Black Poetry : 90th and McArthur

Discussion in 'Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On!' started by Desert Storm, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Desert Storm

Desert Storm Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +31
    Outside my window
    I can hear
    Bruthaz jivin and arguing and playing
    Outside my window
    Donuts till almost 3' clock
    As drama unfolds on ma street
    So and so carrin his gurl to keep her on lock
    Cops come for Kenny he was at the wrong place at the wrong time
    My cousins fam trying to run game on ma Nanas mind
    Smoking clouds from unfiltered cigarettes downstairs
    The memoriy of Uncle Dean and the yellow walls are all that's left of him there
    Midnight hours with Sara Vaughn
    Ella
    Minnie
    And Chaka Kahn
    Donny as tears roll down my face
    Marvin ya spirit walks through the hallow walls and ya ghost speaks truth
    University Ave and International Blvd used to dream one day I'd be a famous track Star
    Demensions
    first birthday, first forbidden telephone call, first birth of dream unhidden,
    Roger I used to hide from you behind my nanas tall plants
    You would always find me
    I was 4 but had a big crush on you
    The way you smiled
    And talked
    Little gurl with a lady's mind
    Saw ya gurl in the car she kinda looked like me
    I smile
    Eva, Queen Africa, deep sympothy still heart of gold
    To let us come into ya warm lounge
    After Grandaddy pasted you never been the same
    Lighting candles for every holiday
    Want us to call before we come around but we think of you just that way
    Missing you one day we will visit
    You inspired me with poetic speach and your isms that were only you
    Trained up by ma Old School fam
    Taught ya old Gansta rules
    So I was neva fooled
    Taught me how to keep ma cool
    And showed me ma 'fro was right soft how to keep it tyte
    Through ya daddy I clenched ma fist and waived it in the air
    Black Panther dreams of militancy and never being scared
    Son of the preacher you never went there
    Still I'm reminded when you play Larry Grahm
    And documentaries of Shirley Chisolm and Civil Rights
    The city and murals of you all over the place
    Unspoken communication, a nod, a glance of an eye,
    .....school yard playing chase and waking up knowing deres beef everyday
    ....90th and McArthur
    Alone like I'm on an island
    of memories and 80's leather everything
    Green, magenta, black, boots, Chicago elate
    And all ya hats
    Hats for this and that
    As we all gather around, jivin, smokin, drinkin, coniving
    Jerry curls
    High time
    Cords for me and two pigtail braids or sometimes three
    hair full of clips
    I understand why
    No words just this...

2. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Nice scribe, raw at that Sista:yo:

Reminisce on Ms. Storm. You must be talking bout ya ol playas club off over in East "O"......lol..........girl, I grew up on Filbert & Grand(I think that was the cross street) on the West side...LOL...do continue to flow

3. Desert Storm

United States
    Ratings:
    +31
    Gurl dats crazy, babe... I see ya in sactown, me too! I grew up all ova the bay but Oakland is where my mom and dad are from and there parents homes so I was in that neck on and off a lot until I was 16 and then moved out to Stockton for 4 yrs and den finally sactown, who knows what's next ha ha ha! Yea Oaktown ain't the same though so all you can do is reminice ...ever since I left there's been an incline in AIDS and homicides. Everytime I check in wit ma peeps that all I hear so... I don't know what else to say ... thanks Lady Spice
    D.S.

P.S. -Girl you remember that crazy fool in the green and black stripped pants that used to run around lake merit with his shirt off? It was an old do who I think had dreads. Man I don't know how long he's been running around there since I was young. I used to see him all the time as I got older. ha ha ha. Yea, I got downtown stories fa real hee hee hee.

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    heavy scribing here ........on the home fronts

5. Desert Storm

United States
    Ratings:
    +31
    Rich I know man thanks for ya blessing...Spicy what school did you go to? It's a small world... I lived on Thermal Ave down the street from the car wash across the street from the licquore store and Castlemont. I was in the middle of Bishop O'doul and Eastmont Mall.
    D.S.

6. spicybrown

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Yeah it is pretty sad to see those "glorious ghettos" go any lower than they are. I knew there was a high AIDS and homicide rate, but for it to get any worse would make it a war zone. I, too, grew up all over the Bay: Seaside, Monterey, Marina, Oakland, Frisco. For some reason (after being here for 10 years) I just cain't seem to settle into Sac. I'm in the Arden area, and it's beautiful, but nothing compares to Monterey/Marina:sand: Is it the weather, the people, or is it just me? LOL..OH Well......I guess change is good, but the Bay...I couldn't handle a major change to that....too historic

7. spicybrown

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    LOL..I went to Galileo(Frisco) for 2 years (by the wharf).......when it was a high school, now it's some school of sciences....:rolleyes:

8. Desert Storm

United States
    Ratings:
    +31
    Listen gurl the peninsula Palo Alto, Menlo Park and Stanford were get aways for me. They have some tastey food. I have family in San Fran too. Even though I like the city, I don't like the fog. I lived in San Jose and I liked it there but I was mos hot. ha ha ha. Wow, that's amazing I'm in Rancho Cordova. I can't settle into Sac either. My mom and I were just talking about that. The downtown area tries for that Berkely feel but it's just not happening. And I agree a war zone it would be down there in the "glorious ghetto heaven" ha ha ha ... For Sactown Everthing is meshed in together. You go into a nice part and then turn the corner into the hood... I don't understand that. Well, anyways let me get off ma soap box. I can believe you live so close to me that unreal. Maybe we can connect sometime. That would be coo.
    D.S.

9. spicybrown

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    LOL....mann there were plenty of weirdo's. My mother kept me away from that Lake Merritt. I know that Lake was crackin, wasn't it? I know summer of 95' I met Warren G and was 2.9 seconds away from gettin with that! LOL.......I haven't been there in years, literally. I need to go back. I may stop by and see my mother, she lives in the "O" by that BART station.....gotta revisit....:sand:

10. Desert Storm

United States
    Ratings:
    +31
    Wow Spicy yea Warren is sumptin else, huh? I had a dream about him around that time. That's crazy. Wasn't he going through some stuff about then or sumptin, I'm younger than you so if my memory is a lil fuzzy forgive me.... hee hee hee. I just like watching those crazy fools running round the lake all the time. It never failed and if you wanted to see more action just stop downtown. I remember I was walking downtown with my dad and this lady straight peed on the sidewalk right in front of us. We were like, man! lol
    Yea, Memories are good for laughs too.... I knew there was sumptin bout you. ha ha ha
    Well, you definately came from a premium stalk. Man, I haven't been on the BART in so long! I miss being able to get from city to city. Light rail is coo down here but for as big as the valley is they need a Valley Transit period. I didn't go to highschool in Oakland either. I went a semester in ninth grade at Amador Highschool in Pleasanton and my second semester out of school because I lived in oakland at the time. my tenth grade I went to a private school in Fremont, 16, I went to Franklin Highschool in Stockton and then Encina Highschool my senior year on Bell Street and Arden.
    D.S.