Pan Africanism : A challenge for Zuleilah2

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by panafrica, Mar 16, 2004.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Zuleilah2:

You are well versed in the problems that exist in Africa, and with the troubled relationships between African Americans & Africans throughout the Diaspora. However to encounter negative news about Africans (or any other black people), all one has to do is read the paper or watch the news. There is no shortage of negative news or depictions about Black people in any & every country. Yet PanAfricanism is not about concentrating on the negative, it calls for Africans throughout the Diaspora to use what we have in common, to unite. PanAfricanism is about building bridges & healing, not picking at old wounds. Therefore, I challenge you to say something positive about Africa. Give some encouraging news about relationships between African Americans and their brothers & sisters in other countries. Tell us about ways we can improve our relationships with our foreign counterparts. Please use this thread to do so. If you can not....might I be so bold in saying that you are probably in the wrong place.

2. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Still waiting patiently......................

3. zuleilah2

zuleilah2 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    You said...You are well versed in the problems that exist in Africa, and with the troubled relationships between African Americans & Africans throughout the Diaspora. However to encounter negative news about Africans (or any other black people), all one has to do is read the paper or watch the news. There is no shortage of negative news or depictions about Black people in any & every country. Yet PanAfricanism is not about concentrating on the negative, it calls for Africans throughout the Diaspora to use what we have in common, to unite. PanAfricanism is about building bridges & healing, not picking at old wounds. Therefore, I challenge you to say something positive about Africa. Give some encouraging news about relationships between African Americans and their brothers & sisters in other countries. Tell us about ways we can improve our relationships with our foreign counterparts. Please use this thread to do so. If you can not....might I be so bold in saying that you are probably in the wrong place.

Z: AND...may I be so bold to say that until you understand there are both negatives and positives on the continent but, that it's the negatives that foment so much misery, labeling yourself as a Pan Africanist is no more than giving lip service to an ideology you seem to have embraced only on paper or in cyberspace.

I've experienced decades of positives and negatives on the continent. But let's face it. It's not the positives that has scores of CAs lining up to catch planes to points AWAY from their homelands.

There's more to Africa than what you see on the tourist track.

Embracing only the positive - that which makes you feel good, while shunning that which makes you squirm with discomfort is not the mark of someone who claims to be concerned about his/her community - here or abroad.

And guess what?

Such an attitude plays right into the hands of African governments who would prefer that you continue to wear blinders.

You are something else!

Surely you could have come up with a better diversionary tactic than "challenging" me to post something positive about Africa.

smh

This is just a way of deflecting attention away from posts where you discussed African issues before researching them thoroughly and then posted information that was obviously incorrect.

If you are in such need for feel-good ‘positive news’, then please follow your own advice – read the paper, watch the news and use this thread to spread as much sunshine as you want.

You won't any trouble finding all you want.

I’m interested in more meatier fare - the not so pretty side of Africa – the Africa I can’t take my four kiddos to visit because of the continued fighting in their Father’s homeland (Warri, Nigeria) – the Africa many don’t want to acknowledge, read about or hear about – the Africa no one wants to see when they go to visit, because “nobody wants to look at that stuff!”

Some people see and hear only what they want to see and hear.

Knowledge is power.

Arm yourself!

4. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Zuleilah you don't know what my experiences are, nor how I practice PanAfricanism. If you have experienced decades of positives and negatives in Africa, then why don't you share both? All you share are you negative experiences, and how Africans didn't warm themselves to, or welcome you. Well if you behaved there the same way you behave here, then I don't blame them for rejecting you, because so do I.

I can't take my daughter to her mother's homeland of Equatorial Guinea (a country you spoke of, but know next to nothing about), because the country is run by a madman that would kill her & my wife as soon as they stepped foot in the country. The bad news I get about the country comes not just from the paper, but also straight from the mouths of relatives. Do I tolerate this? Do I except it? NO!!! I write articles, tell anyone who will listen about the injustices going on in E. Guinea. I pledge support to groups dedicated to improving conditions in the country. I try to help. What I don't do is just nag & complain. You are only interested in the not so pretty side of Africa........that is plain to see Zuleilah. What you aren't interested in is finding solutions. All you seem to be capable of is talking about the negative. As I told you before, if you don't have any positive contribution to make, then you don't belong here!! :mad:

5. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    In addition to what I wrote above, my father in-law has spent the past 20 years working to replace the Obiang Nguema regime in Equatorial Guinea. My in-laws were among the 1/3 of the country that were killed or exiled during the reign of Macias Nguema. My father-in-law himself has survived assassination attempts from Obiang Nguema because he feared being overthrowed. He could not even attend his father's funeral because he would have been killed if he re-entered Equatorial Guinea. Yet despite all of this, he loves Africa, and is a PanAfricanist. He is a PanAfricanist because he knows the only way to solve Africa's problems is by working together with people who care about the continent (other Africans & Africans in the Diaspora). In addition to having love for Africa in general he has love for his homeland, as does my wife. He talks about what was good about it more than he does what is wrong with it. When you have LOVE for something, how can you just focus on the bad? It is easy to tear apart, what is more difficult is trying to build. I choose the latter, it is unfortunate that you choose the former. Preach your gospel of hate, negativity, and criticism somewhere else....."sister".