Black Spirituality Religion : 90% of Black People are Christians?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Destee, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Peace and Blessings Family,

Brother Tribal House said in another thread the following:

Prior to the above, i don't believe i've ever seen any percentages regarding such things.

90% is a very big number. If it is true, for those who abhor Christians, do you realize that's 90% of your own people?!

Can we unite, overcome, do anything substantive, without 90% of our people? Or even 95%, as many feel disdain for Muslims as well.

Can we afford to throw the Christian Sister or Brother away, or must we figure out a way for us all to work together?

Can the remaining 5% ... those that fall in the "everything else" category ... do it all?

I'd imagine that the last 5%, the "everything else", is divided amongst several different paths, that don't all agree with each other.

Reducing even further, any hope of collective unity, if the majority are rendered useless.

90% of Black People are Christians? That's an astounding number.

I wonder how close to true, it is.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

2. Afru Shukuwr

Afru Shukuwr Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    If 90% are Christians and the goal is to unite everyone wouldnt 90% be pretty much united. Now where is the problem?

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Brother Afru Shukuwr ... good point and question.

Unfortunately though, even if that number is true, we don't act in any kind of united way.

Maybe this is more evidence, that the uniting factor must be something other than Spirituality / Religion.

I don't know ... very interesting indeed.

Thanks for sharing.

:heart:

Destee

4. Afru Shukuwr

Afru Shukuwr Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Uniting everyone is impossible unless everyone is going to be a slave.

Some of us were not born to be spiritual and are here to help stop or regress the upliftment of our minds.

And people are on different levels of spirituality. And when uniting is spoke on it needs to be clarified what is meant. Most of the time it never is and thats why the notion is just thrown out there by supremacy people. It causes emotion but thrawted action or action that is controlled.
    Is it economic uniting, religion, spiritual, social, etc.? What are we looking for?
    If its spiritual it makes no sense for me to lose my consciousness in order to be in line or unite with someone else living on a totally lower vibration.
    All of those other kind of uniting is very minor. There needs to be unification with the spirit people of the time and that is automatically done.
    When Dark people ruled the world there was unification because we were operating under divine law with ancestors in Europe, America, Kemet, etc.

5. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Well, of course, any statistic is not conclusive but can be used as a general overview.

Now, 80 to 90 percent may be a little high; but, statistically, Christianity, and all it's denominations/sects, is the largest religion, worldwide.

Full article: http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

[​IMG]

Major Religions of the World
    Ranked by Number of Adherents

(Sizes shown are approximate estimates, and are here mainly for the purpose of ordering the groups, not providing a definitive number. This list is sociological/statistical in perspective.)

Christianity: 2.1 billion
    Islam: 1.5 billion
    Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion
    Hinduism: 900 million
    Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
    Buddhism: 376 million
    primal-indigenous: 300 million
    African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million
    Sikhism: 23 million
    Juche: 19 million
    Spiritism: 15 million
    Judaism: 14 million
    Baha'i: 7 million
    Jainism: 4.2 million
    Shinto: 4 million
    Cao Dai: 4 million
    Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million
    Tenrikyo: 2 million
    Neo-Paganism: 1 million
    Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand
    Rastafarianism: 600 thousand
    Scientology: 500 thousand

6. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    So, as for any "unity," it seems that we'll need to find other grounds for solidarity cuz it sho won't be religion. :10500:

7. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hey sista Destee.

I feel you on this and would like to address three points.

I think the percentage is highly inflated. The term "christian" means different things to different people and folks will call themselves christian for different reasons. For some just being an American makes them a christian as opposed to being a Muslim or Buddhists or atheist. Then still some are afraid to say they are not christian. Even if they don't believe in Jesus the boldness of saying "no I'm not a christian" may be a level they don't feel ready for. I mean what will the neighbors say?

2. The goal of white supremacy is not to make us all Christians. Christianity is just a tool. The goal is, has been and always will be divide and conquer. This goal can be reached as much with the enlightened African as with the christian or Muslim African. It is the spirit of white supremacy in disguise that goes to the so-called conscious African and says see those Christians and Muslims? They don't know who they are. They serve the white man's god. You're above that. Beyond that. You don't have anything in common with them and you certainly can't work with them or accomplish anything with those sorry saps.

Why should I refuse to work with someone who doesn't share my concept of God? Nobody has seen God. We might be all equally wrong or all equally right because we worship the god that meets our needs. Because we have different needs we will have a different god. But that doesn't mean I can't work with you.

I have said this elsewhere but it bears saying again. white folks are the most disunified folks on earth. You put any 100 white folks in a room. The English will hate the Irish. The Catholics will hate the protestants. The republicans will hate the democrats. The brunettes will hate the blondes. The angloas will hate the saxons. But let one Black man enter that room...let him just look in the window. naw just hang the picture of a Black man on the wall and suddenly all they will know is they are white.

If we could put our differences aside when there is a common goal to acheive together then we will be united.

Knowamsane?

8. A007

A007 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +115
    It COULD BE THO...IF TRUTH WERE THE GOAL...instead of..."what I have been taught" or what "feels good". But, I agree, this will not be the unifying catalyst.

9. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Well, in the mean-time/between-time, we sho need sumpn else.

Otherwise, all we do is go 'round-n-round.
    [​IMG]

10. A007

A007 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +115
    Only thing we all agree about is $1 + $1 = $2. And almost every problem in our communities can be solved if we had enough dollars and KNEW HOW TO USE THEM.