Black People : A Black Neocon's view of Richard Pryor

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by panafrica, Dec 13, 2005.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    http://www.nydailynews.com/12-12-2005/news/col/story/374139p-317932c.html

2. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    I'm not surprised at the tone of Stanley Crouche's oped Piece.

He usually say what white folks love to hear.

I have a friend, a journalist named Playthel Benjamin, who incidentally, used to write for the Daily News. Guess who took his place. Stanley Crouch

3. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    I'm not a neo-con or a conservative period but I totally agree with his article.

I think Richard was a very talented man...like Tupac....who allowed the enemies of both him and us to manipulate and exploit his talent to the umph degree in a way to further demonize and associate us with immorality.

I don't see him as an enemy or even a necessarily bad person and hope God rests his soul. He just took advantage of an opportunity brought to him but he was a bad role model and actually helped to open a gate for other Black comedians:

Eddie Murphy
    Chris Rock
    Whoopi Goldberg
    Martin Lawrence

To get on stage and say things before the world that most people with pride and common sense would never say in public.

I remember in lecture I attened in Chicago, Dr. Khalid Muhammad warned that one day we'll form a Black liberation army, come up on stage where these clowns are performing, and "whip their ***" for disgracing us before the world.

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Whew, brother Pan, you tryna make me mad this afternood, aint'cha???(smile!)

I'm not gone dignify this freakin' driveling, non-talented human being's rantings... He aint even a third rate writer, and an even lesser human being... Like Brother Sekhemu said, he says what massa wants him to say, so what more can we expect...

I wonder how Wynton Marsalis reconciles his deep relationship with this creature from the Black Lagoon - Playthell, too, brother Sek???

Peace!
    Isaiah

5. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

Playthell and Stanley are like night and day.

Playthell was "let go" from the Daily News because of "editorial" differences with managing editors. Basically they couldn't take a black man standing up to them, so he became another literary casualty.

The most I can say about their "relationship" is that it is cordial at best. Stanley lives in the village (with his white wife) Playthell lives in harlem and surrounds himself with mostly black intelligencia and educators.

By the way, Playthell and Wynton had a falling out of sorts some time ago. I'm not sure if they're on good terms anymore.