Black People : A Black Man in Oklahoma may have infected over 170 women with HIV

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by panafrica, May 6, 2004.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    According to this article:

http://www.channeloklahoma.com/news/3270351/detail.html

A man named Anthony Whitfield is facing charges of sexual assault, and is believed to have infected 170 women with HIV. This is a horrible situation for the women involved with this man. However it also confirms something I have long suspected....According to statistics Black Women have the highest rate of HIV in the world. That Black Women outnumber Black Men in HIV infection suggest that many are being infected by the same men (not black men in general). This case certainly provides evidence for my long standing belief. What can I say ladies.....protect yourself!

2. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56
    If I was single today, I would probably become a catholic nun. You just never know the price that you pay until...

3. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Amen, protect yourself and keep your legs closed as long as you can!

4. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Keeping their legs closed, or at least being more selective about who they open their legs for is part of protecting themselves. I am sure none of these 170 women required this man to wear condoms. As seen in this case it only takes 1 irresponsible man to infect/impregnate hundreds of women. We as a people really need to start making more responsible choices in regards to our behavior (sexual or otherwise).

5. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

I've been saying exactly this same thing, in a number of ways...for quite some time, Amen-Ra to that

6. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    I think that Our inability to harness Our love is a big cause for this problem. We have let Ourselves become so divided and disgusted in Our own skins that We have yielded almost everything for Acceptance.

We yield racial and cultural pride and respect for love from Majority America.
    We yield love of self for love of others.
    We yield self-love and survival to fit social norms... and it is killing Us.
    Too many girls and women (esp. African-American girls and women) have been inundated and bombared from outside and inside and made to believe that you are nothing unless you have a man and can keep one.

So, how do you do that? You give all of self, love and dignity to have a man and hold a man. Although, Our very history has shown Us that for Us- African-American women and girls-this is not so, for many of Us have had to go it alone and do everything for Ourselves and for Our families... and cannot see that; that is what makes them not only women; but powerful Women.

And in doing that.. We will work like dogs, Drop Our draws and never question and never complain---AIDS IS JUST ONE PRICE OF US NOT LOVING US.

This argument can be made for black men too.

7. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Best of Destee!

Re-introducing this topic to the family.

8. Steve69

Steve69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Could this really happen? That he could find 170 women that would sex without a condom. This is way sisters have HIV 13 times more than other races. We must change some of our ways to protect ourselfs.

9. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    This is absolutely correct Steve69! For the record this man has already been tried & convicted. The actual number of women he slept with & infected were significantly reduced. However this case still highlights the unsafe sexual practices in our community. This not only contributes to high numbers of veneral diseases, but unwanted pregnancy as well. We have to stop reckless sexual practices in our community. We also need to stop fingerpointing. Sexual behavior is something which every individual has complete control over!

10. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    Goodness

This is scary. We do need to wake up and start protecting ourselves or there wont be any future for any of us....smh