest about it! :toast: :lol:

3. Proverbs31Woman

Proverbs31Woman Be kinder than necessary! MEMBER

Ratings:
    +877
    Yes, we all fall short and even the shepherd of a flock looses their way, and it is quite sad to see. You may try to seek God first by reading the Word, praying and asking Him for guidance...Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

4. rapunzal24

rapunzal24 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    I totally understand everything that you are saying in your post. Maybe this is the beginning of a period of enlightenment for you. It is a good thing that you see the hypocrisy, and you recognize your own faults, I believe that those are the two biggest things that a Christian can do. Now it is between you and God and He will guide you to where you should be, a place that you can go and congregate with others and receive the truth. Godspeed sista.

5. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    Love your honesty.

I believe that Jesus is coming to take the Church anyway, and it has been used and exploited. but I hope that you can also see that, according to the Bible and in my opinion, back when the Church was consummated, the Book of Revelations, revealed that out of at least 6 of the 7 Churches, they had problems from the get go. the Holy Spirit addressed the issues that each of the Churches had and needed to deal with. And to me that means that part of the Church functioning properly is dealing with our human problems. There is perfection in continuing to deal with issues, human issues, under the body of Christ...until he comes to judge actions completely.

So even though the Church people can be so frustrating, all of these issues will be worked out anyway, by Jesus Christ eventually.

6. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560

No, I never said YOU said you were "better" than other Christians.

Yes, I read what you SAID....I asked that question because of your previous comments.

Here is what you did SAY:

continued.....

7. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560

Admittedly, you have a conflict between your "faith" and the "world."

Admittedly, you have a "bad taste in your mouth" about the church from your experiences/observations in it.

Now, no, I don't know what all you've been through or what you've seen in the church that has turned you off and away so severely.

Isaiah 9:
    [17] ... for every one is an hypocrite and an evildoer, and every mouth speaketh folly. For all this his anger is not turned away, but his hand is stretched out still
    .​

However, here you are "condemning" those in the church as "hypocrites" and as those who either don't "read the Bible" or who "twist the Bible" and "those who don't admit/in denial" of their own sinfulness.

....all these so-called "Christian" folk who talk one way but act another.

Now, yes, I will agree that there are some churches which need some better leadership, some better guidance, more Bible teaching than "tradition-seeking." ---And even in those churches, there is still some good...there can still be found in them those who are daily striving in their "walk," their "journey," SINNING and CONFESSING and PRAYING for forgiveness and God's help to live/walk closer to Him.

However, you come off as being rather "holier than thou" yourself by "CLAIMING to be a Christian" who "doesn't like other Christians"...yet, one who "respects the Bible."

Mark 12:
    [29] And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
    [30] And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
    [31] And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

All this talk about "little c's and big Cs" is just a division you've placed between yourself and those you call "hypocrites" because them so-called "Christians" are all up in tha CHURCH, "fakin' & shakin'," so YOU gone be "BETTA" than that and just not go to church cuz YOU're so "aware of" and "truthful" about YOUR "faults."

"A sinner is a sinner is a sinner."---There are no "BIG" sinners and "little" sinners.

Rom.2:
    [1] Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things
    .​

But, if you believe the Bible that says we are ALL sinners and ALL "fall short," then the church is not a place for "perfect" Christians.....The church is a "hospital" for sinners......It's like a "support group" for "recovering hypocrites." (And everybody is at a different "stage/level" in their "recovery.")

So, any of us who "claim" to be "Christians," at any time, are behaving or thinking against God's Word, then we are sinning in hypocrisy.-----But, the "true" Christian, the sinner Christian, is convicted by the Spirit and is repentant and strives to correct his/her errors/sins.

Mark 2:
    [16] And when the scribes and Pharisees saw him eat with publicans and sinners, they said unto his disciples, How is it that he eateth and drinketh with publicans and sinners?
    [17] When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

8. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560

....As a Christian, often, throughout the day, I will say a silent, "Lord, forgive me" for something that I did or said or even thought.....the Holy Spirit convicts me, and I ask forgiveness, and I rebuke Satan away from me by the name of Jesus.

When I sin, when I stumble in my way, I strive to correct myself and ask God's help in doing, speaking, and thinking as He would have me.

And I do get so tired of some people who will see a Christian sin in some way and use that to point a finger in saying, "Look at that so-called 'Christian' acting like that....I tell ya, them so-called 'Christians' aint nuthin' but some hypocrites."

When, on the outside-looking in, they don't know how that man or woman has prayed or is praying on that error/weakness, striving to walk closer to Christ....to keep His commandments...to "yield not to temptation," in asking God's help to conquer his/her flesh.

And even those who want to "correct" them, often do so with condemnation instead of with love and concern.

Colossians 4:
    [6] Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.​

....With that said, I'm not intending to hurt you here.....Actually, my heart aches for the underlying anger and pain that you obviously feel from your experiences in church and the behaviors of some of the people there. I can see that these experiences have added "fuel to the fire" with your own personal conflicts in your own Christian walk.

I may not be able to convince you otherwise on the views you hold right now; but I can pray that God heals your heart and gives peace to you so that you can draw closer to Him and to His Word and back into the church....a church where you can see past those members who have helped frame your present view and see those who "walk by faith and not by sight."

1 Timothy 1:
    [15] This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.​

9. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

I totally understand your predicament.

The church i grew up in once had a preacher whose wife was so controlling that no one could stand her. To be fair about it, he was put in a lose lose situation anyway because the former preacher was so well loved by the congragation that you could have put TD Jakes in his place and TD would have had problems at least in the beginning. But this guy was so controlled by his wife and her demanding ways, especially about money that it totally split the church to the point that deacons were carrying guns in the church....

They were ready to bang for the Lord and i never knew god needed protection....lol

- i guess they hadn't gotten to this chapter and verse in their bible study at that time. Which is funny because we used to go to bible study at his house and they would assign us all to different tribes as spoken of in the bible, but no one had any outside info. about these tribes other than their names as written in the bible.....

i was around 14 at the time and some of these very deacons are who helped to raise me in the church and i couldn't believe that they would be ready to shoot anyone who oppossed this new guy. I mean they were actually carrying guns in the church? I saw this first hand because i was on the jr. treasury board so after the collection plates were passed we would leave and go downstairs to count the money. when we were finished one of the deacons would come in to take the dough and our tallies i guess to put it in the safe until the next day when the banks were opened. But when he would bend over to pick up the money you could see the buldge on his hip under his suit jacket that was never there before and one of my friends sitting across the table from me said he actually saw the handle of it sticking out!

This is just one of the reasons i question everything these religious people try to tell me because at the end of the day, their math don't add up....

I've seen so much go down in the church that like you, i walked away and stopped going and have never looked back......Ironically, that's when i first picked up the bible to read it for myself and have done so a couple of times to the point i can have bible study with any group (and i have) and i'll be the only one at the table without a book in front of them, while the others from their respective religious groups frantically flip back and forth thru the pages trying to find out if what i just quoted is actually in THEIR book! A preacher actually left his own house thru a door in the basement while we were having bible study because he couldn't dispute what i was saying in front of him and his people and he got furious and stepped over me (as i was sitting next to him on a couch in his basement) without saying excuse me and walked thru some back room and came back 30 minutes later to tell us all it's time for us to leave, basically.

- It's funny to see though that you post YOUR PERSONAL FEELINGS about christians and so called christians and here comes some 'christians' to tell you to hold on to your faith, or that there is really no such thing as a hypocrite in the church. When they should be telling you that YOU are the church! The church is not the building. You are the 'temple/church' and that as long as you keep building yourself up on the inside, there is nothing or anyone in the 'church' that will be able to penetrate YOUR CHURCH!

In Spanish the word for church is Iglasi'a which means Community, not a building. So as long as you stay focused on your god and evolving into a better you on the daily, then you will be insturmental in helping to improve your iglesia by improving you. One's who do this are only doing what the first law of the universe has asked of us which is to stay in motion and upward bound.

This is why when people ask god for stregnth, or whatever it is they are asking/praying for they always look upwards and stretch out their hands. It's not that they think he's up there somewhere, but they look up sub-conciounsly because it is symbolic of needing to be on a higher plane of existance.... Tears usually follow this event because of the exchange of electromagnetic energy bouncing off of the church windows and walls produced by the serotonin in the brain that is being released at high levels during this emotional outburst. You can tell this is happening because the individual usually will produce a sensation in their body commonly known as "THE CHILLS"................

whoa, i just got the chills typing all of that.....lol

I humbly leave you in peace

10. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I made the same decision about six years ago. But it wasn't because of the behavior of other Christians. From the time I was a small child going to Church has been for me one painful experience after the other yet the more I saw the ugly behavior in the Church the more I clung to God.

What made me decide to leave were hings I read in the Bible that made it impossible to continue thinking of it as the word of God. The Bible is the foundation of the Church and outside of it there is no basis for Christianity. When that foundation crumbled I left. But like you I did not leave God--only the Christian concepts of God with the rituals and beliefs that developed around those concepts.

There are those who will urge you to keep looking for a Church with good people. That is your choice. It is clear that there is no difference between Christians and others. They do good things and they do bad things. If you go to Church for spiritual sustenance yet there is nothing there that is truly unique and cannot be found elsewhere then why go?Just to have somewhere to go? Again, it is your choice. You're going to feel good when you go. Anywhere Black folks are gathered and good music is playing you're going to have a good time. You have to weigh the good and the bad and decide if you are really getting what you need.